UAs, Barnacles and other mysteries Thread 8 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
As much as I understand Ur point, I am much more pi...ed (eh disgusted ) with the fact that my Ship this morning did blow up upon Autoland the second time in 5 weeks.
11 hours ticket and not even an answer :(
I think FD should fix the basics first before trying something special...

It's fixed in 2.2 (sorry for the spoiler).

Look yourself, your own emotional well being is your own responsibility not mine.

Expecting other people to do it for you makes you come across as someone who will only put effort in being disappointed so you can complain about it regardless of the outcome, and frankly a waste of my time even replying.

Whoa. Chill winston...

Let's have a look at what I said again...

Find me something from FD that actually says these will unequivocally replace the need for these sort of RP character events and I'll be quite happy.
Yeah sure, this is me asking you to find something for me, because...

Nothing I've read has suggested they're going to stop anytime soon though.
... I've already looked for the answer myself throughout the forums, beta notes etc.. and found nothing to suggest this is a complete replacement of FD's want/need to use live RP characters. So as far as I'm concerned, it's going to keep happening, and I think it's a bad move.

If you know something to the otherwise, how about showing that before trying to lambast me on the forums for being "lazy" for not looking for something that doesn't exist.

In addition to that, I've actually gone ahead and put some effort into explaining what's wrong with live RP characters in ED, and expressed my excitement with the new changes with some constructive feedback. So, I really don't get your personal attack on me. I physically can't play the beta right now as I'm away on a work trip for five weeks, which is annoying, but I got as much in as I could before I left. If you think I'm "just having a whinge", think again.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what the issue is with it being exclusive to Open, we already have content thats exclusive to those of us with Horizons, if we want this kind of content then why not make it in open sure there are some risks involved but from my point of view doing it this way makes things more interesting the chance you may be the first to find something rather than one of a mass of people all going for it at the same time any way who is to say that the person that bumps in to the actor cmdr wont share the info with others.

Jmains point is that the actor commanders are exclusive. Excusive to open and exclusive to those that are able to instance with the actor.

My issue isn't fundamentally with the fact that they're using RP characters in Open. FWIW I don't care whether the game is in Open or Solo, though I gladly use both modes where it's most advantageous (dons flamesuit :p ). As Han_Zen says, it's they're using RP characters in a multiplayer model that fundamentally doesn't work well.

EVE Online has used live RP characters in the past, and I'm cool with that because of several reasons;
- They are less time-bound than their use in ED, which seems to be for a day or less. An event may have an RP character hanging around for up to a week, or if it's only going to be a short period like a day, it's broadcast well in advance.
- Their technical multiplayer model guarantees you'll encounter them in that system. When I participated in The Hunt, when people were on here and saying there were literally dozens of pilots in the system, I only saw one random. This is on account of the fact the whole country of Australia has terrible Internet (god forbid any non-minority nation's ability)

It's a genuinely unreliable system. Now, I can get behind the idea of having a "first in best dressed" approach to content. But that's only a reasonable design choice if your MP model can technically guarantee accessibility to all participants. That is not possible in ED's peer-to-peer sharding model. So live RP characters are always a poor choice in ED.

Frankly, when MetaDrive first hit Galnet in the news looking for investors, I flew there straight away hoping for some Argent's Quest-style donation mission to invest in the company on the mission boards, but, nothing. Then a few more MetaDrive Galnet articles and nothing. Now this one, and bam, RP content available. A critical part of getting players involved in content is to "train" them like a monkey in a box who hears a dog bark, presses a red button and gets painfully zapped, or hears a cat meow, presses a red button and gets a treat. If you run a series of articles about a topic and don't tie anything to them, you'll start to assume there's going to be nothing tied to the articles. It's the same problem with Barnacles and POI circles; we get trained to look around POI circles for "interesting things", so Barnacles are completely counter-intuitive by making us look where (99% of the time) there's nothing to be found.

Don't get me wrong, I've heard the counter-arguments of "What's wrong with FD giving players who want to put the effort in to RP some content", to which the answer is nothing, but that content needs to be accessible (even to those groups who try to gatecrash this sort of thing with easy pewpew ganks). If it's not, it's either playing favourites with your players, or just poor game design. I prefer to think it's the latter, based on my understanding of the MP model ED uses. I do try to get involved, but I generally can't because:
- My timezone means people aren't online when I am
- My internet connection means peer-to-peer fails
- My interactions and attempts to try and generate content and interactivity generally aren't accepted. I'm 3/3 on not getting CGs in the game (first one was a UA CG which should've been achievable, but wasn't put in, was kinda understandable, other two have been fairly simple trade CGs. Given this was the bar for CGs at the time, I thought a CG for military goods in response to the Federal victory in the Pleiades would've been a goer) and sporadically get a galnet article accepted at local system level.

All things considered, my participation amounts to:
- Having a CG and player faction in the game
- Submitting CGs and Galnet articles (whether accepted or not, these take time and effort)
- Participate in CGs directly and indirectly (e.g Jacques UA bombing)
- Participated in the Hunt (although, thanks to timezones and the Open RP issues, most things were solved before I got a look-in)
- Participate in this particular forum with findings and other speculation; and
- Most importantly, regularly play the game (Except right now, as I'm OS and don't have the ability)

... so I'm not sure how much more I can "contribute" when I usually swear 15-20 hours a week into the game.

Last edited:
My issue isn't fundamentally with the fact that they're using RP characters in Open. FWIW I don't care whether the game is in Open or Solo, though I gladly use both modes where it's most advantageous (dons flamesuit :p ). As Han_Zen says, it's they're using RP characters in a multiplayer model that fundamentally doesn't work well.

EVE Online has used live RP characters in the past, and I'm cool with that because of several reasons;
- They are less time-bound than their use in ED, which seems to be for a day or less. An event may have an RP character hanging around for up to a week, or if it's only going to be a short period like a day, it's broadcast well in advance.
- Their technical multiplayer model guarantees you'll encounter them in that system. When I participated in The Hunt, when people were on here and saying there were literally dozens of pilots in the system, I only saw one random. This is on account of the fact the whole country of Australia has terrible Internet (god forbid any non-minority nation's ability)

It's a genuinely unreliable system. Now, I can get behind the idea of having a "first in best dressed" approach to content. But that's only a reasonable design choice if your MP model can technically guarantee accessibility to all participants. That is not possible in ED's peer-to-peer sharding model. So live RP characters are always a poor choice in ED.

Frankly, when MetaDrive first hit Galnet in the news looking for investors, I flew there straight away hoping for some Argent's Quest-style donation mission to invest in the company on the mission boards, but, nothing. Then a few more MetaDrive Galnet articles and nothing. Now this one, and bam, RP content available. A critical part of getting players involved in content is to "train" them like a monkey in a box who hears a dog bark, presses a red button and gets painfully zapped, or hears a cat meow, presses a red button and gets a treat. If you run a series of articles about a topic and don't tie anything to them, you'll start to assume there's going to be nothing tied to the articles. It's the same problem with Barnacles and POI circles; we get trained to look around POI circles for "interesting things", so Barnacles are completely counter-intuitive by making us look where (99% of the time) there's nothing to be found.

Don't get me wrong, I've heard the counter-arguments of "What's wrong with FD giving players who want to put the effort in to RP some content", to which the answer is nothing, but that content needs to be accessible (even to those groups who try to gatecrash this sort of thing with easy pewpew ganks). If it's not, it's either playing favourites with your players, or just poor game design. I prefer to think it's the latter, based on my understanding of the MP model ED uses. I do try to get involved, but I generally can't because:
- My timezone means people aren't online when I am
- My internet connection means peer-to-peer fails
- My interactions and attempts to try and generate content and interactivity generally aren't accepted. I'm 3/3 on not getting CGs in the game (first one was a UA CG which should've been achievable, but wasn't put in, was kinda understandable, other two have been fairly simple trade CGs. Given this was the bar for CGs at the time, I thought a CG for military goods in response to the Federal victory in the Pleiades would've been a goer) and sporadically get a galnet article accepted at local system level.

All things considered, my participation amounts to:
- Having a CG and player faction in the game
- Submitting CGs and Galnet articles (whether accepted or not, these take time and effort)
- Participate in CGs directly and indirectly (e.g Jacques UA bombing)
- Participated in the Hunt (although, thanks to timezones and the Open RP issues, most things were solved before I got a look-in)
- Participate in this particular forum with findings and other speculation; and
- Most importantly, regularly play the game (Except right now, as I'm OS and don't have the ability)

... so I'm not sure how much more I can "contribute" when I usually swear 15-20 hours a week into the game.

Well you could have put in a little effort, trying to crack the UA sound or something. :p

Well you could have put in a little effort, trying to crack the UA sound or something. :p

Funnily enough, where I am overseas right now is exactly the same place (and same hotel) I was in this time last year. And it was during that trip that I found the morse in my spare time (and was equally unable to do anything about it in-game :( )

Funnily enough, where I am overseas right now is exactly the same place (and same hotel) I was in this time last year. And it was during that trip that I found the morse in my spare time (and was equally unable to do anything about it in-game :( )

I wonder if FD would have given up on the 'coded sound' concept, if you hadn't found it back then? Game mysteries would have looked quite different, I imagine.

Two times you made a big difference in the game. The UA sound and Jaques. Not many players can say that. You should actually be quite happy. :D

waching CMDR Josh Hawkins stream and this came up
link cause of many pictures
http://imgur.com/a/raKMD
i tought posting it here might fire up something
interesting perspective of the alien ship

Kudos to the Cmdr who made it

It's a jellyfish
71af1f99e6741f9e5270f0388ecd192d.jpg

I shall call it Medusa. :)

I'm most impressed with the effort to reconcile what is seen in the teaser clip and the pieces of the wreckage. Detailing why each piece was put in each location makes this one of the more plausible concepts.

To be perfectly honest i think it has too many wings but other than that every piece is in place and looks plausable too

And i like it the most too its better than the ones on the front page

Last edited:
To be perfectly honest i think it has too many wings but other than that every piece is in place and looks plausable too

And i like it the most too its better than the ones on the front page

It's not very intimidating. It looks like a flower. I'm hoping for something a lot more menacing, although with the parts provided, it's hard to imagine.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom