UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Since it's a bit slower right now, I'm going to throw my theory into this thread. Please point out any obvious mistakes. And a word of warning: the longer the post goes on, the more tinfoil is involved.

To start off with: UPs.
If honked at, they deliver a signal that can be viewed as instructions on how to read the datastream. We have something similar with the Golden Voyager Disc, where the creator of the instructions is not the intended receiver of the information.
So whoever built them is probably trying to make contact with others, as it would be useless to add a key if you already know how to read the information.
Or FDev just wants to make sure that we understand the signal. But that would be a boring reason.

Next: UPs align themselves to Merope 5c and use it as a reference point. As we've not found anything special there yet, their alignment could just a hint: "Here's my reference point.". Alternatively, UPs align to Merope 5c because they need to know their position relative to it.
And now we up the tinfoil: Merope 5c is of importance to us, because we found the first barnacles there. It's not important to whoever built the Probes, but they know it's important to us. Which would mean that they can read our communications/Galnet.
How the barnacles, the UAs and the wreck fit in involves enough tinfoil to create an army of tin men, so I'll hold back on that until I get some feedback on this.

That's the important bit IMO. As players we always feel we are a one man army, and Elite: Dangerous just shows us this is not the case. When people play FFE, they feel they will change the fate of the world but after putting things into perspective, this "war" in FFE was just a tiny little skirmish as riz@l pointed out. For the Thargoids, it may well have been "hey girls, wanna have a look at what's over there? Let's send a tiny fraction and we'll see what's up". Are we sure the Mycoid virus eradicated ALL the Thargoids or only the scouting party that was sent? Was their "homeworld" truly their homeworld or just a bigger outpost?

Anyway, probably talking out of my Asp right now...

What happened in FFE was probably not even the little skirmish. It was just a handful of isolated encounters.

What is described as the Thargoid war, happened in the period from 3125 and a few years on. It consisted mainly of hyperspace interdiction, but also probably had a few set piece battles. All this happened on what at the time was the edge of the human bubble. We know this region as the Old Worlds (Lave cluster). The core worlds, probably had no contact with the Thargoids at all.

What happened in FFE was probably not even the little skirmish. It was just a handful of isolated encounters.

What is described as the Thargoid war, happened in the period from 3125 and a few years on. It consisted mainly of hyperspace interdiction, but also probably had a few set piece battles. All this happened on what at the time was the edge of the human bubble. We know this region as the Old Worlds (Lave cluster). The core worlds, probably had no contact with the Thargoids at all.

Thanks for your reply!

in the light that dillon is a liar
there is no sprograph sector with cj but there are 4 with jc in theire names
im currently checking out the nebula proper and then checking the 2 of those 4 systems with m classs stars for moons

Well, this is uncommon, not strange. Just uncommon. The Galnet hasn't posted anything for the last 2 days. Sunday is ok, almost nobody works on sundays :D, but today is monday :( Also, CG clues were always given the next day morning, yet no Granger clue has been reveived... Strange, strange indeed

Last edited:
I think the problem with perception of the Thargoid presence in the past is the use of the word 'War'.

When people here that word, in a sci-fi context, they imagine Star Wars or Warhammer 40k. Large scale, destructive, combative encounters for the fate of a galaxy.

The Thargoid 'War' is more akin to that time the SAS were sent to some country you don't know exists to fight a battle you didn't know happened to stop a leader you didn't know you didn't care about.

Looking good Riz.[up]

I suggest that you put in a little not next to the 'THE THARGOIDS - TRUTH AND FICTION' link, that you have to do a text search to find these articles.

Thanks. I should probably add a note that these journals couldn't be canon anymore, however...

Last edited:
I think the problem with perception of the Thargoid presence in the past is the use of the word 'War'.

When people here that word, in a sci-fi context, they imagine Star Wars or Warhammer 40k. Large scale, destructive, combative encounters for the fate of a galaxy.

The Thargoid 'War' is more akin to that time the SAS were sent to some country you don't know exists to fight a battle you didn't know happened to stop a leader you didn't know you didn't care about.

It's quite clear from 'The Thargoids' article that the conflict was not common knowledge in the bubble. The fact that Arvan Corto of the Imperial Navy describes the Thargoids as a myth, tells us that the authorities are covering up as best they can. Arvan Corto obviously knows all about the conflict and lies to hide INRA's involvement.

plus rep for you sir.

I tend to think about in much the same way. look at operation Barras or Khukri in RL for example. This was a huge deal for the ones involved, but remains largely unknown to the public, especially to those outside of the UK.
The galaxy is a vast expanse and even the human bubble is but a tiny sliver of it, though for the average citizen the bubble is a gigantic region. When an incident takes place the locals might well be wrought with fear, but to those say 50 or 100LY's away it's the far from my bed show.

This Granger dude sure is laid back with his clues. Its been days since the CG ended and no sign of the "meaningless" clue...
Maybe I should move out of the station and do some RL stuff.

plus rep for you sir.

I tend to think about in much the same way. look at operation Barras or Khukri in RL for example. This was a huge deal for the ones involved, but remains largely unknown to the public, especially to those outside of the UK.
The galaxy is a vast expanse and even the human bubble is but a tiny sliver of it, though for the average citizen the bubble is a gigantic region. When an incident takes place the locals might well be wrought with fear, but to those say 50 or 100LY's away it's the far from my bed show.

Not to mention that after the Thargoids entered a system there weren't any locals left.

This Granger dude sure is laid back with his clues. Its been days since the CG ended and no sign of the "meaningless" clue...
Maybe I should move out of the station and do some RL stuff.

I suspect there may be a bug with his clue as there is an earlier herald article in the station saying not enough Brandy was received and so we wouldn't be getting a clue, it may need intervention from FDEV to get his clue to appear

I suspect there may be a bug with his clue as there is an earlier herald article in the station saying not enough Brandy was received and so we wouldn't be getting a clue, it may need intervention from FDEV to get his clue to appear

I saw that news too lets hope something will appear this afternoon. Let them have lunch first!

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom