UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Assuming the rings have no tilt. Depending on the origin of the rings, they may have a tilt, e.g. from a broken up moon with its own orbital inclination. Does your tracing paper line up or is it ~6 degrees out?

It is about 6 degrees out yes - but that is eyeballing - I will need to measure it more accurately to confirm (lacking the technical equipment at the moment - I have seem to have misplaced my protractor from high-school from 27 years ago).

I have to admit I have not seen an example of a broken moon ring which is off-axis to the rotational plane of the body. If you know of one can you remember the system name? That would be a really cool place to visit :)

Hmm. Well nevermind then. I would have to side with the theory about the mountain in the small crater in the huge crater on Merope 5C, I am here now and it just looks suspicious.... ...like it's planning something.

Hmm. Well nevermind then. I would have to side with the theory about the mountain in the small crater in the huge crater on Merope 5C, I am here now and it just looks suspicious.... ...like it's planning something.

Been there did that days ago and nothing. if its on merope 5c then it sure is well hidden.

Its not uncommon for there to be small mountains in the center of craters. I've seen a good few of them in other craters on Merope 5c as well as other planets.

Last edited:
The interest was there 3 weeks ago, and people have been all over the Merope system and the crater and found nowt. It also doesn't make a lot of sense that it should beam such an image at us - especially given that we've been told that the pointing at 5c and the image are not necessarily related.

It isn't just about where but when. Free floating UPs are rare, but far less rare than trying to find a convoy to raid. Additionally the free floating ones will have some different information in them. This is required to advance to the next part. LordZoltan, I'll send you the first UP, and exact timing and co-ords when I can sit and park for a few rotations. Won't be checking the forums much.

Last edited:
A quick advice:
I've added CMDR Bungalo's experiments about the Purrs and CMDR Rixaeton's theories on the Front Page, with the usual difficulties of doing it from mobile.
Cheers from the Dolomites.

awXLxFn.jpg

Last edited:
@Riz many thanks, I know it's tough to do from mobile but it is appreciated. I think your scenic surroundings should compensate you for the trouble they cause :)

Bitstorm said:

"Well I know you're theorising but just to say, I have been carrying 1 UA + 10 MA for 3-4 days, nothing has yet transmuted in my hold!"

Unfortunately, if my theory held, which I'm sceptical about, you would need at least 12 MAs in the hold for the 12 canisters of the UA.

Last edited:
Well it's just that the black and white image does indeed show the angle as 50 degrees.

However on using a image direct from the UP audio, placing the image into photoshop, overlaying a perfect circle to ensure the scan image circle is perfect, and measuring the angle....

It came to pretty much exactly 45 degrees.

You say you did the same and got 50.19 degrees? So I'm not sure, it is possible I am mistaken then, but I thought I did check this.

I will have a look.

Tried starting with the audio and I get 47 which changes your 81.59 to 78.4 or thereabouts. But then for the 30 degree I get 31 which brings 78.4 back up to 79.4 so still a few degrees off. What's the explanation for the 60 degree line?

Yeah, so the difference that I've been using between "purrs" and "chirps" has been mostly from the front page.

Purrs: Regular and low frequency. Consist of 15 "pulses" at a given frequency, one is notably shorter than the other.
Code:
"Low Purr"     55hz     A1    ~3.4sec full duration
"High Purr"    ~88hz    F2    ~1.8sec full duration

Purrs:
http://i.imgur.com/WZ8co8R.png

Purrs sound like this:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6603562/Elite UP/purrs.mp3

Chirps: Irregular, and higher-frequency. Chirps happen in the 800-1200hz range, and frequently consist of "triplets" of 3 chirps in a pattern of "high" and "low" chirps. Sometimes sounds in that frequency band happen not in triplets, but I've ignored those as they appear to be ambient noise.

Ok, I gave Vent Aileron's Audio a listen, and found some interesting stuff. First off, you and Mykl's audio was cleaner, so the counts for Vent's audio might be off by +/- 1 or 2.

Here's the data:
Code:
                                            Purrs       chirp triplets       Purrs/min       Chirp Triplets/min
Merope 5                                      18       7                     6.0              2.3
Merope 5 cleanest                             18       10                    6.0              3.3
Near Merope                                   18       14                    6.0              4.7
Near Merope Cleanest                          17       13                    5.7              4.3
Merope 5c                                     17       9                     5.7              3.0
Merope 5c Cleanest                            18       4                     6.0              1.3
Praea Theia RT-Z D13-7                        33       6                     11.0             2.0
Merope Deep Space (Vent Aileron)              32       7                     10.7             2.3
NCG 2546 Sector CR-U D3-29 A 1 High Orbit     31       7                     10.3             2.3
NCG 2546 Sector CR-U D3-29 Triple Take        34       8                     11.3             2.7
Unknown Probe (1hr Recording from NetSlayer)  17       11                    5.7              3.7

Observations:
  • Immediately noticeable is that the purr rate for the audio from Vent Aileron is almost double that of the other recordings. I initially thought those audio files got sped up, because the "Purr" duration and pitch also seems altered in those recordings, but the chirps pitch and duration is the same as in Mykl's recordings. I re-downloaded the files to double check, as well. This is wierd.
  • The 1hr recording from netslayer, interestingly, is at the "normal" purr rate. I, unfortunately, don't have a location for this recording. It is an hour long recording, and interstingly, does not have "scoop/eject" noises in it, so I suspect it's a "fresh, untainted" UP. Not sure what that means.
  • In the recordings from Mykl, the rate of purrs is constant (within a reasonable margin of error). In the recordings from Vent the rate of purrs is constant, but different.
  • In the recordings from Mykl, the rate of chirp triplets varies (good evidence it varies) possibly with a weak correlation to location (unsure, lack of data). In the recordings from Vent, the rate of chirp triplets is constant (within a reasonable margin of error).

Conclusion:
  • Purr rate is not linked to the system you are in. It does vary, but cause is unknown.
  • Chirp rate is likely not linked to location. We did see variations in chirp rate, but only within the Merope system.

And now for another note: Remember, everyone, when you're trying to solve a problem like this, to think like a game designer. The designers of this puzzle are humans, and have designed it to be solved by us players.

You have some encouraging test results there--something weird almost always results in a scientific breakthrough ( unless you work at CERN LHC!) ;)

Britain! I already did the first test with the UP, both from orbit and ground. But a double check is always good.

Honking UP in large crater on merope 5C is still not done according to the UP test sheet ( last time I looked at breakfast this morning)- did you do the test & not update the record sheet?; anyway I was requesting a variation - honk it around the central peak in the smaller crater located within the largest crater- gave Bitstorm the coordinates this morning.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom