Newcomer / Intro Top 5 tips for a new player.

As the title says...

Im new, just downloading for xbox one as I type,

So if people can give their top 5 tips for a newbie that would be great.

As the title says...

Im new, just downloading for xbox one as I type,

So if people can give their top 5 tips for a newbie that would be great.

Avoid hollow triangles! These are hostile players trying to get on your six!

Don't fly without the insurance cost of your ship in the bank!

Move away from your starting system asap; it's a seal clubber magnet.

From a credits perspective, standing with local factions is important; work a few adjoining systems to gain rep and get better mission rewards.

Take a break from the grind; there is no "end game" per se, so no need to focus on credits. The Guardian ruins are cool to investigate right now.

Last edited:
1. Never fly without rebuy!

2. Enjoy your time in the Sidewinder - the only ship where you won't have to care about how often you are killed.
3. Do the tutorials, the trainings and the mentor missions.
3b. If you can't master the Advanced Combat scenario, don't worry. It's called "advanced" for a reason.
4. Time spent on familiarizing yourself with the controls layout is not wasted
5. not sure if that's even possible on the XBox, but unbind your "eject all cargo" button.

Fly safe!

If you can't do that, fly fast!

Either way, Have enough credits for a rebuy.

Welcome to Elite cmdr. o7

1. Unbind "Eject all cargo"

2. Bind a setting for "75% Throttle" (it will save you overshooting if you select this by the ttg=0.06)

3. Don't grind - just enjoy.

4. Make sure you keep a big enough balance to pay for a rebuy or two plus some for cargo.

5. There is no pause - the game keeps running until you "Exit to menu".

- "never fly without the rebuy" ... basically, make sure your Balance (shown at the bottom of the right hand Status panel) exceeds your Rebuy cost ... if it doesn't and you lose your ship you'll be back to square one in a Sidewinder

- there's no shame in running ... a big part of combat in Elite is knowing when to stay and fight and when to run ... if your shields start dropping rapidly within the first seconds of a fight, leg it!

- there is no grind but the grind you make for yourself ... basically, if you find yourself doing the same thing over and over (e.g. to earn money or rep or materials or whatever) and aren't enjoying it then for god's sake go and do something else instead

- don't rush to get to the end game ... a) it doesn't exist and b) you'll miss the best bit which is the journey along the way

- if/when you run out of fuel, don't despair, call the Fuel Rats (fuelrats.com and press the Get Help button)

No rebuy no fly.

Don’t shoot the station accidentally.

Enjoy yourself.

Don’t crash into Thargoids accidentally.

If you are stuck, ask on this forum, most people will be more than willing to help.

o7

Youtube has amazing information that can help you understand things that can be confusing

No fly without rebuy

You don't need a big Conda or Cutter to be the big dawg in space

So much to do in this game so try everything at least once

And make as much credits as you can.

Happy Flying CMDR o7

Has anyone mentioned don't fly without enough for rebuy yet ? :D

You can fit cargo modules which hold more cargo than the default you are given ... check outfitting.

Get away from the starter system as soon as you can.

Learn to use the engineers to improve your ship, but do it in your own time, otherwise it becomes a grind.

Do what seems enjoyable to you.

Oh and ignore what you get told in forums - bad people lurk there :p ​Actually, there's a lot of very helpful commanders :)

Oh and ignore what you get told in forums - bad people lurk there :p ​Actually, there's a lot of very helpful commanders :)

That is what draws me so much to this community and game. There are a lot of helpful CMDRs that will take the time out of their game play to teach you and coach you and fly with you.

Many thanks for the responses CMDRs..

It sure is a lot to take in, i can see me getting many hours days weeks months years out there in the depths of the galaxy lol.

Ill be honest im feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment with it, so will be sure to ask if i need anything, so no doubts in a couple of hours 😛

Again, many thanks for the tips..

Many thanks for the responses CMDRs..

It sure is a lot to take in, i can see me getting many hours days weeks months years out there in the depths of the galaxy lol.

Ill be honest im feeling a little overwhelmed at the moment with it, so will be sure to ask if i need anything, so no doubts in a couple of hours ��

Again, many thanks for the tips..

u/LIgerzero459 from reddit did the math. "If you had 100,000 pilots making 30 second jumps it would take 23 years to explore the entire galaxy." If a single player did it, "381 years if you had a perfect path planed out from the start. And that's also if you didn't nothing but play for 24 hours straight for every single day of those 381 years."

The second quote may not be correct but still is mind blowing

Ya'll forgot the most important one, unless I missed it. Start in solo mode "nothing against open here" until you at least know what the controls do. I've been playing since week one and still learning.

u/LIgerzero459 from reddit did the math. "If you had 100,000 pilots making 30 second jumps it would take 23 years to explore the entire galaxy." If a single player did it, "381 years if you had a perfect path planed out from the start. And that's also if you didn't nothing but play for 24 hours straight for every single day of those 381 years."

The second quote may not be correct but still is mind blowing

Mind blowing would be an understatement to put it lightly, thats insane haha, well i guess its the closest any of us will get to space exploration, and a lot safer to 👽

If you decide to try your hand at bounty hunting make sure when you target that you actually target and ONLY fire on the wanted ship otherwise you'll find yourself in trouble .....happened to me twice now, once in a python which git destroyed (tbh I shouldn't be in one yet) and last night's escapades where I managed to do it again in a vulture which I managed to high tale it out but now the ship has a bounty on it so I cannot return "home" :) Can sell it I suppose but I like it and the drivers seat smells a bit now.

You got the advice about rebuy actually you should have several times that ideally.

When you sell your ship you loose 10% of the value of the hull and modules but modules sold separately don't loose you any money so sell all modules first (or store them) the ones you can't remove entirely replace them with E rated as they are cheapest that way you will loose the least money on the deal.

When buying a new ship plan to have at least 3 times the price available to allow for some fitting out, and watch out for the new rebuy price.

Don't get fixated on missions as the only thing to do in the game they often come with their own built in hazards and in my opinion require a certain level of competence at the activity.

Never carry cargo when unnecessary it is a pirate magnet.

To follow up to someone else's advice.

Don't deliberately shoot stations or ram thargoids.

Top Bottom