Type-9 Heavy Orbital/Atmospheric Flight Error?

Hi everyone.

I visited Elvira Martuuk the Engineer in the Khun system. I just thought I'd post what happened to me when I arrived.

I approached way too fast and came out of hyper speed once at the planet with a damage penalty for doing so which is fine. I re-entered hyper and made my way around the planet since her station was obscured then once I'd lined up with the station I got a "too close coming out of hyperspace" message. I was already in the atmosphere and about 150km from her station. At this point I thought what the heck, just go steadily the rest of the 150km. I went to the kitchen for a minute, returned and saw I was now 45km from the station travelling at 800kph speed in the atmosphere in "regular" space and was also able to use boost. It's a Type 9 Heavy, absolutely incapable of anything over probably 300kph.

I realised I needed to reduce speed and turn away from the station, but even with zero engine power and turning my ships nose up, I continued to gain speed and unable to change direction and ultimately crashed into the ground which then cost me many millions of credits to buy back.

Any thoughts?

The heavy ships can catch you out when landing in higher gravity planets, don't own a T9 but do have a Cutter and Corvette. The Cutter in particular has a lot of drift and the thrusters take a long time to take effect in slowing down.

You can build up speed during a planetary landing, significantly over the rated speed of the ship, happened to me.

Also you can get some protection from hard landings with heavy shields, however, as fast you were going shields may not have helped.

Also, AFK will kill your ships, ask me how I know. You learn to pause the game.

The heavy ships can catch you out when landing in higher gravity planets, don't own a T9 but do have a Cutter and Corvette. The Cutter in particular has a lot of drift and the thrusters take a long time to take effect in slowing down.

You can build up speed during a planetary landing, significantly over the rated speed of the ship, happened to me.

Also you can get some protection from hard landings with heavy shields, however, as fast you were going shields may not have helped.

Also, AFK will kill your ships, ask me how I know. You learn to pause the game.
Sure I understand about AFK but it was literally seconds. Not as though I needed to go have a chat with the neighbours.

A lesson learned all the same.

Fun times.

AFK is dangerous. Maybe we can call the game AFK Dangerous instead?

I exit to main menu when I have to leave the computer. The game is good at remembering where I was :)

As mentioned above, if that happened with FA on, it shouldn't have and was definitely some kind of weird glitch. But if you were flying FA Off, yes Sir you just did an accidental Speedbowl in a T-9 and you should be very proud about it!

With that said, a tip from a fellow Speedbowler: pitching nose up to break a dive is absolutely useless, even more so in the graceful and nimble T-9. Keep level, boost and thrust upward, your ship will do its best to avoid lithobraking. Though in the case of the lovely cow, its best might not be that much. :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom