Release Trade Dangerous (Est. 2015) Power user's highly configurable trade optimizer

I am having problems with this release - details raised on github.

I still think that prune score & prune hops should be at the bottom with Age at the top, I've never used prune anything, but frequently used the rest. I guess it's where you think the important fields are more prominent - to my mind that's the top, but that may be biased by wanting to be logical, rather than ergonomic.

I am having problems with this release - details raised on github.

I still think that prune score & prune hops should be at the bottom with Age at the top, I've never used prune anything, but frequently used the rest. I guess it's where you think the important fields are more prominent - to my mind that's the top, but that may be biased by wanting to be logical, rather than ergonomic.

That's a very good point, I only use the pruning when testing THD! I'll rearrange this for the next release.

@eyeonus - I'm looking at the layout of TDH2 (again), just how narrow would you like the form to be in an ideal world?

Meh. I'm actually okay with it as is, now. It's still a bit wider than the original TDH, but only by 40 pixels. No biggy.

Ideally, the minimum width would be the width of the widest element (plus any padding) and all the fields, buttons, etc., would reflow to fit the confined space, but that's a little extreme.

Less radical, but still a bit more ideal, would be to have the minimum width be the same as the default width of the 'T' window.

Version v2.0.5.8-Beta is available from https://github.com/MarkAusten/TDHelper/releases/tag/v2.0.5.8-Beta.

This does not fix issue #30 as I cannot reproduce the error despite many attempts.

You mislabelled the zip as 2.0.5.7 on this release - or you copied the wrong zip into this release. The .exe report version 2.0.5.7 so I suspect you have re-released 2.0.5.7 as 2.0.5.8 in error or you didn't update the version number somewhere in the code/visual studio.

As it was just a fix for #29 (which doesn't bother me as much as it does eyeonus) I can happily report that

a: It starts without throwing an error \o/
and therefore
b: I can give it a proper test.

In the context of the DB update dialogue, what does "analyze" do?

It analyses the data in the database and saves a whole heap of statistics with the intent of making the query plan generation much faster. Or so I understand from the SQLite documentation. It certainly seems to help when the queries start getting very slow but it is a last resort as it take a long time to execute.

The occasional vacuum would also not go amis as the TD database can get quite fragmented.

I'm sorely tempted to remove the analyse option and add something to the documentation to explain how to run these two commands from the command line.

It analyses the data in the database and saves a whole heap of statistics with the intent of making the query plan generation much faster. Or so I understand from the SQLite documentation. It certainly seems to help when the queries start getting very slow but it is a last resort as it take a long time to execute.

The occasional vacuum would also not go amis as the TD database can get quite fragmented.

I'm sorely tempted to remove the analyse option and add something to the documentation to explain how to run these two commands from the command line.

Maybe. I have a regular vacuum running on the server end and rarely takes more than a couple of minutes, however I did run a manual vacuum on my pc local db and got bored and left it running overnight. That said, after having run the vacuum once on my PC the next time it was double quick, so YMMV.

I don't think removing it from TDH is the correct approach. The whole point of TDH is to remove the burden of dealing with command line, for those not keyboard monkeys like me. Perhaps some more detail on the dialogue about what exactly it's going to do and some kind of warning about potential long time running.

Additionally, I don't know how you are connecting to the DB for admin tasks, but I'm presuming NOT via tradedb.py - this is good, as I wouldn't want to initiate a long running procedure with the PRAGMA options in there.

Maybe. I have a regular vacuum running on the server end and rarely takes more than a couple of minutes, however I did run a manual vacuum on my pc local db and got bored and left it running overnight. That said, after having run the vacuum once on my PC the next time it was double quick, so YMMV.

I don't think removing it from TDH is the correct approach. The whole point of TDH is to remove the burden of dealing with command line, for those not keyboard monkeys like me. Perhaps some more detail on the dialogue about what exactly it's going to do and some kind of warning about potential long time running.

Additionally, I don't know how you are connecting to the DB for admin tasks, but I'm presuming NOT via tradedb.py - this is good, as I wouldn't want to initiate a long running procedure with the PRAGMA options in there.

Fair point.

You do get a warning when you click the 'Analyse' button and that gives you the option to cancel the request. Perhaps it would be better to have another main form button called 'Maintenance' which would then call up a form upon which Analyse and Vacuum would be the options along with some explanatory text. I think this is a better option since these functions are not part of the EDDBlink functionality.

The connection to the database is via the SQLite .NET classes and not via any python code.

Top Bottom