Type 7 or save for a Type 9?

I've got 46m in the bank, so I'm well on my way to being able to afford a Type 9 (with LYR discount). I wasn't going to pull the trigger on it until I had around 100m banked.

The question is, do I grab a Type 7 as a stepping stone? I've been spending a lot of time doing passenger runs in a Dolphin, and I've seen the occasional run I can't do due to requiring more 1st class cabins than I can cram in it. So I guess my actual question is will cramming a Type 7 with first class / luxury cabins give me any significant boost to my income? Will the game generate more higher-paying 1st class passenger missions if I had a ship ready for it?

Allow me to tack this on too: I've been playing with eddb.io's trading tools, as well as a few others I've found through googling, and I'm failing to see how it's really profitable. I did an A>B>A this morning (following eddb.io's suggestion on what to trade) and netted a grand total of about 160k. Does it become more profitable as I get bigger cargo capacities? Am I just in the wrong place? Do I just need to adjust my expectations? It just seems that nothing has a higher return in terms of time put in than passenger missions.

I don't mean to sound like a money-grabbing pleb racing to some imaginary finish line or "end game", by the way. I'm just frothing at the mouth to get my hands on a Type 9, I think it's gorgeous. I WANT EEEETT! Then I can get back to mining and exploring.

When I select a trading route in the eddb I always do a single transaction...meaning just two. A>B>A.
And, I make sure it is just one jump.
And, I make sure the profit is at least around 5k.

Good luck, CMDR!

Another vote here for the Type-7. I can haul 272t in one go, and my Type-7 just got me into the top 10% of the last CG, and netted me 29million Cr. Thats the ship and most of the modules paid for and then some.

I've fitted a B rated FSD rather than an A rated, due to the fact it was all I could get at the time but it can still jump 26ly with a bit of help from Farseer. I also got a lucky roll on my Clean Drive tuning and the turn rate is now amazing with 4 pips to engines - like really good

It also has a superb Yaw rate, so avoiding interdictions is easy, not failed one yet against NPC

Another vote here for the Type-7. I can haul 272t in one go, and my Type-7 just got me into the top 10% of the last CG, and netted me 29million Cr. Thats the ship and most of the modules paid for and then some.

I've fitted a B rated FSD rather than an A rated, due to the fact it was all I could get at the time but it can still jump 26ly with a bit of help from Farseer. I also got a lucky roll on my Clean Drive tuning and the turn rate is now amazing with 4 pips to engines - like really good

It also has a superb Yaw rate, so avoiding interdictions is easy, not failed one yet against NPC

The 7 is way more nimble than a flying brick should be and that's exactly why I always recommend it.

Possibly neither.

Trading right?

T7 cargo = 304 t
T9 = 532

BUT t7 jump is not bad - 24 ly
t9 is dreadful - 17 ly

if you want to move cargo far fast the Beluga liner can haul 368 t cargo over 26.57 ly jump range.

If you think you might need protection doing this the Anaconda hauls 468 t over 22.6 ly with enough protection for most.

If you want to travel in style the Imperial Cutter has the largest cargo in the game at 792 t, a moderate jump range at 18.3 and a good set of guns.

If you prefer feds - the corvette hauls 624 over a jump of 19.1 andf is nearly 20 million cheaper than the Cutter.

Price wise - Cutter - 203 mill
Corvette - 180 mill
COnda - 146 mill
Beluga - 82 mill
T9 - 76 mill
T7 - 17.4

If you are serious about the t9 - get a beluga instead.

I never thought I'd live to see the day when people would be genuinely recommending the flying coffin Type 7 [where is it]

My T-6 was chopped in for a T-7, doubling my income was certainly welcome. Although its certainly an interim ship as I save for a T-9, the T-7 is nice although she likes to run hot.

I never thought I'd live to see the day when people would be genuinely recommending the flying coffin Type 7 [where is it]

I had the exact same thought...

I can see some logic behind someone choosing a T9, but the T7 is and has always been such a dire deathtrap of a ship I wouldn't ever recommend it to anyone.

My 2 cents, say nuts to both the Lacon lumps and grab a python, it can out trade the T7 and out fight the T9, you'll never have to worry about npc pirates in a python, and you can do some bounty hunting on the side.

Last edited:
I had the exact same thought...

I can see some logic behind someone choosing a T9, but the T7 is and has always been such a dire deathtrap of a ship I wouldn't ever recommend it to anyone.

My 2 cents, say nuts to both the Lacon lumps and grab a python, it can out trade the T7 and out fight the T9, you'll never have to worry about npc pirates in a python, and you can do some bounty hunting on the side.

The reason I went for the T7 over the T9 for a trader, is its ability to evade interdiction in Supercruise, wheareas the T9 moves like a drunk whale thats eaten 3 kebabs

Won't argue ref the python though, if you have enough credits than thats the smart move for sure

A great way to try ships you are interested in is to purchase BETA access when it is offered. It is usually fairly inexpensive (was $10 USD for all of the Horizons Betas) and usually gives the CMDR access to all of the ships, at 90% discount (and that's in BETA credits) and without rank-locks. A great way to try out ships, fit them out in different module/weapons combinations and test those out. We sometimes even get easy and cheap/free access to engineer modifications to test out. Loads of fun and lets CMDRs try ships they could never afford otherwise.

I used BETA access to test the Lakon Type-9. I found it to be under-whelming, slow and ungainly. The weapons hard-points are all on one side (near the front) and it looks like a giant bulls-eye form the top and bottom. As soon as I flew it I knew I wanted a Gutamaya Cutter. My "stepping-stone" ships were the Python, Anaconda and Corvette to get to the Cutter. o7

Get the Type-7 first and contribute to the next CGs. Normally it pays off with the first one, because it's fairly cheap. If you have access to engineers, take a 3A shield generator in some other ship out to Elvira Martuuk and let her do some rolls until the optimal mass gets up about 2% as a sideeffect. After that you can outfit the A3 shields into the Type-7, gaining some more cargo space. Mine is running at 288 tons with 3A shields + advanced discovery scanner, which I personally don't want to miss.
Jumprange is 22.43 ly laden (G5 FSD) and speed is 216/265 m/s laden. That's not too shabby, I'd say, so give it a try, especially because it's way more cheap than the other ships mentioned here. And for a proper Type-9 you'll need much more Credits than you have right now, much more...

I

Get the Type-7 first and contribute to the next CGs. Normally it pays off with the first one, because it's fairly cheap. If you have access to engineers, take a 3A shield generator in some other ship out to Elvira Martuuk and let her do some rolls until the optimal mass gets up about 2% as a sideeffect. After that you can outfit the A3 shields into the Type-7, gaining some more cargo space. Mine is running at 288 tons with 3A shields + advanced discovery scanner, which I personally don't want to miss.
Jumprange is 22.43 ly laden (G5 FSD) and speed is 216/265 m/s laden. That's not too shabby, I'd say, so give it a try, especially because it's way more cheap than the other ships mentioned here. And for a proper Type-9 you'll need much more Credits than you have right now, much more...

I

This - i bought mine just prior to this last CG, and it paid for itself in just the profit from hauling Superconductors at 3.6k profit per tonne, and it can carry 272t of cargo. I did around 34 single jump runs and it got me into the top 10% and the profit alone was about 26.5 million just from the cargo

A G4 FSD range increase from Felicty, and a lucky roll on G1 Clean Drives tuning and it turns great and is a lot faster than stock

Great cargo ship

Top Bottom