Two questions about exclusion zones and navigating

First question: When out exploring I scoop every (scoopable) star until full, and my technique is to fly 'over' the star in a straight line, orienting myself at the exclusion zone, so that the scoop goes to maximum until full. I have scooped 100s of stars, so no problem here, but:
I find it very annoying, that the exclusion zone is not visible with SC 'standstill (30 km/s)', but shows up if you speed up, and this seems not even consistent! Sometimes the ring shows with 10Mm/s, sometimes later with 15 Mm/s, and sometimes (about one in 10 or 20) it does not show up at all, or much later. Is there a trick to make it show up sooner?
Connected to this: I have not much experience with White Dwarfs, but visited a few in the bubble. I always hit the key ('X" in my case) to zero the throttle while in witchspace, so no problems, but how can I see the exclusion zone, without kamikaze like diving into the star? I never once have seen the exclusion zone, even when speeding up, and not going in the stars direction, rather pointing beside it, but I do not feel safe without seeing it. Charging the FSD with a neutron star is also nearly impossible, if one does not see the exclusion zone ring. Is there a trick? And yes, I have orbit lines on, and checked each time when I saw no exclusion zone, so this is not the reason.
Anybody have hints, rules of thumb or even some setting I did overlook?

Second Question: Often, while exploring far outside the bubble in a system some group of very bright stars can be seen. The only way I know to find out which stars they are is going to GalMap, and selecting near stars around me, and then leaving the GalMap and looking where the ring is shown. If it comes near to the star(s), I know I am looking in the right direction in GalMap too. Sometimes it is clearly a nearby star, but sometimes the stars are very far away, and the formation can be seen in neighbouring systems too. Is there a better way to find out which star(s) they are? There is no connection to the 'direction' you are pointing your ship and the GalMap - or is there? It is nearly impossible to find very bright stars in GalMap, even if you have found the correct direction, if the star is several 100 ly distant.
Are there better ways to do this?

Thank you!

So I once asked myself the same questions...

For the 1st one, I use the radar. The exclusion zone can be seen as a white grid around the star.

For the 2nd one, there is no way to know in the galmap where your ship is currently pointing. So it's try'n'fail : I select a star, see if it's in the good direction, and if yes, I go forward towards this direction.

1) No, AFAIK there no way to change that. It's just the FD decided to fade in/out those lines.

2) You could always orient yourself according the the 'normal' way we look at the galaxy from 'above', the align yourself with e.g. Sag-A and then take it from there, i.e. if the shiny is to your left and below you, that's a good indication/start. If you want/need a more precise vector then the method you mentioned is the same way I do it. Alternatively, if the shiny by chance is close and you're not in the core then you can also go go to the Galmap, switch to realistic mode and try moving the view around and you might be able to make it out as one of the few bright dots that's rendered in the distance.

Thank you all for your replies!

I think I will write a suggestion post about the exclusion zone and the lines, this should be configurable. It also does not work every time, as I mentioned, exclusion zones sometimes do not show up around a star, if you are flying toward it pointing the ship in a safe direction, tangentially to the star. With normal stars this is no problem with enough experience, and watching the heat gives you hints. Maybe I am overly nervous about White Dwarfs and Neutron Stars - I will have to experiment a bit. Time for my old Sidewinder ;)

With white dwarf stars, the outer end of the cone is usually close to the exclusion zone. Honestly a boost from one of these is only going to save you a single jump, hardly worth the time to charge your fsd up. But if you must, I find that slowly approaching the cone head on is the easiest way, you will start to charge before you actually enter the visible cone, leaving you far enough out to turn and avoid the exclusion zone IF you come in slowly, very slowly! Like I said, not really worth the trouble for 2x the range.

Exclusion zones and orbital cruise lines do seem to show up far later than they need to or would be useful at.

I've opened a bug report for it here - please feel free to add your own examples of zones showing up too late / not at all / not at the right angles, etc.

With white dwarf stars, the outer end of the cone is usually close to the exclusion zone. Honestly a boost from one of these is only going to save you a single jump, hardly worth the time to charge your fsd up. But if you must, I find that slowly approaching the cone head on is the easiest way, you will start to charge before you actually enter the visible cone, leaving you far enough out to turn and avoid the exclusion zone IF you come in slowly, very slowly! Like I said, not really worth the trouble for 2x the range.
I did not want to charge! I just felt unsafe and wanted to see the zone, to get a feeling for the size of it. Yes, I can point away and all is safe, but the problem is, that I want to see the dam*ed zone around such objects (black holes, WD and Neutron Stars). This is the reason I complain ;)

I've opened a bug report for it here - please feel free to add your own examples of zones showing up too late / not at all / not at the right angles, etc.
Done.

I did not want to charge! I just felt unsafe and wanted to see the zone, to get a feeling for the size of it. Yes, I can point away and all is safe, but the problem is, that I want to see the dam*ed zone around such objects (black holes, WD and Neutron Stars). This is the reason I complain ;)
I would love to feel unsafe just once somewhere in this game! :D

FWIW, I almost always roll to have the star “above “ my ship when scooping. You might call it upside down. The reason is that, for minimal effort, all ships have a better cockpit view above center compared to below. And thus I find it’s easier to control proximity to exclusion zone, scoop rates and heat level.

Top Bottom