UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I bring good news today! I would first like to thank the FDev support team for finally agreeing that the second probe I had was indeed lost to a scooping bug with the SRV on the surface of Merope 5 C, thanks to a second video I made explaining point by point how the probe was lost instead of destroyed, and why it was entirely not my fault (comparing footage and sound of an Unknown Artefact getting destroyed versus the loss of the Unknown Probe I had recorded).

As a thank you, the support team did not return one but TWO (2) Unknown Probes to me (the first had been lost to what I believe to be a shield clipping bug, but I only had audio to prove it). I will now resume experiments and do a few things with both before giving one back to a Canonn member.

I am still taking requests via PM so, if you have an experiment in mind, feel free to message me and I'll see what I can do!

Have the new UP's allready been honked at and recorded.
Since the latest patch notes say something about a change to the Probe a new spectogram could bring new findings.
And since he had 2 UP's why not honk them when they're together?

I think this should be a priority above all but that's just my opinion.

I think I do get your point MadDog, but I have another view at it.
If you're looking for pixel-perfection, keep in mind the image can be rescaled horizontally and vertically in Audacity by a) dragging the bottom of the track-frame and b) by using the mouse-wheel to zoom out/in.
The decoding is still Logarithmic but pixels will get displaced.

However if you're looking for measuring components, the relation should still be static - all measures are increased with the same scale.

So pixel-operations to get a proper visual look doesn't need to be exact - you can still derive the proper relationship if you take care in scaling.

Well, the point I'm trying to make is that the image is the clue and what the image looks is determined by whatever scaling factor if used for y=fn(x)

Anyone trying to determine angles from it needs to be absolutely sure that they have the correct scale, logically that is whatever makes the image exactly circular.

I asked earlier but was neither told aye or nay, but I'm guessing someone has looked at the red and blue spectogram with anaglyph glasses. Possible hypothesis that what ever is meant to be reading this data / image has slightly different visual perception. Or it's just a further encoding device. How to test - put on anaglyph glasses and look at it. Either something will be obvious or it won't be there.

I don't own a pair, any takers out there in the name of Science?

Last edited:
Right newgrange Sirius mystery.

Pleades on kerb stone 52.

Sundial on the stone

http://image.slidesharecdn.com/newgrange-100912073328-phpapp02/95/newgrange-31-728.jpg?cb=1284277597

Also a mystery and cosmo site of science

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/84/0e/c0/840ec0a1a37001fd1ba4a4f8a93514dd.jpg

Reference site and also further links of interest http://grahamhancock.com/phorum/read.php?1,317817,317817

Symbols on the Kerb stone indicating mathematical numbers usage of symbols like we have in up image http://www.mythicalireland.com/astronomy/astroart/brennan.gif

Also newgrange itself has wierd land trecnhs dug towards certain stones indicating certain contelations

The funny thing is that I learned about Newgrange in search of ancient astronomical technologies lol.

from the oppostie end of the earth the pilaedies are Matariki...torn out eyes of some gods who upset someone bigger....signify the new year (midwinter), point is they are obviuosly a bright patch in the sky so will feature in all peoples lore

Ok. Try to solve simple text puzzle. "For sale: two tickets for Thursday night's game. Section PR5, row 2, seats 5 and 6, dead centre, perfect viewing height. let me know".

This puzzle is link to merope system.

Have you been digging through the files ? :/

Something will happen during the next live stream ?

Last edited:
Or hey, here's a famous one that british people should know - Why is a raven like a writing desk?

That one was done by a regular human who lived not very long ago, we have a tonne of common experiences to use as reference points.

Or even better- "What's in my pockets?" (this is probably exactly the kind of riddle we are looking at- impossible, not even really a riddle, totally obvious later on)

Oh, I dont know british hang about that because Im not british and live over ~5000km from, but this puzzle from https://i.imgur.com/7Hl7i9R.jpg

I thought the 4 quadrants were just 1,2,3,4 but depending on the endianess, each quarter is a clue to the key and there is other info in there we need to decode on order of the quadrants.

But hey, this is all way beyond me. I would never even have had a clue how to decode the sound into an image in the first place.

To be honest, it's quite annoying for me that either this mystery requires genuis levels brainpower to solve, or its going to be something so simple we facepalm when we find out what it is. Whatever, it basically excludes a large part of the community who simply don't understand this stuff and perhaps even more so, those who have little interest in following the forums, and miss out on all this out-of-game stuff. Ideally, this sort of thing should actually be solvable in game.

But i think whoever does solve this, will deserve a PhD in Brooksoligy and a Diploma in Thinking Outside the Box.

It's worth noting that when Drew left us a puzzle with "RO,C" (Right On, Commander) encoded with that most hyper-secure form of encryption, ROT-13; it had us foxed for weeks.

We do tend to over-think things. I think.

I asked earlier but was neither told aye or nay, but I'm guessing someone has looked at the red and blue spectogram with anaglyph glasses. Possible hypothesis that what ever is meant to be reading this data / image has slightly different visual perception. Or it's just a further encoding device. How to test - put on anaglyph glasses and look at it. Either someone will be obvious or it won't be there.

I don't own a pair, any takers out there in the name of Science?

Yes, I did try using my anaglyph glasses at your suggestion. The blue image does (IMO) have much more detail, especially in the bass (bottom of the image). Red is pretty noisy.

Could be worth someone knowing how to filter it, giving it a shot.

I'm not certain how, but may investigate it.

Arguendo

Volunteer Moderator
The one thing all of the stations I've seen recordings from have in common is that they have all at some time been infected by UAs. What we need is a recording of a station which we know hasn't been! This is obviously tricky as we have no concrete way of knowing if a station has ever been infected, but I have a few I can think of to try.
I got the same results from Buchli City in Mildeptu. Any information about that having been infected by UAs?
Also, I got some symbols by pulling a spectogram off an outpost, but I can't for the life of me remember which one. It had a large "beacon" with a red light on top of it, and there were some sounds coming off it that gave off some symbols when running it in Audacity. Nothing legible though, but not the same as from the Stations.
BPL6I5O.png

Yes, I did try using my anaglyph glasses at your suggestion. The blue image does (IMO) have much more detail, especially in the bass (bottom of the image). Red is pretty noisy.

Could be worth someone knowing how to filter it, giving it a shot.

I'm not certain how, but may investigate it.

Cheers cmdr. I would have thought that if there was going to be any further 'stuff' to find that it would be really obvious. If nothing really stood out, clear shapes or patterns easily defined then I'd probably say it doesn't contain anything. But further analysis wouldn't hurt either.

from the oppostie end of the earth the pilaedies are Matariki...torn out eyes of some gods who upset someone bigger....signify the new year (midwinter), point is they are obviuosly a bright patch in the sky so will feature in all peoples lore

Ok now rule out the obvious Sirius reference and mysterys in cosmotoligy surrounding newgrange

I got the same results from Buchli City in Mildeptu. Any information about that having been infected by UAs?
Also, I got some symbols by pulling a spectogram off an outpost, but I can't for the life of me remember which one. It had a large "beacon" with a red light on top of it, and there were some sounds coming off it that gave off some symbols when running it in Audacity. Nothing legible though, but not the same as from the Stations.
What if devs put this lines just for sound effects? I mean they can use VST synthesator, but this is was end of work day and they just draw lines on specre for effect :D

Ok. Try to solve simple text puzzle. "For sale: two tickets for Thursday night's game. Section PR5, row 2, seats 5 and 6, dead centre, perfect viewing height. let me know".

This puzzle is link to merope system.

After re reading that ... Which I always though was a red herring... You might actually have a point. I remember someone did some graphics with that - can anyone root them up? MaddogMurdock - you were around at the time - remember anything?

There is a strong chance that that was a previous "Failed" clue.

So I am going to simplify this approach even further - as I agree completely with your assessment, we need to start of the MOST SIMPLE interpretation of the image.

1. The symbols around the sides are the order of the instructions - but they aren't a binary number system, they are just a really obvious pattern - 1 is bottom right, 2 is top left, 3 is bottom left, 4 is top right.
2. First step is a 135 angle which is the Argumant of Periapsis of Merope 5C - this is basically confirming the planet is Merope 5C and telling us that the alien knows how to depict an angle and that the sphere is the planet
3. This is a symbol for 'orbit' or 'fly to this planet and search'
4. These two lines, as you say, indicate a point on the planet. They stop abruptly at the planet's surface for a reason. And we read them by, as you say, measuring the angle from somewhere on the sphere - your interpretation is the best one I have heard to date.
5. This symbol indicates a 'scan' or sorts once we have the location. It could be we scan the point, or need the UP in tow for it to scan.

I really think this whole image is something like this. Just a simple image with some simple instructions.

My only real objection to "aren't a binary number system" is that your obvious pattern would have been better served by using:

---|
--|-
-|--
|---

The introduction of -|| is what makes me think binary.

But if we keep binary, but then use your instructions, we only actually have to invert two; it becomes:

1. Fly to planet with 135 angle.
2. Enter orbit.
3. Scan.
4. A point on the planet is indicated.

That said, I don't buy #1 because I don't think the image is that exactly drawn. 135 happens to also just be where you'd draw a radius line half way between anyway... plus the Probe is already pointing at Merope 5c, why give the same information twice?

Last edited:
My only real objection to "aren't a binary number system" is that your obvious pattern would have been better served by using:

---|
--|-
-|--
|---

But if we keep binary, but then use your instructions, we only actually have to invert two; it becomes:

2. Enter orbit.
3. Scan.

That said, I don't buy #1 because I don't think the image is that exactly drawn. 135 happens to also just be where you'd draw a radius line half way between anyway... plus the Probe is already pointing at Merope 5c, why give the same information twice?

Can you show the facts where probe pointing directly to merope 5c? i heard probe pointing only to merope star.

---|
--|-
-|--
|---

2. Enter orbit.
3. Scan.

Scan what? Or how?
I have done that.

1.2. Flown in orbit on route from 0,0 in roughly 135 deg. (that is x+ and y- nearly equally, with slight bias towards x)
3. Scanned with AdvDiscScan. Scanned the planet.. well looked at it, as I scanned it before
4. ... Nada...
Occassionally dropped to check craters and stuff. Nothing popped up
Got bored at roughly 75,-69. Did not make it to 90,-90

Feel free to do the same to replicate results, or propose different definition of 135 deg.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom