Troubleshooting the Pixel 3a as an HMD

I'm playing around with a configuration that utilizes OpenTrack, FreePIE IMU, and Steam Link working on a Pixel 3a over Wi-Fi.

I'm having a couple of issues:
• SBS seems a little scrunched.
• I think the device's camera stabilization feature may be affecting subtle movements.

Is anyone here using a similar configuration with the 3a? I'd be thrilled if I could get some budget VR going here, and I feel like I'm pretty close.

When I used TrinusVR a few years back, I had to change the resolution in NVidia control panel to a custom one. The vertical lines have to be doubled. The reason for this, is that SBS in the game is designed for a 16:9 aspect ratio (such as standard 1080p). When projecting this to a phone, the screen is getting sliced in half and each side is getting resolved by each eye to make a single 3D image, so you are getting half of the vertical lines. You fly into an oval space station that 'breathes' as you roll.

The resolution you need for an un-squashed 1080p image is 1920 x 2160, 2160 being double of 1080. For other resolutions, double the second figure accordingly. Be aware that this will reflect on your main monitor's resolution as well (unless things have changed since), and will have an impact on performance of your GPU. I don't know how this is done on AMD cards.

Nvidia Control Panel >Adjust Resolution Click on the box, 'Custom Resolution' and type in your required numbers.

Regarding the phone's stabilisation. Under in-game Head Look settings, there are sensitivity settings.

Last edited:
Though I'm currently stuck with my Radeon HD 7970, this is still useful information. I'll see what I can do with this in regards to the scrunching.
Does this help?

Does this help?
The Radeon Software interface is a little different now, but the steps are still the same.
Unfortunately, a display resolution of 1920 x 2160 is beyond the reach of my current hardware set. I tried dulling it down to the 720p equivalent (1280 x 1440), but even that is too much. I'm worried going much lower would dull the quality too much and I wouldn't be able to see clearly.

I'm certain that once I get a more suitable display, the information you've given me here will see me running VR through my phone in no time.
Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom