Trading and Influence

I have a question here....... I read a lot of Trading and Influence. but there was a lot opinions there ...

All what i want to know is , what i need Trade (High demand, low demand, logicaly high demand = more influence) and how much i have to trade (some guides says that you have just trade 250 tons max and 4 commidities )

i tried Hauling Basic Medecines and back minerals but Influence doesnt change (17 million pop , Trading value was nearly 4k of goods )

all i want to know are numbers , no bsg guides , or somthing else .. i want just to know the caps. Thats my Playstyle Trading and gain influence for Playerfactions ...

If missions are much effective .. i need to know. But in wiki and other sites tell me Trading can be a big boost at influence

so if anyone knows what i want to hear .. let me know .. if i overread something then sorry

Caps are relative, sadly.

They suffer an effect of diminishing returns as you work - but there really isn't much reason to stop at a particular level as it insulates the gains from opposing factions or negative effects.
Sadly, I don't have much in the way of maths on it to explain better. What I do grasp is that trading itself is one of the weakest influence effects on its own.

The core if it is to remember the BGS operates as transaction base, but with trade its tied to the commodity per trip.
There is a bonus by profit, but its relative. Its better to grab 3-4 items than one massive profit run if you want to effect influence.

As for demands, all that matters if the items brings a profit.

Using a third-party site like EDDB to get a trade route, just make sure you haul a bit of each profitable item for maximum effect.
Then just repeat. Like missions, doing several trips hopefully over a period of time for results.

first of all THX of fast reply .....

i will try it tomorrow and we will see , but pls dont stop of giving ideas or opinions i want to try to understand what matters what is effective

Thx for any reply that will come

Alot of it boils down to traffic.

How many people are in the region will influence how much work is needed to hit that relative cap.

If you are lucky and its low traffic (20 or less ships) alone you could hit the cap in an hour's work.
If it is busy (100 or more) you are looking at potentially needing to spend the evening there to match the effort.

While trade can be helpful, in the end it is missions that will have the best effect on influence for the faction.
The best way I have found is to mix outgoing missions for the faction i want to support with other exterior kill missions like Pirate Lords or skimmers against other factions in the system to help swing it all.

If you get lucky with the region you can have a back-and-forth where you are easily able to help your faction and harm others to gain ground.

Last edited:
i do wing missions by my own np with a 744 cargo type 9 .

I want just to know what makes more sense , trading or missions.

It's really a little bit of everything, to have the most impact on influence. My gut feel is to try and do one or two passenger missions (+++ or higher Inf), a handful of general missions (again +++ or higher, if available), throw some cargo in the hold too, drop by a USS or Nav Beacon when inbound to the system/station and shoot a couple of wanteds and then cash the bounties, and leave a bit of exploration data if you have it.

Sort of four or five elements/runs. That's likely more effective (law of diminishing returns against bucket caps) that doing just four or five straight commodity trade runs. Plus, I like variety, too. That said, years ago, before I could shoot straight and found exploring dull, I just did trading in a T6. Accidentally I started a few Wars/Civil Wars/Expansions without even knowing I did it (before I understood BGS better), through just trading a lot in quiet systems, so yes, it is possible.

Legal salvage shows as selling for a loss when selling to markets that produce or dont require commodity
My understanding is that trading for profit is what counts as trading bgs wise, wondering if salvage showing as selling for a loss still counts towards trading in 3.0 or not?

i tried to raise my influnece in a system with lesser then 20 ships (think most of them was "Guildies") Wingmissions , normal missions, and a bit trading.

influence decrased by -0,3% :D

sooo :D

17 mill population in system

are there no numbers out there ???

Loss-making trades have a negative effect on influence.

Salvage that you pick up at no cost and is pure profit is a positive effect on influence - so long as it sells as a profit to you.

Its the bottom like that counts regardless of its relation to the galactic average.

i tried Hauling Basic Medecines and back minerals but Influence doesnt change (17 million pop , Trading value was nearly 4k of goods )

If influence isn't increasing, your faction might be at war somewhere.

A faction can't gain influence from trading if it is at War or Civil War in ANY system.

Check the faction information from Station Services, this should tell you if your faction is at war.

I'm not sure whether OP is about trade or gaining bgs influence.
Since it's posted in the bgs forum I'll consider it's the latter.

Just forget common trading and give trade missions a chance. They used to pay alot more and even if you retain the money reward in the current system they will both bring you more income and more influence.
But from what you do report, as other players did answer, you probably have to check the states of your faction and that of the neighbours.

Cheers.

Top Bottom