today's update brought back old code (e.g. night vision, ...)

I'm no developer, I won't pretend to be, but I don't need to be to state a broad fact of life. Problems are normal, frequent problems are normal, recurring problems are a dysfunction.

I realized, that some little HUD adjustments I just recognized after the last update seem to be reverted. Most remarkable, switching on the night vision on ships renders the flight suit green again.

@frontier?
For me it appears normal, only outside of the ship is 'green', I wear a renegade coat
[Edit: I run in 'ultra' quality mode]

People with zero Cobra engine experience are critiquing FDev's work. That is nothing short of laughable.

Example: I was a master at programming in MS-BASIC, GW-BASIC, and TI-BASIC only a few decades ago. In my expert opinion, I think FDev are doing a fine job.

(Go ahead and laugh, the example is supposed to be funny)

I do have a feeling that this was variable at some point. If not due to an update, maybe it only affected Odyssey or non-Odyssey suits?

But either way, the debate between "a fix was there but it got reverted" and "there was never a fix in the first place" is good and important. I'd argue the former would be better.

People with zero Cobra engine experience are critiquing FDev's work. That is nothing short of laughable.

Example: I was a master at programming in MS-BASIC, GW-BASIC, and TI-BASIC only a few decades ago. In my expert opinion, I think FDev are doing a fine job.

(Go ahead and laugh, the example is supposed to be funny)

Balls on the table: I was a software engineer long enough, we made our errors, but we made our effort to learn a lot out of our errors: we introduced proper software version control, readable code according the Hungarian notation, forced code documentation on each library, class, function, variable and reason for modification, modularity as much as possible. Yeah, I'm no active programmer anymore, but I'm a IT guy spaghetti coders certainly hate. And after decades in the IT business I currently I use my experience to make sure releases are matching quality standards. So probably I know what I'm speaking about.

I appreciate what FDEV shake out of their sleeves with too many hours in the game. But I don't like the stagnation and the feeling, that I now "feel" reverted to a former version of Elite, In that case my documentation isn't proper enough to back up my statements.

Last edited:
ok, to be honest, I don't get it. I now have got back again the feature that cockpit night vision just contures the green lines outside of the cockpit. Finally I recognized that if I kill pirates, only on "black box" missions they will spawn escape pods when exploding.

Last edited:
Now I know the error: If you're in flight suit, you don't see your suit rendered in green night vision. But if you use Artemis, Dominator or Maverick - your body is rendered with the green night vision.

It doesn't take an AAA developer to notice that code reverts to previous states between updates and has to be re-applied. The first two points in patch 18.02 were to reapply fixes for issues that had previously been fixed and reverted to their broken condition in 18.00.
FDev need better version control and I say that as a non AAA developer.
I very much doubt it's a code reversion. It's more likely to be a new bug that's looks very similar to the old one.

I very much doubt it's a code reversion. It's more likely to be a new bug that's looks very similar to the old one.
Let's see. This specific bug (unable to apply experimental effect to pre-engineered FSD) has surfaced three times so far. By your explanation, a nest hides nearby and they need an exterminator, probably more than one.
My take on this is several groups of devs (or individuals) took copies of the code to fix or develop their own assigned features. In the mean time, the "main" code fixed bugs. When those branches with the new fixes/features were merged back with the main code, their "older" code undid the changes of the main branch, because their version management system needs replacement or they're not very familiar with its use.
If the same bug re-appears by different means like you say, then that spaghetti code is too frozen and stuck together...
I know we're both speculating at this point, but I prefer my speculation to yours, for the game's sake.

Happened to me once. I put a branch of website code modifications on to production (the "live" server), but forgot to merge them with the Main branch. So when the next release went in, it overwrote my changes. Was rather embarrassing, but was an oversight on my part due to rushing things out. Luckily it was on a personal project and not a work one!
I suspect something similar happened here.

Top Bottom