UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Possibly unrelated, and hard to pinpoint with such large distances, but the Antares crash site in Luyten 205-128 seems to also line up.

The Sirius - Luyten 205-128 line, sort of points into nowhere. It would have been nice to know the jump range of the Antares to have an idea.

A few systems that line up ok:

- LTT7138 66ly
- Quang Gurus 97ly
- CF 17413 101ly
- Ombilia 102ly
- Zac Uaye 130ly

Probably somebody said it before me, but I coudn't read the whole thread. Just a question:

Did someone tried to put together a UA and a Barnacle? Do they talk each other (I mean, some kind of variation on the sounds thay both do)?

Thanks for all your hard work, I really love this thread (all of them)
:)

Yup ive done this and its a negative result, progress is made more with large scale meta data of actions rather than specific actions as ive been finding out

Probably somebody said it before me, but I coudn't read the whole thread. Just a question:

Did someone tried to put together a UA and a Barnacle? Do they talk each other (I mean, some kind of variation on the sounds thay both do)?

Thanks for all your hard work, I really love this thread (all of them)
:)

Been done a few times. No change.
What I think has not been done is putting an UA close to a Meta-Alloy seed, already fallen from its "tree".

Anyway I like your avatar picture, so free REP for you :D

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Maia CG > TIER 1, ACHIEVED!

bltYq6I.png

Been done a few times. No change.
What I think has not been done is putting an UA close to a Meta-Alloy seed, already fallen from its "tree".

Anyway I like your avatar picture, so free REP for you :D

I'm doing that today. I nabbed an UA yesterday and took it to the big crater on B3-2 2. Now I just need to spawn a barnacle.:D

I'm not expecting much to happen, be honest.

I'm doing that today. I nabbed an UA yesterday and took it to the big crater on B3-2 2. Now I just need to spawn a barnacle.:D

I'm not expecting much to happen, be honest.

Neither me. ;)
Anyway, I remember someone pointed out how big and noisy is the explosion of a Meta-Alloy seed: it is indeed!
The sound of the explosion echoes for some seconds! Try it!

Last edited:
Neither me. ;)
Anyway, I remember someone pointed out how big and noisy is the explosion of a Meta-Alloy seed: it is indeed!
The sound of the explosion echoes for some seconds! Try it!

I have of course tried that a long time ago. :p
I was hoping to get some materials out of it. I only got a big explosion.

Last edited:
Perhaps we need to go about the search in a different way. As I recall, UAs were found in a ring approx 150 Ly around Merope in the Pleiades. The UAs pointed directly towards Merope. Perhaps similar rings could be found around other Nebulae with the similar property of pointing towards a system where barnacles are located. It seems to be easier and quicker to locate UAs than searching planets from 2 Km.

Just a thought.

Has been tried, and is still being tried (by me as well as others). Trouble is :
1. Merope is not the center of the nebula, so which system in any given nebula should we use to find the 140ly sphere
2. What basis do we have for deciding that they would ALL have a similar radius. A bigger nebular might have a bigger radius
3. What makes you think the UA are pointing at the barnies on Merope 5C ? There are barnies in other systems that dont have UA pointing at them, and UA point to the Merope Star not at 5C

Search will continue (at least until my new laptop arrives and I have GPU that will allow landing), an absence of evidence does not lead to evidence of absence.

What we know about the barnacles...

- Barnacles seem to be an alien life form (artificially created or not), and not simply a biotechnological machine for extracting minerals because barnacles reproduce. While some people may argue that the increasing number of barnacle sightings is just a result of the increased number of explorers, who discovered barnacles that had not been found yet, this argument does not apply to the multiple barnacles found close to each other. It is hard to believe that the legions of explorers failed to find the additional barnacles close-by, when they were able to detect the first one. So I think it is widely agreed that barnacles grow and/or reproduce.

- As they reproduce, and we were able to see this reproduction within a few weeks, it is pretty unlikely that the barnacles' ultimate origin is in merope or anywhere in the pleiades. Otherwise the whole planet's surface would have been covered by these things. However, this does not rule out the possibility that they were created in a laboratory somewhere in the pleiades. This would match the theory that the anaconda wreck was the source of the first barnacle. The second plausible explanation would be that the first barnacle was an "infection" or has been seeded from another world far beyond the bubble. So for finding the barnacles' origin we either need to look for hints on a secret lab (see the recent galnet news) or a planet covered with barnacles, thargoids and the like.

- Since we are dealing with an alien life form that is by definition able to reproduce itself, we should focus our attention how they actually reproduce, because the prospects of finding the barnacles' origin by coincidental discovery are very poor. This is also closely related to the questions how fast they actually reproduce, and which environmental conditions are needed or which factors limit barnacle growth (others than farming explorers). Furthermore, answering these questions will give us an indication whether the barnacles are potentially dangerous. These things could evolve to a galaxy wide plague faster than you might think.

- Barnacles seem to be most common within mineral-rich regions and produce fruits or seeds that are mineral in nature. Therefore it seems straightforward that their metabolism is somewhat based on minerals. So I guess we should put the most effort on cultivating the barnacles seeds (MA's or UA's) with minerals either by dropping minerals close to them, bringing them to a mineral site or just by spreading them all over the place and watch if and where they grow. Unfortunally, we cannot completely rule out the possibility that there is no way to cultivate the barnacles. But this approach seems more compelling than random exploration and delivery of the MA's to a laboratory of questionable reputation.

Last edited:
Has been tried, and is still being tried (by me as well as others). Trouble is :
1. Merope is not the center of the nebula, so which system in any given nebula should we use to find the 140ly sphere
2. What basis do we have for deciding that they would ALL have a similar radius. A bigger nebular might have a bigger radius
3. What makes you think the UA are pointing at the barnies on Merope 5C ? There are barnies in other systems that dont have UA pointing at them, and UA point to the Merope Star not at 5C

Search will continue (at least until my new laptop arrives and I have GPU that will allow landing), an absence of evidence does not lead to evidence of absence.

Dam, your IT department is is slower than mine. How long have you waited now?

Dam, your IT department is is slower than mine. How long have you waited now?
Maintenance on my current laptop expired last March, so since then.
This is nothing, I put in a request to have SQL 2012 installed when it came out. Had to change that request to SQL 2014, and STILL waiting.

I hope the first and last server fixes will improve the barnacle spawn situation.

Server Side Fixes
- Fixed some metadata mismatches causing server errors.
- Fixed a server crash if a star system is being accessed while being deleted.
- Various server performance and reliability improvements

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Could be this one?

• Fix for network object ID exhaustion.

Could be. I suppose barnacles are network objects.

- Barnacles seem to be an alien life form (artificially created or not), and not simply a biotechnological machine for extracting minerals because barnacles reproduce. While some people may argue that the increasing number of barnacle sightings is just a result of the increased number of explorers, who discovered barnacles that had not been found yet, this argument does not apply to the multiple barnacles found close to each other. It is hard to believe that the legions of explorers failed to find the additional barnacles close-by, when they were able to detect the first one. So I think it is widely agreed that barnacles grow and/or reproduce.

- As they reproduce, and we were able to see this reproduction within a few weeks, it is pretty unlikely that the barnacles' ultimate origin is in merope or anywhere in the pleiades. Otherwise the whole planet's surface would have been covered by these things. However, this does not rule out the possibility that they were created in a laboratory somewhere in the pleiades. This would match the theory that the anaconda wreck was the source of the first barnacle. The second plausible explanation would be that the first barnacle was an "infection" or has been seeded from another world far beyond the bubble. So for finding the barnacles' origin we either need to look for hints on a secret lab (see the recent galnet news) or a planet covered with barnacles, thargoids and the like.

- Since we are dealing with an alien life form that is by definition able to reproduce itself, we should focus our attention how they actually reproduce, because the prospects of finding the barnacles' origin by coincidental discovery are very poor. This is also closely related to the questions how fast they actually reproduce, and which environmental conditions are needed or which factors limit barnacle growth (others than farming explorers). Furthermore, answering these questions will give us an indication whether the barnacles are potentially dangerous. These things could evolve to a galaxy wide plague faster than you might think.

- Barnacles seem to be most common within mineral-rich regions and produce fruits or seeds that are mineral in nature. Therefore it seems straightforward that their metabolism is somewhat based on minerals. So I guess we should put the most effort on cultivating the barnacles seeds (MA's or UA's) with minerals either by dropping minerals close to them, bringing them to a mineral site or just by spreading them all over the place and watch if and where they grow. Unfortunally, we cannot completely rule out the possibility that there is no way to cultivate the barnacles. But this approach seems more compelling than random exploration and delivery of the MA's to a laboratory of questionable reputation.

Thanks for a good summary.

I'm very interested in finding out if the Meta-Alloy seed is the 'fruit' that spreads barnacles or if it's a 'pollen' that fertilizes another barnacle. If the last option is correct, the UA may be the fertilized 'fruit'.

When it comes to metabolism in the environment the barnacles grows, I think we are looking for some form of photosynthesis. Light/radiation heat is more or less the only available energy source. Breaking down the metal compounds in minerals in to pure elements, requires a lot of energy.
It's also interesting to find out if they require a solvent for energy and particle transportation or if they can grow using electromagnetic processes in solid matter.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom