Trifid of the North (exploration)

I am currently on an exploration trip, trying to reach the fringes of the galaxy.

So, i'm plotting my way through the gap towards the outer spiral arm.

About halfway across, i notice a small nebular below my route, and a sector called "Trifid of the North"

n4dEb6M.png
x4NdFK3.png
5VhgdWK.png

It's a rather densly populated strip of systems, almost looking like "gaffer taped" into the emptiness between the spiral arms.

FH6EYKS.png

Atop of it sits a small nebular, containing only one system (HR-W D1-8), and it appears to function like a sort of access hub to the stars in the trifid of the north constellation.

akojO8b.png
aiPviEI.png
b51pzfL.png

Trifid of the North HR-W D1-8 cockpit view:
Kz81otU.png

and system map:
tPe2UVy.png
3JaCIvB.png

Just wanted to share this with anyone interested.

If this is the wrong forum section for this sort of thing, some Mod please move it to the correct one.....thx :)

Last edited:
Great stuff man. You are probably the first person to set foot in these sectors, and that is pretty cool. These are my favorite threads. +1 for you!

Nice stuff. We so desperatly need an exploration sub. Think of all the cool pics and journey logs there will be in a few months time

Nice stuff. We so desperatly need an exploration sub. Think of all the cool pics and journey logs there will be in a few months time

Thanks.

I agree, would be nice to have a sub forum for exploration....have it all in one place.

It'd be fun to check out what other people found, without resorting to forum search or just falling over the odd exploration report here and there.

Awesome. Repped.

The original Trifid is M20 in the Sagittarius region right in the core, an astronomers favourite.

If you get your skates on you could lay claim to having visited the northern and southern Trifids first.

Awesome. Repped.

The original Trifid is M20 in the Sagittarius region right in the core, an astronomers favourite.

If you get your skates on you could lay claim to having visited the northern and southern Trifids first.

Tyvm for the info.

See, i didn't know about the original Trifid as you called it. I'm not all that much of an astronomer, just poking around and see what i can find. ;)

Now that i know of it, i may indeed make this a destination for another expedition.

That is impressive. Those system names are a mouthful though.

On the topic of systems and such being named after real stars, I've found about 40 or so # G. Canis Majoris systems so far.

That's nice. I'll have to go there at some point and check it out myself. I'm in no rush though because it seems like no matter where I go in the galaxy someone has already mapped it before I have, so I've pretty much given up on the thought of getting that first find bonus and that rumored option to name a system.

Thanks for the idea of places to go next time I leave the bubble, since I like exploring when I have an actual destination.

That's nice. I'll have to go there at some point and check it out myself. I'm in no rush though because it seems like no matter where I go in the galaxy someone has already mapped it before I have, so I've pretty much given up on the thought of getting that first find bonus and that rumored option to name a system.

I'm guessing you're talking about the part of the galaxy that is inhabited (the "bubble")? There are still billions of unclaimed planets out there. I've just returned from a short exploration trip (only went 7500Ly out) and was still finding unclaimed planets on my way back until I was about 200Lys outside the bubble. Also, if you do simply want to claim a few planets, then be sure to check the system map as in many cases you'll find that only the main star has been claimed (those flyby explorers... Pah...)

You don't get to name systems, though. Only to stamp your commander name on them. :)

I'm guessing you're talking about the part of the galaxy that is inhabited (the "bubble")? There are still billions of unclaimed planets out there. I've just returned from a short exploration trip (only went 7500Ly out) and was still finding unclaimed planets on my way back until I was about 200Lys outside the bubble. Also, if you do simply want to claim a few planets, then be sure to check the system map as in many cases you'll find that only the main star has been claimed (those flyby explorers... Pah...)

You don't get to name systems, though. Only to stamp your commander name on them. :)

Last exploration trip I took, which was quite recently since I actually had a ship properly fit to explore, I went several thousand light years out and every system I stopped to explore was already fully mapped by some one else. I'll give exploration another go when I buy another Exploration vessel. Also, I will admit that you come across some peculiar things while exploring, like a black hole at Mintaka when instead it was supposed to be a double star. Unless one such star exploded within 1286 years.

Last edited:
If you're hitting that many already explored planets, it might be that you've inadvertently chosen a common route (e.g. you're heading to a nebula, which are common destinations for explorers). If this is the case, an easy trick that normally gets you off the route is to go up or down a hundred or so LYs. You'll soon hit some empty belts.

It must be said, that I did notice that I'm hitting far more explored systems now... But they are still very much in a minority except around POIs (nebulae - pretty much all these have had traffic now, I believe).

If you're hitting that many already explored planets, it might be that you've inadvertently chosen a common route (e.g. you're heading to a nebula, which are common destinations for explorers). If this is the case, an easy trick that normally gets you off the route is to go up or down a hundred or so LYs. You'll soon hit some empty belts.

It must be said, that I did notice that I'm hitting far more explored systems now... But they are still very much in a minority except around POIs (nebulae - pretty much all these have had traffic now, I believe).

Ah, interesting. I'll keep that in mind next time I head out. I'm thinking of buying another Space Toyota (Adder) and fitting that for Exploration since it can get a pretty nice jump range. And I'll likely make my way towards Trifid of the North. Don't care if it's been explored, it looks cool and I'd like to see it for myself.

Top Bottom