Time for Subscription Service?

And the disadvantages of that sort of thing:
  1. A lot of people don't care to do subscription games.
  2. A lot of people will simply not pay the subscription and drop the game. They're used to playing it for free, paying for cosmetic additions only. That's the way the like it. That's the only way they'll play it.
  3. If this was designed to be EVE but with a full 1:1 galaxy on steroids and everyone expected to pay a monthly fee at least people would have been able to decide to buy it or not. It's not a good idea to change horses in mid-stream.

4. Subscription based game would be really difficult to recover from disasters like Odyssey launch. Players had already payed for the Odessey DLC so to revisit the game every couple months wasn't a big deal. But players aren't going to pay a monthly fee just to see if the game is fixed. Easy to say "don't launch a game breaking DLC"... but it happened. And if it happens again (which it might... because the last one was "unexpected")... it would be game over.

You all seem to think that the trade-off here is free (one-time purchase) vs subscription. Servers and development cost money. If the next version of ED does not sell well enough, there is nothing stopping Frontier from just pulling the plug and focusing on other games. There goes years of exploration, combat rank, trading, etc. poof

Let's hope it never comes to that, but if history is a guide it will.

The trade-off someday may be subscription vs. no Elite at all.

I think there could be a compromise. Everyone has some ideas. Here's another. Keep free-to-play as it is. Offer a subscription to have multiple characters on the same account that you can directly trade amongst, and engineer each other's gear/ trade materials, etc. Take a bit of the grind out of the game, but not impact gameplay.

There could be other benefits like ARX also. Stuff that doesn't directly impact gameplay or make a commander OP, but gives some nice.

I agree that things that change gameplay would be bad. So extra slots or automatic docking, or priority access to ships would be terrible.

You could tier the subscriptions so that you can play for $1.99 per month, $5 and you get a little ARX every month.

I think there are enough signs that Frontier doesn't see ED as a priority sometimes. And that scares some of us.

4. Subscription based game would be really difficult to recover from disasters like Odyssey launch. Players had already payed for the Odessey DLC so to revisit the game every couple months wasn't a big deal. But players aren't going to pay a monthly fee just to see if the game is fixed. Easy to say "don't launch a game breaking DLC"... but it happened. And if it happens again (which it might... because the last one was "unexpected")... it would be game over.
Maybe, but WoW has crashed plenty of times, and they're still charging a huge sub fee.

Maybe, but WoW has crashed plenty of times, and they're still charging a huge sub fee.
Nothing like Odessey launch.... where players had to wait months for it to become functional. It was a saga of updates and still non functional game. It was over 6 months before I could successfully play it.

Also... part of my point was Frontier got the DLC money up-front. Pre-orders gave them cash even before release. If it had been monthly subs... they would have only got a fraction of the cash over that 6-month period of time where all their resources had to go into fixing the game instead of focusing on new stuff.

The fact that this happened is an indicator that Frontier is structured such that this can happen. And might happen again. I'm sure they made a bunch of internal changes...
... but I think their bean counters will still prefer to have customers pay in advance.

Last edited:
So how much should the fee for a hour of playtime be ? Tencent ?

;)
15 pence per hour.

I have no idea I just think that would be marginally more acceptable than a flat subscription where you pay to not play.

I wish the game had have had a low monthly subscription fee since the beginning - with a subscription free tier perhaps. Even 1$ per month would have meant millions of dollars - and a better game - by now.. with more players...

At this point I could only see a kind of sequel to the game being able to start using a subscription model - which we may well never get now.
As I enjoy playing Elite I am glad it didn‘t, though I suppose if it had I might have been slightly fitter and have more money than I have now.

I think there could be a compromise. Everyone has some ideas. Here's another. Keep free-to-play as it is. Offer a subscription to have multiple characters on the same account that you can directly trade amongst, and engineer each other's gear/ trade materials, etc. Take a bit of the grind out of the game, but not impact gameplay.
As far as subscription benefits go this one I can get with, almost. I think that a subscription giving the ability to have multiple saves on one account would be good. However, I believe that fleet carriers should be limited to one per account. The carrier would facilitate the trading you mention though.

I watch all this come up time and again and I am left wondering just how Hello Games manages to provide so many updates to No Man's Sky (over 30) and port it to so many platforms and all with no micro-transactions or cosmetics.
Initial marketing by the publisher leading to massively higher sales than its initial quality deserved and therefore a very substantial cash cushion, without which they'd just have sunk without trace.
Since then actually pretty much the same as Frontier has done with Elite Dangerous most years: primarily funded by continuing purchases of the game by new players. (EDIT: in both cases successful ports of course give a big boost to sales and pay for themselves)
But they have rather more players (partly more marketing, partly seriously downplaying all the "space is big" / "flying a spaceship is complicated" elements that ED's fans like it for) and also a more expensive basic product (which is fair given the rest of their publishing model, I'm not saying it's *over*priced)

Also importantly, the NMS graphics style is a fair bit simpler than ED's, which leads to six ED players who aren't fans of 60's SF aesthetics refusing to play because it's "cartoony" and massive time and therefore cost savings on developing new art assets.

Last edited:
Sorry to say but reading this thread ... I hope it's all 'what if' and 'wouldn't it be nice' for you .... because personally I am against the idea. I don't currently believe there is enough trust in FDev to deliver what a subs model would demand.

I'm mindful of the longevity of ESO, is it two decades and counting now with a ludicrous amount of loot for the Publisher?

I'm a crusty auld sod I'm Scottish), one of my nephews is in his early 40s, he plays ED, and now his wee boy has been introduced on his XBox Series X.. the kid loves it, not just pewpew but other stuff to do that counts in his game. Clever Lad :)

3 Generations playing Frontiers Product...id love it to continue.

I do understand the fears, and in an ideal world nobody would have to pay for anything. Sadly we're not in an ideal world.

Taking the commercial factors that are in play here, and from working in a cruelly commercial environment myself (print publishing) where every penny you spend counts (and has to be recouped two-fold), Frontier has to make money somehow, otherwise there's no game.

I doubt they have massive amounts of money to fund development of new stuff in Elite, so they need to make money.

Clearly people buying skins and ship kits etc isn't cutting it, so they have to monetise whatever they can.

I've had an absolute crap-ton of entertainment out of this game for years and years. I could spend what Elite cost me down the pub in one evening quite easily, or on a takeaway. Or two maybe. So I really don't mind putting my hand in my pocket every now and then.

On another note, I noticed that Aisling Duval's self-appraisal in one of the pre-release screenshots shown in the livestream said she's a 'socailite', so if Frontier wouldn't mind correcting the typo I'd be very grateful...
First worry about delivering a good product, there are excellent games without these economic problems, because they are quite aware of what their community likes.
I don't care about the subscription if it's optional, but if it's not, or if it's pay to win, it's a bummer.
We are in 2024, there is AI, big data, artist talent in industrial quantities, there are excellent companies, some very small, others larger, some games become extinct and others evolve.
First you have to ask yourself what we are doing wrong with what we already have, correct it and then move forward.

More incomes = better and constant content for the game, Dlc, features,etc.
Im not going to say that should be a subscritpion fee like World of warcraft to play, but maybe some kind of optional subscription like Elder Scrolls Online.
The Destiny model of adding paid dlcs every year is not good i think, but some paid DLC every 2-3 years could be nice.
Or expand the lore, make more manufactureres and start to sell ships, SC model.

More incomes = better and constant content for the game, Dlc, features,etc.
Im not going to say that should be a subscritpion fee like World of warcraft to play, but maybe some kind of optional subscription like Elder Scrolls Online.
The Destiny model of adding paid dlcs every year is not good i think, but some paid DLC every 2-3 years could be nice.
Or expand the lore, make more manufactureres and start to sell ships, SC model.
Someone suggested a subscription for ARX but I'd rather just pay for what I need. I'd absolutely pay a subscription to have upkeep for my fleet carrier. Considering that I have multiple accounts each with their own fleet carriers it could potentially add up. If we ever got base building I would pay a subscription to keep my base maintained.

They could try an optional sub model. Sub grants you X number of Arx every month, perhaps some subscriber only cosmetics, reduced rebuy costs, or other things that don't really impact other non sub players that badly. I would pay a sub for ship interiors. I would have payed a sub for a PvE version of Open once upon a time.

Not now really, PvP is hardly even a concern at this point. Most of the attempts at PvP that get foisted on me are little more than annoyances. It's too easy to menu log, or just jump away for me. I would have to be caught completely unaware, by more than one PvPer with serious alpha damage builds to ever lose any of the ships I fly around in at this point. The encounter would be annoying at best, really annoying at worst. "Control B" lets me know if someone is in my instance, and I fly accordingly.

If there were a subscription model it must be optional, and not allow access to any gameplay element not available for pay-to-play users. The ships they're planning to sell are based on stuff we can all get in game with a bit of work, the Python Mk.II will come free to all who have the latest game (bought Odyssey).

For me a subscription would look something like getting a number of ARX per month, maybe with a small discount on store costs. Basically a way to continue using the already available financial support systems in a more consistent manner, with a minor out of game benefit.
I have a doubt that is going to be true. I just saw OA's video of the python mk 2 and it has a 5A FSD with SCO. I'm going to go ahead and call it now. The credits Python when you buy it will just get a normal 5E FSD.

So the SHIP will be for credits but the module won't be.

Hard no for a Subscription model to play the game. I would be fine with an optional Arx Pass or something that doubles or triples your Arx earning limit and gives you a couple of PJs and/or ship kits. But no to paying to play the game every month. That income strategy isn't viable these days but for a few exceptions, and I do not believe that Elite is one of them.

I would accept a sub like ESO have. You can play the game for free, but if you pay the sub you receive every month some premium currency and other perks. But they are not gamebraking perks, so you can totaly play for free.

Sooner or later a quasi subscription will come along on this new P2W road, anyway. Like with salami tactics, the grind will increase in small steps up to a level you can't cope with in normal game-play. In order to be able to play the content at all, you will have to shell out money for pay-to-skip all the time. At some point, Odyssey players might well remember the good old days of easy on-foot grinding. :ROFLMAO:

Seeing how the monetization train is accelerating hard (EA, ship sale, ARX value nerf, now even unicorn modules like 5A SCO ), I guess players not willing to pay money are already at a dead end, anyway. A bit like console folks.

Top Bottom