Time to introduce some MORE new fossil artworks!

Hey everyone!

Once upon a time, I made a request for more fossil artworks to be introduced to JWE back in August 2019.

It was a fun thread to make as I got to do some quick Photoshop sketches of hypothetical fossil artworks to be included to better reflect the biodiversity of the roster of 67 dinosaurs + Pteranodon. It was a fun distraction and one that got a lot of feedback here on the forums.

Since then JWE2 has grown its roster to a total of 110 extinct animals ranging from dinosaurs, synapsids, hybrids, pterosaurs, and marine reptiles. With them also came new fossils to better reflect the multiple species, often highlighting the more unique specimens like Dimetrodon, Therizinosaurus, and Ichthyosaurus. This makes it an overall improvement when it comes to variety in fossil artworks when compared to JWE1.

With that said, I do see the potential to include more fossil artworks, especially with how some amazing inclusions from recent PDLC that are unique from the roster in anatomy and behavior are often given fossil artworks that dilute their first impression. The fossil artworks could do with a few more additions and tweaks so as to better reflect the biodiversity of the current roster. Below are some images of such fossil inclusions I think could work great if included in JWE2.

Fossils V3.png

1. CARNIVORE / PISCIVORE DINOSAURS
All of the medium and large carnivores in the game are therapods, which makes sense as to why they share the same fossil artwork. Now that the M+L carnivores have reached a total of 17 diggable species (14 carnivores + 3 Spinosaurids) with a possibility of more additions in the future, I think it would be more fulfilling if the artworks were divided into 4 categories, being: Carnosauria, Spinosaurids, Tyrannosaurids, and Abelisaurids. Therapods were the primary carnivores during the Mesozoic era, and to assign the large predators the same fossil artwork would slightly dilute what defining features they have to distinguish themselves from one another. Carnotaurus, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Spinosaurus, and Giganotosaurus would have a much more notable first impression when digging up their fossils if the fossil artworks better reflect what kind of therapod they are.

2. PTEROSAURS
The fossils of the flying reptiles are divided into two artworks, one based on Pteranodon, and one based on Maaradactylus. This works for the roster at large as they reflect either toothy or toothless pterosaurs, but three pterosaurs could do with their own fossil artworks, which are the Quetzalcoatlus for the large and strange anatomy, Dimorphodon for her small size and large tail, and Jeholopterus with her bat-like appearance. These fossils are more to highlight specific species rather than families of pterosaurs, as these 3 species really stand out from the roster of flying reptiles in anatomy, size, and behavior. Furthermore, the new fossils would also be great for potential future additions such as Hatzegopteryx, Rhamphorhynchus, and Caelestiventus.

3. MARINE SPECIES
We recently had some great additions with The Marine Species Pack PDLC. The roster has grown to include a wider range of marine species that makes lagoons way more interesting, and as such, I think new fossil artworks should be included to better reflect the larger variety of marine species.

Fish... FISH!!!... We now have prehistoric fish in JWE2 with the Dunkelosteus. This late Devonian fish has gotten everyone excited, not only because one of the most recognizable marine creatures got included in the game, but that this may open the door to new additions such as Leedsycthus or Xiphactinus. As such, I think it would be more befitting if a fish fossil would be made instead of using the base game's Ichthyosaur fossil. This was a bit tricky at first because we did not want the fish fossil to look like a Dunkelusteus, as then it would look a bit off when used for later fish additions. So it looks like a merge between a Dunkelosteus and a Xiphactinus fossil. That way they look more imposing compared to the current fish fossil in the game, and most of the popular prehistoric fish follow a similar anatomy.

Archelon was just as tricky to figure out, as we do have a prehistoric turtle fossil in the game that is used for earning money, but I still think one should be made due to how much Archelon stands out from the roster. Using her large size and unique shell shape, I believe Archelon would have a pretty cool fossil to dig up that would reflect her species more than the default plesiosaur fossil.

The last addition would be a short-necked pliosaur fossil for marine creatures. We only have two in the game, Liopleurodon and Kronosaurus, the first uses a plesiosaur fossil while the latter uses the mosasaur fossil. I think it would be more befitting if the short-necked plesiosaurs had their own fossil, as their anatomy of having a large head connected to a well-built body is iconic enough to deserve their own fossil.

There are a few notes I want to share as well. The first is that it is weird that the Shonisaurus was given a plesiosaur fossil instead of the readily available ichthyosaur fossil. This is odd as Shonisaurus is the only other ichthyosaurus in the game, so it felt off not seeing her have the ichthyosaur fossil.

The second is the request to remove amber as a high-quality fossil for marine creatures. Jurassic Park and World would have me suspend my level of disbelief when it comes to amber. Mosquitos could live as far back as the Permian period to drink blood from Dimetrodon and there is a location on earth where amber-containing mosquitos of extinct animals from around the world and multiple eras could be found. It is still odd to see marine species would have their blood sucked by mosquitos, and I want to ask if it is possible if a new fossil could be made instead of using amber, similar to Therizinosaurus and Pyroraptor, where instead of amber they have a more golden rarer fossil.

4. NICHE ANIMALS
Only 3 animals remain I think would require new fossils from the current selection.

Lystrosaurus currently uses the Dimetrodon fossil, and while I see the connection with both of them being synapsids, I would rather see Lystrosaurus have a fossil that looks more like a Therapsid. This mainly is because the frill and carnivorous skull of the Dimetrodon are too unique to work with Lystrosaurus. I made a sample image above that has the Therapsid fossil with a top-down view which I think not only works for Lystrosaurus but could also work for any potential Therapsid that could be included in the game. This would also make the Dimetrodon stand out more when her fossils are dug up.

For the most part, small carnivores share the same fossil artwork as there is not that much that distinguishes them from one another, Pyroraptor and Dimetrodon being the exception. Oviraptor I believe could do with a fossil of her own, because she is not really a small carnivore, but an omnivore, the first one we have in the game. The Oviraptor is also the most distinct of the small carnivores due to its very bird-like appearance and odd skull shape. Giving her a unique fossil would make digging her up feel more special, and this could also be beneficial if other oviraptorids are to be included in the game.

Lastly, the Deinocheirus. This one actually has a fossil artwork that works for it, as it has the ornithomimid fossil which makes sense given she is a large (possibly the largest) Ornithomimosaur. Just like the oviraptor, I think it would be more befitting if she had a fossil artwork of her own for how unique she is from the other herbivores, as her size, anatomy, appeal, diet, and mysterious history in paleontology make her one of the most unique dinosaurs in the game, and would be more exciting if her fossils reflect that.

--------

It is nostalgic making this thread again for JWE2, and is one I hope to see be considered. While they are simply images, having more fossil artworks would be a great detail in JWE2, as dinosaurs are well known for their fossils, and the first impression most players would get is the tease they would get from acquiring these fossils in the game. There are some species in the game that deserve to stand out more in the dig site haul, so as to make the process of earning these animals more exciting in JWE2.

Last edited:
"Your fossils were sold by the employee to pay for gambling debts." Jokes aside this time a great idea that can also make for decorations to place around the place.
Yeeeeeeessssss!!!! I am all in for decorative fossils. I like having the spinosaurus, T-rex, and Amargasaurus, but more is always welcome!

Top Bottom