Horizons Tracking the Tick

Those of us who work the BGS need to know when the influence numbers and states change. It seems to break regularly, and bug reports often need approximate dates and times. It's also useful to know when the next tick is expected to happen. Hopefully this thread will be a community project to track those times each day.

I'll endeavour to update this OP each day. Help out by posting when you've spotted it change. At AEDC we're usually pretty accurate spotting when the numbers change, but your help would be appreciated (especially with states).

Update (2016 Mar 26):
The tick now appears to have drifted to between 11:15 and 11:30 GMT. It's still pretty consistent though :)

Update (2016 Mar 05):
FD appear to have the tick stabilised at approximately 11:00 GMT. If it slips away from that time in the future I'll return to updating this OP. Otherwise I'll assume it's 11:00 GMT until it changes ;)
Thanks for all the help - let's keep our fingers crossed.

DateDayInfluence TimeState TimeNotes
2016 Mar 05Sat 11:00
2016 Mar 04Fri 11:00
2016 Mar 03Thu 11:00
2016 Mar 02Wed 11:00
2016 Mar 01Tue 11:00
2016 Feb 29Mon 11:00
2016 Feb 28Sun 11:00
2016 Feb 27Sat 11:00
2016 Feb 26Fri 11:00
2016 Feb 25Thu 11:00
2016 Feb 24Wed 11:00
2016 Feb 23Tue 11:00
2016 Feb 22Mon 11:00 - 11:30
2016 Feb 21Sun **NO TICK** 11:00 - 11:30No influence update, state change only
2016 Feb 20Sat 10:57
2016 Feb 19Fri 11:30
2016 Feb 18Thu 10:50 - 11:00
2016 Feb 17Wed **NO TICK** 15:30 - 16:00No influence update, state change only
2016 Feb 16Tue 18:30 before 15:402.0.06 released at 10:00, no/reduced influence changes, others have only small changes
2016 Feb 15Mon 19:30 - 20:00 before 16:30
2016 Feb 14Sun 21:30
2016 Feb 13Sat 11:08 - 12:30
2016 Feb 12Fri 10:00 - 11:00
*All times in GMT (Game Time) and Leesti used as our check system (plus others).
**Time of state changes only entered when known, otherwise assumed to have updated.

Last edited:
11:30 game time - new influence and new states

ah I must have just missed influence update checked at 11:00 no update but states had already updated
I have reports from my group that states updated at least 4 hours before the influence update(we've been waiting for a war to start :D)

Last edited:
I'll put today's down as between 11:30 and 12:30 then. Different parts of the galaxy probably update at different times. Good effort for day 1 though :)

Deleted member 38366

D
The one today (13th Feb) I saw @ 11:08 GMT in the System Maps.

(notably, the #3 Panel Influence Data hadn't synchronized until approx. 11:15 GMT)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP...without wishing to be rude your post makes absolutely no sense to me. What does BGS mean? Care to elaborate what this thread is about in English :)

Ta

OP...without wishing to be rude your post makes absolutely no sense to me. What does BGS mean? Care to elaborate what this thread is about in English :)

Ta

BGS = Background Simulation.
The "tick" is when time when influence and state changes update roughly every 24 hours at the same time each day. The activity for that period is aggregated and applied as a change in influence for minor factions.

The update cycle (i.e. approx every 24 hours) worked correctly and consistently before 1.4, except for patch days. Since 1.4 in October last year the update cycle has been notoriously unstable and inconsistent on a weekly and often bi-weekly basis. There are dozens of player groups who are trying to support their minor factions but it's becoming impossible due to influence movements not occuring and player actions for the cycle being erased as a result.

Some of us plan activities based on these influence and state changes, e.g. fighting in a war, trading at a specific station, bounty hunting in a target system, supporting different factions through missions, or locations to sell exploration data for explorers returing home after a long journey. The locations and types of activities will change depending on the current influence levels and states in the system. Short, medium and long term plans are made for minor factions which constantly evolve and change as a result of our activities.

This all relies on regular and consistent influence changes which don't happen! Sorry for the longish post, I got carried away a bit :) The BGS is one of the main reasons I've played elite since it launched in December 2014.

BGS = Background Simulation.
The "tick" is when time when influence and state changes update roughly every 24 hours at the same time each day. The activity for that period is aggregated and applied as a change in influence for minor factions.

The update cycle (i.e. approx every 24 hours) worked correctly and consistently before 1.4, except for patch days. Since 1.4 in October last year the update cycle has been notoriously unstable and inconsistent on a weekly and often bi-weekly basis. There are dozens of player groups who are trying to support their minor factions but it's becoming impossible due to influence movements not occuring and player actions for the cycle being erased as a result.

Some of us plan activities based on these influence and state changes, e.g. fighting in a war, trading at a specific station, bounty hunting in a target system, supporting different factions through missions, or locations to sell exploration data for explorers returing home after a long journey. The locations and types of activities will change depending on the current influence levels and states in the system. Short, medium and long term plans are made for minor factions which constantly evolve and change as a result of our activities.

This all relies on regular and consistent influence changes which don't happen! Sorry for the longish post, I got carried away a bit :) The BGS is one of the main reasons I've played elite since it launched in December 2014.

Cool, thanks for the info chap...makes sense now. :)

Just saw influence values update, approximately 21:30 Game Time, UTC 14/2

Edit: states as well, though they could have been sooner.

Last edited:
Can confirm the state changes. Any theories why it's been that late again?
I don't have a solid theory of why, but I know it's happened ever since BGS was a thing, in the live game anyway. I started doing BGS stuff in Feb last year and it's always periodically had the "phase shift" happen every week or so. Only since PP dropped do we have the thursday "drop everything" day. Which reminds me, I need to start gathering evidence to prove to FD that influence is getting dropped on the PP cycle day.

My prediction is for the next few days, up to the PP cycle change, it'll be around 21:30 gmt

Last edited:
Top Bottom