Tips for Combat

Your using fixed weaps for this PVE build? You cant miss with gimbled which is what you'd have on a PVE build... maybe a fixed railgun with cascade but the rest you'd have gimbled.

The point is to get better at combat, not just to grind it.

If I can crack the maneuvering, pip management, and reliably hit the target with this fixed PA build, then I'll be in a much better place in ships with more hardpoints to play with.

Consider that if my pvp build can put out enough dps to take down another pvp ship, you think a few Hazres npcs are going to fare better?

Just think in terms of total hit points and dps.

Whatever, this isn't a request for help with PvP.
Maybe we'll come back to that when I'm happier with my PvE skills.

The point is to get better at combat, not just to grind it.

If I can crack the maneuvering, pip management, and reliably hit the target with this fixed PA build

Dont forget flying with flight assist off. Flight assist off with fixed PAs is essential when mastering PVE combat...

I'm not giving you pvp help, I'm giving combat help.

That is exactly the false dichotomy I am referring to.
It's not helpful for you to think in those (false) terms.

Food for thought.

If you actually get around to offering some advice I'm all ears.
I've read your posts again and I didn't see any.

Dont forget flying with flight assist off. Flight assist off with fixed PAs is essential when mastering PVE combat...

I've already said that FA Off is a problem with my HOTAS.
I'll maybe start trying to throw some FA Off turns into the mix later, but I'll start with basic manuevering first.

Go to the training scenarios with the one on one battles with enemies of differing level. Set your speed to 50% and just fly straight. Let the npc hit you until you die. Keep an eye on your right panel and watch how your modules fail. How long it takes to die in a given ship. What module failure is like. Mess with the priority of your modules. Experience death for free.

Why? So you can build a calmness in battle.

If you actually get around to offering some advice I'm all ears.
I've read your posts again and I didn't see any.

I'm giving you lots to think about, and all of this is advice:

No matter what ship you choose, I'd suggest G5 dirty/drag drives + G5 charge enhanced PD, and the G5 shield of your choosing.

Don't believe the people who only do one aspect!

Sustained engagements in PVP are more difficult than in pve, same goes for single opponents.
You can build pvp ships for either.

Consider that if my pvp build can put out enough dps to take down another pvp ship, you think a few Hazres npcs are going to fare better?

Just think in terms of total hit points and dps.

I have a Thrustmaster T16000M now, but I used to have an X52 and had the same thing configured. I don't remember how to do it in their software anymore, but I know you can set a macro. You just need to start each macro with a "reset pips to 2-2-2" input so you have a common starting point.

Thanks Corlas, doesn't work for me though. Game doesn't register any input from macros I set up in the Saitek software.
Using Voice Attack now and it works without issues. Pretty straight forward. Not using voice input though. The day I talk to my pc has yet to come ;)

Don't run just fixed or just gimbaled or whatever - fit what suits your flight mode - a little FA off briefly - on/off for quick turns can work well, especially if you have a button on the HOTAS you can bind to it.
For any ship I recomend the following (just add remove numbers\sizes to suit hull) -
For Primary fire - Gimbaled beam with thermal vent on it as the special effect (can be done at lvl 1 engineering), means you can dump heatsinks, I always try to have 1 mc gimbaled or turret (depending on ship type\size) with corrosive on it also bound to primary fire so it's constantly buffing your dps. Secondary fire can be railguns, plasma or missiles - again pick what suits your flying style and size of ship.
Secondary effects are more important than the base engineering in most cases - so get them early - good for pve and pretty much essential if pvp ever comes up - Corrosive and Thermal vent are a must as far as I'm concerned , target breaker, emissive, dazzle, super penetrator etc are all quite usefull - anything that ups your dps or makes them miss you is good.
If fighting small Thargoids (recommended) - then a few turreted ax mc's mixed with one or two Guardian Gauss cannon can work well and will let you work on your aiming with fixed on the secondary.
Know how to cycle between targets, how to unselect target (to defeat chaff) and what key will cycle through modules on the target - once fight starts this needs to be second nature - same with pip management.
Concentrate on offense over defense in the fight - total time to kill needs to be as fast as possible - this is both fun, efficient and it trains muscle memory.
After the fight if possible have collector limpets to grab everything and repair/decontamination limpets as well if possible for repairs in the field.
Know when to run away, shouldn't need it too much in pve, but essential skill to learn - have escape route preplanned - decide what amount of damage means it's time to go ...and stick to it.

I know you say you aren't looking for pvp, but a few points anyway - especially if you ever play in open (which I always recommend - it's more stimulating regardless of any risk).

Most of the above can translate into pvp to some degree, but always assume that any pvp opponent you ever face will have a ship that's built only for that purpose (reason I don't do it much - makes for boring ships that can't multirole well - I personally would never waste a non dedicated slot on a re-inforcement module for example - good pvp practice, but irks me greatly).
Scan player ships on entering a likely "hot" system - CG, engineer etc - if need be sit still facing them till you determine what they are after - wake out and come in again if you don't fancy your chances.
Know how and when to run - it's quite hard to get killed in most cases if you really don't want to hang around - this means having hi-wake targets preselected - also - be prepared to jump more than once if someone is really after you.
If you do get "ganked" and want some payback - start with small annoying ships like Imp eagle, courier , dbx etc - don't aim to kill them - annoy them - scoot in, interdict - thumb nose and leave - this works great for annoying "griefers" but also teaches you good survival skills.

Hopefully that wall of text is of some use to someone - anyone else feel free to chip in ;)

edit - thermal vent not conduit as spotted by Bob

Last edited:
Don't run just fixed or just gimbaled or whatever - fit what suits your flight mode - a little FA off briefly - on/off for quick turns can work well, especially if you have a button on the HOTAS you can bind to it.
For any ship I recomend the following (just add remove numbers\sizes to suit hull) -
For Primary fire - Gimbaled beam with thermal conduit on it as the special effect (can be done at lvl 1 engineering), means you can dump heatsinks, I always try to have 1 mc gimbaled or turret (depending on ship type\size) with corrosive on it also bound to primary fire so it's constantly buffing your dps. Secondary fire can be railguns, plasma or missiles - again pick what suits your flying style and size of ship.
Secondary effects are more important than the base engineering in most cases - so get them early - good for pve and pretty much essentiual if pvp ever comes up - Corrsoive and Thermal conduit are a must as far as I'm concerned , target breaker, emissive, dazzle, super penetrator etc are all quite useull - anything that ups your dps or makes them miss you is good.
If fighting small Thargoids (recommended) - then a few turreted ax mc's mixed with one or two Guardian Gauss cannon can work well and will let you work on your aiming with fixed on the secondary.
Know how to cycle between targets, how to unselect target (to defeat chaff) and what key will cycle through modules on the target - once fight starts this needs to be second nature - same with pip management.
Concentrate on offense over defense in the fight - total time to kill needs to be as fast as possible - this is both fun, efficient and it trains muscle memory.
After the fight if possible have collector limpets to grab everything and repair decontamination limpets as well if possible for repairs in the field.
Know when to run away, shouldn't need it too much in pve, but essential skill to learn - have escape route preplanned - decide what amount of damage means it's time to go ...and stick to it.

I know you say you aren't looking for pvp, but a few points anyway - especially if you ever play in open (which I always recommend - it's more stimulating regardless of any risk).

Most of the above can translate into pvp to some degree, but always assume that any pvp opponent you ever face will have a ship that's built only for that purpose (reason I don't do it much - makes for boring ships that can't multirole well - I personally would never waste a non dedicated slot on a re-inforcement module for example - good pvp practice, but irks me greatly).
Scan player ships on entering a likely "hot" system - CG, engineer etc - if need be sit still facing them till you determine what they are after - wake out and come in again if you don't fancy your chances.
Know how and when to run - it's quite hard to get killed in most cases if you really don't want to hang around - this means having hi-wake targets preselected - also - be prepared to jump more than once if someone is really after you.
If you do get "ganked" and want some payback - start with small annoying ships like Imp eagle, courier , dbx etc - don't aim to kill them - annoy them - scoot in, interdict - thumb nose and leave - this works great for annoying "griefers" but also teaches you good survival skills.

Hopefully that wall of text is of some use to someone - anyone else feel free to chip in ;)

Thermal "vent" is what you're looking for, methinks.

Absolutley correct - well spotted :)

Good stuff btw.
I agree mostly, except for the "boring" ship build part.
I'm seeing a lot of variety and creativity right now.
Specific /= boring/lack of variety.

In duels you can always set the terms of engagement.
Lots of ways to play.

Good stuff btw.
I agree mostly, except for the "boring" ship build part.
I'm seeing a lot of variety and creativity right now.
Specific /= boring/lack of variety.

In duels you can always set the terms of engagement.
Lots of ways to play.

It's more about what your looking for in the game I think - I got bored of straight 1 on 1 or even team pvp back when Quake was new - I like having pvp'rs around as it makes the game more alive and interesting - I expect to survive pretty much any pvp encounter I run into and see the challenge as being able to dictate when and if I leave or stay - dueling someone doesn't really hold much attraction for me - but dodging "griefers" does.
note - and i'm using the term "giefer" here very grudgingly as I have zero problem with folk running around attacking folk - it's just better enemy AI than the NPC's as far as I'm concerend (well mostly :p).

It's more about what your looking for in the game I think - I got bored of straight 1 on 1 or even team pvp back when Quake was new - I like having pvp'rs around as it makes the game more alive and interesting - I expect to survive pretty much any pvp encounter I run into and see the challenge as being able to dictate when and if I leave or stay - dueling someone doesn't really hold much attraction for me - but dodging "griefers" does.
note - and i'm using the term "giefer" here very grudgingly as I have zero problem with folk running around attacking folk - it's just better enemy AI than the NPC's as far as I'm concerend (well mostly :p).

Sounds reasonable to me.
I'm just really impressed with how much variety I see, despite all the meta talk.

For Primary fire - Gimbaled beam with thermal vent on it as the special effect (can be done at lvl 1 engineering), means you can dump heatsinks, I always try to have 1 mc gimbaled or turret (depending on ship type\size) with corrosive on it also bound to primary fire so it's constantly buffing your dps. Secondary fire can be railguns, plasma or missiles - again pick what suits your flying style and size of ship.
Secondary effects are more important than the base engineering in most cases - so get them early - good for pve and pretty much essential if pvp ever comes up - Corrosive and Thermal vent are a must as far as I'm concerned , target breaker, emissive, dazzle, super penetrator etc are all quite usefull - anything that ups your dps or makes them miss you is good.
After the fight if possible have collector limpets to grab everything and repair/decontamination limpets as well if possible for repairs in the field.

edit - thermal vent not conduit as spotted by Bob

Thermal Vent has done well by me on my larger ships with Long Range Beam Turrets.

I think what I'll do is stick with the 2 PAs until my accuracy improves with them, and then start mixing up the loadout to try a few different things.

I'm giving you lots to think about, and all of this is advice:

Fair enough on the G5 recommendations, but the rest doesn't say much.
Hit points and pure DPS seems like a recipe for big ship face tanking.
That's likely all you really need for PvE, but I'm really looking to get a bit more advanced than that.

Thanks to all on the Vulture recommendations.
I know it's the obvious choice but I'd had a bad time with it before.

Just had another run out and some bigger beasts thrown into the mix this time.
Having to pick my shots is making me focus on my positioning a lot more, and this thing can stay out of trouble quite nicely so long as I remember to do it.

The bigger ships are obviously easier to hit, so they feel like natural targets for this fixed PA loadout.

Bonus: There's a Mats Trader at the station I'm using, so I'm starting to restock from picking up all the pieces.

Fair enough on the G5 recommendations, but the rest doesn't say much.
Hit points and pure DPS seems like a recipe for big ship face tanking.
That's likely all you really need for PvE, but I'm really looking to get a bit more advanced than that.

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear.
You need to frame things in those terms anyhow.
The variables of DPS and defensive hitpoints are objective, as are a few other measures crucial to combat; eg boost speed and frequency and so on.

The skill aspects etc will take time, but you can take the objective measures into consideration immediately.

It goes hand in hand with being evasive as well.
You can't have high time on target while being super evasive, so it basically requires the ability to deliver high dps.

Ok, I'm enjoying the dual PA loadout on the Vulture and I think my accuracy is improving, but I think I need to decrease the engagement time and stay in the field longer.

Any recommendations for a fixed laser loadout for this ship?

Lasers require higher time on target so even with overcharged beams you may see your time to kill go up.

Have you considered frags?

Top Bottom