UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
There is something definitely there. What it pertains to or I do not know. I wonder if we can get the voice cleared up a bit.

here is the link again.

I don't think this is just my mind making up something from static.

https://soundcloud.com/timothy-rawlings/up-voice-hidden-message

You are right, it's a voice with a voice changer applied, if we can somehow reverse that effect or atleast clear it up we will find out what it says. How was this sound found though, how can we reproduce it ourselves?

I may have something here.

UAs point to Merope.

UPs point to Merope 5C.

So...

Coordinates from image for Merope 5C...

-140 (
+/- 2 degrees)

Upper left quadrant marks zero degree point on circle.

Bottom right gives -140 degrees reading from top (see below for reason). Positive 140 degrees doesn't work at all. I've already looked, but you're welcome to try again.

Bottom left gives -28 degrees

Upper right is the nice ringed body you see in the sky constantly and locks down the location to read from. Converting 140 to -140 puts you in a position where all you see when you look up is the nice ringed body, like in the upper right quadrant.

Why is this all relevant?

These coordinates put you right in the middle of a line already drawn by the barnacles (see image).

Allow plus, or minus 2 degrees on either side of these co-ordinates as the line on the image is a tad fuzzy, but it is the best we have.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff460/pixiegonebad1/coords mer 5c X sml.jpg

Coordinates lie along path of the barnacles...

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff460/pixiegonebad1/barnacle sites mer 5c X sml.jpg

If this is a crash site, then it is logical that if it was transporting barnacle seeds, some have been ejected during the crash.

I am currently at the site (solo mode). But I am having issues with POI on Merope 5C (never had issues before). I can hear the audio cues as I go over, but nothing shows on the radar. I can only look by SRV scans, which is tortuous!

Threw out my other theories and started from scratch as it was getting overthunk. Simple is best (perhaps).

Do with this all information what you will.

Apologies for quoting myself, but has anyone, apart from Allant, checked this out? Was anything found in this area?

5C is glitching terribly for me (POI not showing/falling into the planet etc), so I can't do much myself, which is really annoying [sad]

So nobody can find the solution to the overly complicated mystery. Good work Frontier. :p :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Apologies for quoting myself, but has anyone, apart from Allant, checked this out? Was anything found in this area?

5C is glitching terribly for me (POI not showing/falling into the planet etc), so I can't do much myself, which is really annoying [sad]

I didn't personally find anything but is is a huuge area. I think further exploration is a great idea. I am about to leave for work though so I won't be back to it until about 10pm

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

So nobody can find the solution to the overly complicated mystery. Good work Frontier. :p :rolleyes:

I am glad it is this difficult. Just because I'm not smart enough to solve it doesn't mean this isn't the right thing to do. SOMEBODY will solve it.

You are right, it's a voice with a voice changer applied, if we can somehow reverse that effect or atleast clear it up we will find out what it says. How was this sound found though, how can we reproduce it ourselves?

This is one of the files I downloaded from this thread. I noticed a funny sound towards the end of the file and starting working to clear it up and this is how far I manage to get.

I didn't personally find anything but is is a huuge area. I think further exploration is a great idea. I am about to leave for work though so I won't be back to it until about 10pm

I am glad it is this difficult. Just because I'm not smart enough to solve it doesn't mean this isn't the right thing to do. SOMEBODY will solve it.

Hear hear, I love a good challenge! I'm playing with the audio. Also would anybody like to develop theories involving the planet being some other system and not merope 5c? I was think pleione but it's just a guess. I think we need to organise a search of Merope 5c now, catalogue it and then we can eventually rule out if there is or isn't something more there. If we do that whilst we have other people looking at different theories then we may save some time, I seem to recall frontier saying that we have until 1st august to figure it out otherwise we are in trouble.

Thank you.

It is a huge area and even if my game wasn't playing up, it would take me forever to sweep every inch of the surface there on my own.

Hello CMDRs,
Here the begin of the sound slow downed by 50%

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wysz3oxwulmwfx8/Unknown Probe's EMP slow2.wav?dl=0

At the third second, we can here something like an "alarm", bip bip bip. It's make me feel something but I don't remember what is this sound from the game.

Also,
There have been many theories, more or less plausible, but I personnaly think that we should not look for the answer too far, too complicated. The answer is in the game! I think there are enough people able to do detailed searches if necessary.

Fly safe.

I think this is pertinent to claims of voices in the audio:
http://www.csicop.org/specialarticles/show/electronic_voice_phenomena_voices_of_the_dead
Perception is a very complex process, and when our brains try to find patterns, they are guided in part by what we expect to hear. If you are trying to hear your friend while conversing in a noisy room, your brain automatically takes snippets of sound and compares them against possible corresponding words, and guided by context, we can often “hear” more clearly than the sound patterns reaching our ears could account for. Indeed, it is relatively easy to demonstrate in a psychology laboratory that people can readily come to hear “clearly” even very muffled voices, so long as they have a printed version in front of them that tells them what words are being spoken. The brain puts together the visual cue and the auditory input, and we actually “hear” what we are informed is being said, even though without that information, we could discern nothing. Going one step further, and we can demonstrate that people can clearly “hear” voices and words not just in the context of muddled voices, but in a pattern of white noise, a pattern in which there are no voices or words at all.

I can totally understand hearing things in white noise but trust me this is something completely different. If you listen to the UP audio at around 17, 18 seconds you can hear the voice. It isn't white nose, it's a distinct voice and once you manipulate that section you can isolate that voice and hear distinct words. What the voice is saying and how it is going to help us is what we need to figure next. We need to clean up the voice more, and perhaps adjust some of it's attributes to make the voice more audible and coherent. I'm not hearing things that my brain wants to hear, or making something from white noise. There is something there. Listen to the whole UP audio and then to this and tell me that it is just in our heads....

I can totally understand hearing things in white noise but trust me this is something completely different. If you listen to the UP audio at around 17, 18 seconds you can hear the voice. It isn't white nose, it's a distinct voice and once you manipulate that section you can isolate that voice and hear distinct words. What the voice is saying and how it is going to help us is what we need to figure next. We need to clean up the voice more, and perhaps adjust some of it's attributes to make the voice more audible and coherent. I'm not hearing things that my brain wants to hear, or making something from white noise. There is something there. Listen to the whole UP audio and then to this and tell me that it is just in our heads....

I won't rule it out for good, but you can't claim it says distinct words if you don't know what it is saying for certain?

Distinct sounds that sound like words might not be words.

Ok, some more random thoughts; this time on Latitude and Longitude assuming that we're looking on Merope 5c for a location.

There are only a couple of ways to measure Latitude that make sense (from a pole or from the equator).
Perhaps the quarter circle is indicating an equator to pole measurement (the same way we do it).

However Longitude is completely arbitrary based on deciding what the Prime Meridian is going to be.
For us Greenwich won out because Britain was the dominant sea power when navigators figured out how to measure Longitude accurately.

Perhaps the radial line being at the angle of periapsis (one theory) is indicating that the prime meridian is at the longitude that faces Merope 5 (symbolized by the top right symbol with the two quarter 'rings').
I found the location closest to Merope 5 at -7.5, -117.5 yesterday - the latitude is expected to change during 5c's orbit due to axial tilt but we think the longitude should stay the same due to tidal locking.

That leaves us with the two angles at the bottom left to indicate a latitude and longitude measurement.

We can read the latitude the same way we do, from the equator down to one of the lines.
We can read the longitude the same way we do, from the meridian left to one of the lines, but then we need to make the -117.5 degree adjustment to get it into ED's coordinates.

All of this is complicated by ED's coordinates system being the wrong way around.
I'm also not entirely happy with this theory because I can't tell which line is which for latitude and longitude.

Anyway, this should suggest a whole bunch of coordinates to check if people can't think of anywhere else to look on Merope 5c.

Last edited:
There is a strange 'click / chkk' noise about two-thirds along that sound, which otherwise repeats? A signal on a loop?

It doesn't have to be white noise, it can be all sorts of sounds that cause it. Records played backwards for example. I've listened again, and honestly I think it's not a real voice.

I won't rule it out for good, but you can't claim it says distinct words if you don't know what it is saying for certain?

Distinct sounds that sound like words might not be words.

Because I'm not great with audio manipulation I can't get it any clearer. My best guess on the words I'm hearing are either "You'll get elite of these" or "You'll get eight of these". I want to say I'm positive on the "You'll", the "get" and "these" other than that I cant make out anymore.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom