UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Maybe we should change the forum title to be UA, Barnacles, and the UP. Seems like there is some ambiguity regarding anything else other than that on this thread being off topic...

Heh, I didn't dare fly in when in I was in normal space in the gap. Did you get hit by a rock?

It was all good until I decided to try and get a side on view with the debug cam!
I can possibly claim to have taken the most powerful single piece of damage in ED so far.

I'm convinced I have decoded the image, but I have run out of time to play so can someone else run with it??

1) UA identifies system as Merope by pointing
2) UP Identifies planet within system as 5C by pointing, but also perhaps by image which is explained in more detail below.

Now for the 'Key'

3) The Outer Symbols
Assuming morse code the symbols represent 1,2,3,4....the next in sequence 5
The two curved lines the orbit of A and B....the next in sequence C
We therefore have the outer symbols also identifying Merope 5C

4) The Inner Symbols
So now the planet has been identified, the inner symbols need to specify location on the planet. This fits in with the sequence of >System(UA)>Planet(UP)>Image(Location on planet)

If I was stranded or wanted to direct somebody to something firstly a stationary reference point is required that is easily identifyable and prominent, and that can be easily located from space. What better reference point than the largest and most dominating crater? Taking the bottom left lines as representing the meteor strike we can overlay the image so that the centre of the crater is on the circumference.

NOTE: The crater is only visible when the star is illuminating this side, and I think that is what the arc on the left is trying to tell us. (in game, maximise gamma when dark)

Finally, the radius line can now be followed to a specific point on the surface by referencing the crater.

This can be followed in game by orientating your ship as per the diagram. I have tried it and its easy to follow. I looked in one crater but didn't find anything, however the defined area will still take some searching as without co-ordinates it leaves a bit to interpretation. I also forgot to pack an SRV!

FRFIk2k.jpg

Last edited:
Basic game knowledge?

That hasn't helped us solve it so far! Summary: we cant rule anything out apart from what MB has said (i.e. that it is space based, pointing is deliberate, and transmission decoding not related to barnacles)

Last edited:
I'm convinced I have decoded the image, but I have run out of time to play so can someone else run with it??

2) UP Identifies planet within system as 5C by pointing, but also perhaps by image which is explained in more detail below.

3) The Outer Symbols

4) The Inner Symbols
So now the planet has been identified, the inner symbols need to specify location on the planet. This fits in with the sequence of >System(UA)>Planet(UP)>Image(Location on planet)

If you wanted to specify a precise location on a planet surface you need a reference point easily located from space. What better reference point than the largest and most dominating crater? Taking the bottom left lines as representing the meteor strike we can overlay the image so that the centre of the crater is on the circumference.

NOTE: The crater is only visible when the star is illuminating this side, and I think that is what the arc on the left is trying to tell us. (in game, maximise gamma when dark)

Finally, the radius line can now be followed to a specific point on the surface by referencing the crater.

This can be followed in game by orientating your ship as per the diagram. I have tried it and its easy to follow. I looked in one crater but didn't find anything, however the defined area will still take some searching as without co-ordinates it leaves a bit to interpretation. I also forgot to pack an SRV!

http://i.imgur.com/FRFIk2k.jpg

+Rep
Well, at least this one is a brand new interpretation for sure, CMDR!
Wrong or not, some fresh air is always welcome.
Worth a check in the highlighted area CMDRs.

That hasn't helped us solve it so far! Summary: we cant rule anything out apart from what MB has said (i.e. that it is space based, pointing is deliberate, and transmission decoding not related to barnacles)
If you get distracted by a player owned ship AFK near a star, you are not going to do much to solve anything.

If you get distracted by a player owned ship AFK near a star, you are not going to do much to solve anything.

So please share the proof you have with us all that this is not involved? because so far this has not been tested but you seem pretty certain?

I mean, if the two lines in the spectrograph line up with the witchhead and california nebulae, that would give a bit of meaning to that part of the image...but at the available speeds they had when they left they would be up to maybe 500LY from Merope? Maybe an idea to take the lines from merope to those nebulae and search approx 5-600ly into the journey?

I don't think the lines on the spectrogram point to two nebulae that simply. I think if it leads us somewhere it will do it differently. But I do agree that the lines along the path to those nebulae might yield something.

3) The Outer Symbols

4) The Inner Symbols

If you wanted to specify a precise location on a planet surface you need a reference point easily located from space. What better reference point than the largest and most dominating crater? Taking the bottom left lines as representing the meteor strike we can overlay the image so that the centre of the crater is on the circumference.

http://i.imgur.com/FRFIk2k.jpg

questions:
When does this map work? The area that is lit changes constantly as m5c and m5 orbit the star Merope.
Why no coordinates again? How do you have an area to search but no coordinates?
How does a distant light source illuminate 1/4 of a circle? On that diagram, if that was light it would make more sense to show 1/2 of the circle illuminated.
Why do you have the light coming from the right in the picture but say it should be coming from the upper left?

I can't tell where that diagram points on the surface- if you turn the planet so the center of the crater is right on the visible edge of the planet, that makes the target area a circle all the way around the planet. Does the light have to come exactly from 90 degrees to the view?

Nobody is going to be able to check this for you because you haven't specified a place to check.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Warning! the search area is not the large crater: read carefully the post ;)

I think it's good to have enthusiasm and be positive... but where is the search area? Did you see something in that post that I missed? Because the only hard geometric relation I can find in that diagram is that his target point is on a circle that is on the surface 90 degrees away from the giant crater.... and is a full circumference of the planet oO

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom