Tritium and fleet carrier fuel

So, tritium is hard to come by on earth and is usualy generated in the atmosphere when cosmic rays hit it. Theres some thing like 3kg of natural tritium on earth.

So could we be scooping it from the atmospheres of planets? Depends on how much we need i guess?

You can make tritium in a breeder reactor using lithium. Lithium is alredy in game, perhaps fleet carriers will have a reactor on bord, that can procces lithium into tritium for use in the drives.

So jumping could simply require a store of lithium and time for the breeder to make enough tritium for a jump. I guess like a cool down.
Doesnt seem too bad as long as the amount of lithium required is not exessive or that it is used up slowly and this doesnt require constant resuply.

Perhaps lithium is about to go up in price due to demand..

Also tritium will replace hydrogen if it come into contact with it so there could be a potential hazard of fuel contamination in our fusion drives from contact with fleet carrier fuel? It also can pass thrugh metals and can change there properties.. corosion? Perhaps even against meta alloys?

Last edited:
Very interesting information! Maybe that's the idea they had when they wanted to limit the frequency of jumps a carrier can make.

The main thing I care about though is this. The Fleet Carrier must not make me a slave to it just to keep it running! I want to be able to potentially leave the game for a month or two and not worry about it!

Unrelated but, in No Man's Sky Tritium is a fuel too but it very plentiful in asteroid fields.

Warning: crazy ideas coming

I wish FD would give us another realistic option for acquiring Tritium from Lithium-6 reaction (to add more depth to the game - instead of the same old same ole - buy or mine mindset). All they need to add to the game is a reactor module. I suppose you could ignore what deuterium has to do with making Tritium but the heat produced would need to be addressed since its an exothermic reaction (heat sinks could do the job).

sorry, the pie in the sky got a hold of me. fantasy speculation this is (however, I do have some experience with non-tritium reactors and exothermic issues)

Top Bottom