Release Trade Dangerous (Est. 2015) Power user's highly configurable trade optimizer

@haffoc
Are you willing to take on the maintainer slot for TDH? Or at least provide ready compiled executables of your bugfixed code? I realise that visual studio is a free download, but it's a lot of effort for a lay user.

@haffoc
Are you willing to take on the maintainer slot for TDH? Or at least provide ready compiled executables of your bugfixed code? I realise that visual studio is a free download, but it's a lot of effort for a lay user.

Did you mean to ask me this?! @haffoc was talking about jumps and hops.

Visual Studio isn't a problem - I've had an MSDN subscription through work for the past 20 years and have been writing and maintaining code for more than twice that long!

I'm happy to provide compiled executables of the bug-fixed code and I'll post them on the GitHub repository when I get time. There are a couple of additional bugs I'd like to get fixed - one of which was logged as an issue on @MarkAusten's repository relating to population of the systems list, but they can probably wait for a later release.

The TDH maintainer slot? I've been looking at what @MarkAusten had set up to support his work and working out everything that I'd need to provide to match it for the full experience (notification of updates in the main, and a web site to announce them). Nothing beyond the realms of possibility though and in the meantime, if posting releases on GitHub and announcing them is enough, I'm happy to.

Did you mean to ask me this?! @haffoc was talking about jumps and hops.
Yes sorry. My brain is often addled.
Visual Studio isn't a problem - I've had an MSDN subscription through work for the past 20 years and have been writing and maintaining code for more than twice that long!

I meant for average users to download your source.

I'm happy to provide compiled executables of the bug-fixed code and I'll post them on the GitHub repository when I get time. There are a couple of additional bugs I'd like to get fixed - one of which was logged as an issue on @MarkAusten's repository relating to population of the systems list, but they can probably wait for a later release.

That's really all I am asking for. Someone to fix bugs if reported, develop features (without obligation) if they feel inspired and package up a release (including any supporting files) on github when appropriate, maybe posting here to announce.

The TDH maintainer slot? I've been looking at what @MarkAusten had set up to support his work and working out everything that I'd need to provide to match it for the full experience (notification of updates in the main, and a web site to announce them). Nothing beyond the realms of possibility though and in the meantime, if posting releases on GitHub and announcing them is enough, I'm happy to.

No, you don't necessarily need to do all that unless you really want to. Fix bugs and release bugfixed versions. Anything more appreciated but at your discretion. In short be the go to guy if it breaks or something upstream breaks it.

I meant for average users to download your source.
Ah - that makes more sense. Misunderstood - sorry!

That's really all I am asking for. Someone to fix bugs if reported, develop features (without obligation) if they feel inspired and package up a release (including any supporting files) on github when appropriate, maybe posting here to announce.
Sorted then. I'll package up my current version (with a statement of known issues and workarounds) when I'm able, and announce when it's done. Looks like it makes sense for that to be in this thread as TDH is useless without tradedangerous. I'll also try to update on the basis that you mention above - and release updates accordingly.

Last edited:
I've updated the header page for the thread. I don't believe there's anything in the main TD documentation, but if anyone knows better, let me know.

Having just discovered Trade Dangerous I thought I would give it a try... However, I have also run into the SSL certificate verify problem that plagued Scotty and would like to know how to solve the problem...
I have installed/deinstalled&cleaned various versions of Python (3.8, 3.9 3.10) but they all give the same error.
When I copy the various files directly from "...//elite.tromador,com/files" and place them where they belong then TD (and TDH) seems to work correctly and only throws an error when I try to udate the DB...

Well, I've managed to solve my SSL certificate problem simply by cleaning all python-related files from my system and then installing Python v3.6.8 !! (old & end-of-life version)
The SSL problem always occured (on my system) with any version of Python newer than 3.6... It's beyond my capabilities to figure out why though!!!!
The only problem I'm having now is when doing a 'all' import I get a "HTTP ERROR 404: Not found" when trying to download 'index.json' from "https://beta.coriolis.io/data/index.json"
after which the Default Ship Index is used...
Anyway.... now to try and figure out how to use Trade Dangerous..:oops:

Well, I've managed to solve my SSL certificate problem simply by cleaning all python-related files from my system and then installing Python v3.6.8 !! (old & end-of-life version)
The SSL problem always occured (on my system) with any version of Python newer than 3.6... It's beyond my capabilities to figure out why though!!!!
The only problem I'm having now is when doing a 'all' import I get a "HTTP ERROR 404: Not found" when trying to download 'index.json' from "https://beta.coriolis.io/data/index.json"
after which the Default Ship Index is used...
Anyway.... now to try and figure out how to use Trade Dangerous..:oops:
Hi Simbro. Well done on figuring out the SSL certificate problem. I don't think even our guru Tromador has figured it out yet either! The other thing about the index.json file is not a concern. The ships in Elite don't change very often so the default ship index is fine. There are a few users on here who will be able to help if you need it.

Unfortunately the SSL problem is caused by something in Python and not in my website. We have fully tested that browsers can access the site and checked that the SSL certificate is valid.
The weirdness is that I cannot replicate the problem on my PC, it. all works fine for me, so it can't be an issue with Python's own root certificate store or I would have the same problem. I have also checked to make sure that there is no difference between the certificate store installed on my PC and on Scottie's PC and they are indeed identical.
I am guessing, given that the exact same error comes up when TD attempts to connect to fallback that Python for some reason cannot read its own certificate store. And now we progress into something wierd in the windows permissions, even though the file looks fine to me, with the folder tree also having permissions which seem sane.
Scottie did have some kind of per application system permissions set which I had never seen before, maybe that is the ultimate cause. He didn't install windows and I am wondering if the shop did something unusual which then has a knock on effect to how Python works.
In short, it's something I can't fix, because everything looks fine, so it's very deeply lost in the Python install or I think more likely the interaction between Python and Windows.

Hi Tromador, when updating the database from your server I am not getting any files except listings-live.csv
Checking your Trading Dangerously site the other files haven't updated since the 13th - something amiss with the EDDB nightly download, maybe?

Hi Tromador - your server needs another kick, please.
Command line: import -P eddblink -O listings
NOTE: Checking for update to 'systems_populated.jsonl'.
WARNING: Problem with download:
URL: https://elite.tromador.com/files/systems_populated.jsonl
Error: <urlopen error [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: certificate has expired (_ssl.c:997)>
NOTE: Checking for update to 'stations.jsonl'.
NOTE: Checking for update to 'commodities.json'.
NOTE: Checking for update to 'listings.csv'.
NOTE: Import completed.

Top Bottom