Triple Elite in a Sidewinder

Like many people, I bought another account during the Christmas sales. I've just started him today.

The aim is to get to Triple Elite in nothing but a Sidewinder. I know it can be done, and I know it's a challenge, but I'm going to give it a go.

A few self-imposed "rules":

1) I reserve the right to have a fleet of Sidewinders for convenience sake only, but will never fly anything else.
2) Don't enjoy PVP, so will be playing in 'Mobius PVE Eurasia' group exclusively.

Elite Dangerous Screenshot 2019.01.14 - 17.37.34.65.jpgElite Dangerous Screenshot 2019.01.14 - 17.39.07.78.jpg

If you see me, say 'hi' and wish me luck. I'd appreciate it. :)

Anyone else doing / done the same? Any tips?

Last edited:
I do hope you will engineer that sidewinder, going to be hard getting that trade elite for sure. Good luck.

Cheers. I think it will be difficult to achieve without engineering some things. Jump range isn't too bad at 23ly, but weapons etc will need tweaking.

Trade Elite isn't actually that difficult. I just won't haul cargo. :)

Good luck ;)

I think the benefit of that extra slot freed up by the FSS should help you a lot, my explorawinder now has an SRV bay and class 1 bi-weave shields. It boosts to about 670m/s and jumps over 30ly.

Using multiple ships seems like a good idea, I've always had difficulty equipping sidewinders for multi-role.

Good Luck!
I still have a sidey of my own tucked away in case of insanity. Partly engineered, but not massively so... Fun to fly but I'd not want to try what you are.

Cheers. I think it will be difficult to achieve without engineering some things. Jump range isn't too bad at 23ly, but weapons etc will need tweaking.

Trade Elite isn't actually that difficult. I just won't haul cargo. :)

Good luck with this challenge, but how do you get trade elite without hauling cargo?

Good luck with this challenge, but how do you get trade elite without hauling cargo?

Any transaction counts towards your Trade rank it seems... and the only stat the game is interested in is money earned.

So, data delivery missions count towards your Trade rank for example.

It's still a slog, because you need around 1 billion to get to Elite, but do-able. :)

The hard one for me will be Combat, because whilst I'm OK in a Python or larger, taking out larger vessels with a Sidewinder when you are mass-locked by every other ship in the game... that'll be interesting. ;)

Last edited:
Not sure data deliveries do count to trade rank, they are effected by your explorer rank, unless something changed that I don't know about. Usually missions that effect trade will show what trade rank the missions is, so trading or hauling cargo missions will effect it. I also believe mining also effects it, any thing you can sell to a market etc.

Last edited:
Not sure data deliveries do count to trade rank, they are effected by your explorer rank, unless something changed that I don't know about. Usually missions that effect trade will show what trade rank the missions is, so trading or hauling cargo missions will effect it. I also believe mining also effects it, any thing you can sell to a market etc.

I'm almost certain it does.

Reason being, the last time I started again with another account, my mission was to be a billionaire at any cost. None of my other characters were, so this one should be.

To that end, I did lots of Smeaton/Hutton runs for about 50 million per trip at its peak. When I finished, I was suddenly 'Elite' Trader. I wasn't that happy about it really, because I felt cheated that a future goal had been taken away by trying to reach another. But there we are. :rolleyes:

Unless it's changed in the last year, I'm sure it still counts. F'nor Qwerty Ecsogy is already a 'Peddler', and has sold nothing on the market.

Well if you have the time!

I don't fancy Elite combat in a Sidewinder. Although I found for PvP in one once, going with a hard shell and no shields with efficient lasers worked quite well, as they're reasonable cheap to repair. You can then use silent running as your defence.

Good luck with a Sidwinder. If I was to do triple Elite the Cobra Mk III would seem to the the traditional and historic ship to do it in. In the previous game versions many made Elite long before they had access to other ships. Seems fitting to complete with a Cobra in ED.

Top Bottom