UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The question comes to mind of whethet the aliens will show up in 2.2 beta, or only on release? Would it be ok with the non-beta community to not get experience with alien contact until the full 2.2 release?

The question comes to mind of whethet the aliens will show up in 2.2 beta, or only on release? Would it be ok with the non-beta community to not get experience with alien contact until the full 2.2 release?

I'd rather they wait until full release for that stuff.

It wouldn't surprise me if the aliens come in 2.2.1 and not vanilla 2.2 itself. I feel like there will be one last event or puzzle to solve and THEN they will show up.

This is pure speculation on my part though.

yeah, beta is just to test fighters and passenger missions etc. Since aliens are part of the storyline, they will come after release: either we find them, or they find us. can't wait :D

They "might" start unlocking some permit areas - well, anytime - hence my interest above - something to keep an eye out for as it could happen on the quiet.

yeah, beta is just to test fighters and passenger missions etc. Since aliens are part of the storyline, they will come after release: either we find them, or they find us. can't wait :D
Yeah, story will move on at some point after 2.2 release. Most likely when 2.2 post release issues ironed out (if there's any).

Why Thargoid hybrid? I'm sure the Thargoid fleet is expansive without the need for hybrids/intervention.

Imagine only ever fighting Vipers and then you see a Orca. ''No that can't be human, it's got different features.''

Thargoids are a hive mind they dont have the capacity for huge amounts of imagination in ship design.

They are also Bio Tech which means there means of transport grows and develops to suit its surroundings but this happens over millenia similar to most creatures.

They incorporate Tech but its a functional purpose based on need.

If they sprouted legs then its for a purpose but this would'nt happen over 150 years.

Its something new or a hybrid or deviant of the Thargoids.

Okay,. I know the forums have been modified to allow for this really big thread... But every time I open it on my computer, the entire system grinds to a halt for 5-10 minutes. Is it time to move yet?

Has it occurred to anyone that FD simply wanted to not have Thargoid ships as just octagonal, and something that looks a lot more alien?

David Braben mentioned a while back that he wants the aliens to look and feel alien....this ship certainly fits that bill.

This may not be Thargoid ships "evolving" but rather, FD fully realising the potential of a species that utilises organic technology.

That's what I think anyway.

My guess is that during the 2.2 beta it will mainly be about testing the fighters and what not, but I think FD will add some little things in the beta that people may find that hints towards aliens arriving very soon. If not it will stay until 2.2 is released then there may be a clue given, we then find it and after that is when the aliens arrive.

Few things:
You are correct that ECM is derived from Thargoid tech in Elite Lore, but that was actually from the original 84 Elite.
To the best of my knowledge there was never an expansion pack released for FFE. Actually, the release was surrounded by much controversy including it being released too early in a buggy state, a lot of the missions in game having to be cut off and a resulting lawsuit, but that is for another thread.

As for FFE ending, there was never much of a full scale war with the the Thargoid in FFE. In the original Elite there were 50 (I think) war zones around the galaxies written into the lore, although these were not actually in the game.
In FFE there were two endings. One where humans made "peace" with the Thargoids by giving the an antidote to the "Mycoid Virus" and one were we made them go away be infecting them with the "Mycoid virus", but no peace was made. From what MB has said, my understanding is that the latter is what is the case for Elite Dangerous. They went away and were largely forgotten by most of the population.

(Corrections to this are encouraged).

This is correct all skirmishes were in designated areas in FE.

In the original Elite they would attack you in witch space and same in Horizons.

There was a story line about the Mycoid virus in FE. You had a choice though.

I dont remember it being set in anyway i think fan fiction went in the direction of the cure probably from Oolite

Also FE was kind of the expansion to Frontier but at the same time kind of wasnt as the game dynamics were different.

Right now its hard to say what is included in lore in this game and what isn't. We do know that there was never a war or mycoid virus so I'd discount anything from FE as lore.

I think we cam presume the Thargoids are still Octagonal.due to the description in Reclemation.

Dark Wheel story is classed as Myth like a folk lore story.

I think we can take lots of stuff from all the games but not with regards to wars and story elements.

Id discount the Oolite books as well. Drew may include aspects if them but speculating on what will be difficult.

The game does need a decent history timeline update.

Just want to say, Rizal72, Great work. The Weekly Dive is awesome, and Is much easier on the eyes than watching the pages update on the forum. Looks Awesome! Hope you keep it up. I know it's a lot of work, but we appreciate it!

Not sure if anyone has said it, But The Hunt Would never have been solved if not for your hard work here. Every CMDR I ran into until the Wreckage was found, Referenced This thread as the only way to keep up.

o7 CMDR Rizal72

Thanks for your kind words CMDR, greatly appreciated!
However the Weekly Dive is not my bag of flour, I just found it and placed where it deserves ;)

Has it occurred to anyone that FD simply wanted to not have Thargoid ships as just octagonal, and something that looks a lot more alien?

David Braben mentioned a while back that he wants the aliens to look and feel alien....this ship certainly fits that bill.

This may not be Thargoid ships "evolving" but rather, FD fully realising the potential of a species that utilises organic technology.

Oh yes mate, it has occurred to me at least ;)

Possibly but sprouting kegs is a huge change. It may be that the legs curl up a d fold into an Octagonal shape. 2 legs 2 joints or 4 legs 2 joints.

This would enable it to curl up for flying and open up for walking on planets.

Maybe the Thargoids come from barnacles and thats their evolution, they then take off curl up and fly.

Possibly but sprouting kegs is a huge change. It may be that the legs curl up a d fold into an Octagonal shape. 2 legs 2 joints or 4 legs 2 joints.

Maybe the Thargoids come from barnacles and thats their evolution, they then take off curl up and fly.

Unless they're not legs...

So many possibilities haha

Dont be stupid. I dont think they would grow from barnacles. The idea of that its self is stupid.

With relation to the recent news about Salome, does this have any relevance? Shambhala and Svari. (Shambhala has an ammonia world)
http://imgur.com/xfSedC0

Hard to say until we find out who was arrested.

If its Salome then it has implications if its Emperors Dawn then it has others.

The Saline story seems to be the one going at the moment though. The remergence of Emperors Dawn would be inteesting though.

One thing is Certain Patreus is hiding lots and is up to something right now.

Is it Salome and CoR, Emperors Dawn or is it artifact related ??

Something has irked him anyway.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Dont be stupid. I dont think they would grow from barnacles. The idea of that its self is stupid.

Why ?? They grow from somewhere.....

If they have a chrysalis stage underground barnacles could be as a result of their growth. Meta Alloys could be the waste product from this growth.

They are an insectoid ammonia type of life, who knows how they are birthed.

Last edited:
Okay,. I know the forums have been modified to allow for this really big thread... But every time I open it on my computer, the entire system grinds to a halt for 5-10 minutes. Is it time to move yet?
I propose U clean up Ur system - i got an old lap, slow Inet and no issues at all

They are also supposed to be all female, they may be hermaphridite so they can inseminate their own eggs and lay them.

Maybe the mothers bury the eggs to be hatched.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom