Turning a few minutes fun into a resentful grind

Saw two pirate asassination missions on the local mission board, grabbed em, jumped into my fdl and at the first system i was redirected to a contact in another system, fine.
At the second system i flew around for a good 30 minutes, no sign of the contact, np, i will just go to the next asassination mission.
Got to the target system, a message waiting that the second mission had also been redirected to a contact in another system.
Fool me once ....
Decided to log out and watch a movie. Real life presents me with plenty of passive agressive non confrontation i dont need the games i play trolling me.
I fully expect that the next contact i will be directed to will be Rick Roll.

assassination missions have been for a long time

Her'es how they should play out, you get to the system, the target shows up. And they show up now. And they show up forever. Well or until the missions expires which should be at least 24 hours.

But no, FD have better ideas about mission designs. The kind of better ideas that are terrible.

Add it to the endless list of terrible FD ideas that make this game mostly an exercise in frustration to play. Which is why i don't play it anymore.

Im not sure why i still hang around here occasionally. I guess because i'm expecting a miracle might turn the game around.

Last edited:
Saw two pirate asassination missions on the local mission board, grabbed em, jumped into my fdl and at the first system i was redirected to a contact in another system, fine.
At the second system i flew around for a good 30 minutes, no sign of the contact, np, i will just go to the next asassination mission.
Got to the target system, a message waiting that the second mission had also been redirected to a contact in another system.
Fool me once ....
Decided to log out and watch a movie. Real life presents me with plenty of passive agressive non confrontation i dont need the games i play trolling me.

I suppose this is one of these missions where you're supposed to:
1) scan a navigation beacon at target system
2) using the information from the nav beacon go to appropriate body and wait for "mission target signal source" to appear
3) drop on aforementioned signal source and do your wet job.

It is even stated in black&white in the mission template. I don't take assassination missions usually, so I don't know if its the norm now, or a special type of assassination mission. And to be fair, I like it much better than finding the target stupidly floating in supercruise around system spewing all kinds of nonsense like a wedding barge :)

fly safe :)

Was there any indication of where to find the contact in the second system? Did it not give you a target body to head to when you honked the ADS or scanned the nav beacon? I've been doing loads of these recently but this hasn't happened to me so far, I guess I've just been lucky.

I reported the last assassination I attempted as bugged. No sign of the USS despite relogging and flying around the target body for 25 minutes.

What an utter waste of my time. This isn't gameplay.

Last edited:

Deleted member 94277

D
OP was all like:
7sFYvC.gif

I reported the last assassination I attempted as bugged. No sign of the USS despite relogging and flying around the target body for 25 minutes.

I've been lucky recently, as I've done a whole bunch in a row where the USS has shown up pretty much straight away. But it shouldn't be down to luck - what is the good of making the player wait a random amount of time until the mission target appears? Even ten minutes is way too long just to be hanging around, let alone twenty five. And of course you can never be sure how long is too long, or when to give up. Is the wait supposed to add drama or tension? It adds nothing but boredom and stress.

I really have jinxed myself for my next mission now...

My ED game is mostly missions and i do like combat missions, my last few havent turned out so well, not due i think to any fault of my own.

Im beginning to cringe a bit when i hit the accept button, think i might take a break for a while.

Last edited:
Yes, the redirect for assassination missions is a bit weak, and I've moaned about it often... :D

The not turning up is unusual, they normally do turn up and then you follow their wake and they give you the update - which every single time for me has been to go back to the original system and scan the nav beacon again. Not really good gameplay to just make the player redo exactly the same things they did two minutes previously, and I hate to say it, but it really doesn't make me feel like I'm 'chasing' my target if I simply get sent back to the place I just was.

Just one suggestion, and I don't know if this really works, but it feels like it does. If a mission target of any kind doesn't show up, reset the instance by dropping from SC and then going straight back to SC. It seems to get the game to spawn the target, at least that is what I have done.

Happened to me also few days ago. Will never again do this type of missions, pure .

Sometimes I feel whole mission system is still just a big placeholder for something that will come in the future. Because current one is not worth the rest of the game.

Last edited:
My ED game is mostly missions and i do like combat missions, my last few havent turned out so well, not due i think to any fault of my own.
Im beginning to cringe a bit when i hit the accept button, think i might take a break for a while.
my situation too. yesterday was the first day in a long time that i didn't load ED at all. today will be another. i used to live in hope but that didn't pan out so well, so now i just watch the forums**

** if missions get fixed, can someone please make a 'yay, missions are fixed' thread please

Last edited:
Fool me once ....

Did you try to use your discovery scanner, or are you blaming the game for your own lack of nous? I had my assassination target-the other night-interdict me as I was on my way to his "last known location".....and I have yet to have any issues with tracking down my quarry.....so I suspect the problem is BCAK (between Chair & Keyboard).

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose this is one of these missions where you're supposed to:
1) scan a navigation beacon at target system
2) using the information from the nav beacon go to appropriate body and wait for "mission target signal source" to appear
3) drop on aforementioned signal source and do your wet job.

It is even stated in black&white in the mission template. I don't take assassination missions usually, so I don't know if its the norm now, or a special type of assassination mission. And to be fair, I like it much better than finding the target stupidly floating in supercruise around system spewing all kinds of nonsense like a wedding barge :)

fly safe :)

They work exactly like that. Not that this will prevent more salt build-up in this thread.

Did you try to use your discovery scanner, or are you blaming the game for your own lack of nous? I had my assassination target-the other night-interdict me as I was on my way to his "last known location".....and I have yet to have any issues with tracking down my quarry.....so I suspect the problem is BCAK (between Chair & Keyboard).

Mate calm down. This missions are bugged from the game launch. I was avoiding them but took one few days ago and happened to me also. Yes, you scan and game tells you exact location where target should be and time also. So when you get there, there is no target in SCruise, there is no SSource, you can just wait and loose your time. I even tried to logout and login again, but nothing... only other types of Signal Sources are spawning but not the right one. So be easier with judging other people writings.

Last edited:
Mate calm down. This missions are bugged from the game launch. I was avoiding them but took one few days ago and happened to me also. Yes, you scan and game tells you exact location where target should be and time also. So when you get there, there is no target in SCruise, there is no SSource, you can just wait and loose your time. I even tried to logout and login again, but nothing... only other types of Signal Sources are spawning but not the right one. So be easier with judging other people writings.

So you say, yet I have never had a single problem with a single assassination mission.....except for the time my quarry fled from me & I lacked a wake scanner to track him.....which was entirely my fault.

The fact is that you're mistaking failure to read basic instructions with a bug, so I will sit here & judge very happily.

So you are not having problems with this type of missions but many other people do, and there are no problems then. I'll rather skip conversation with people like you, so have a good day sir.

So you are not having problems with this type of missions but many other people do, and there are no problems then. I'll rather skip conversation with people like you, so have a good day sir.

The question is, did the OP do what was required? Once that is estabilished, then we know whether its a bug or not.

OP - what did you do in order to track down your quarry in the system? Did you do as others have suggested?

The question is, did the OP do what was required? Once that is estabilished, then we know whether its a bug or not.

OP - what did you do in order to track down your quarry in the system? Did you do as others have suggested?

To be fair, the assassination redirects are not unusual, and the OP did exactly what they were supposed to do, go to the new system to meet the contact who would tell them where to go to find the target... If the contact didn't turn up that is indeed a problem, be it a bug or not.

I can say again that I did everything that should be done in mission like this - I've jumped in system at the right time, scanned and got target planet assigned. I've checked every contact during flight there and I've circled around planet for like 2h checking every signal source with no luck.
I don't see really what I would have done to make target appear. I even reloged to see if target will be trigered but no luck.

So I am sure OP will describe what he did, but I know I did everything that should be done regarding this mission so I call it either bugged or not well designed. And I've also read many comments regarding this in the last 2 years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom