UAs, Barnacles & other mysteries Thread 7 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to highlight that in the Newsletter it is written:

"Previously Commanders have found barnacles on the planet surfaces, Unknown Artefacts and Probes floating in space, and strange goings on surrounding the Merope system."

Correct me if i'm wrong, but a free floating UP was not found, yet ???!!

So is that a hint or an error by the editor of the Newsletter ?

It's a know fact already since Sandro slipped up while talking to us live over Discord during the big 'Get'em UP hunt' event.
Or rather, intentionally I guess.
Evidence here: https://secure.twitch.tv/panzertard/v/78760858

Last edited:
@all contributors: what do you think of the likelihood that so-called 'wild' UP may exhibit alternate/complementary behaviour to that of the 'captive' UP we 'liberated' during "Operation: 'Get 'em'"?
The reasoning behind this question stems from the step-change in behaviours witnessed in liberated 'captive' UAs from Elite 1.2/3 and 'wild' UA in Elite 1.4.
We have been led to believe that 'wild' UP are already in-game right now.
Could it be that, with our research seemingly stalled at the moment, the 'clue' some are hoping might be forthcoming from the honourable Brookes, might in fact be available to us if we simply go look?
I would dearly like to know your thoughts on this 'angle'.
Either post in here or, in the interests of maintaining a 'straight line' on the thread, send me your thoughts via PM.
Thank you for your time.
o7

So, we have the keymaster and need the gatekeeper? :)

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

So I take it we all received today's newsletter and were all as intrigued by the words 'a key' being in green in the section that talks about the UP?

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/275616-Newsletter-134?p=4261869&viewfull=1#post4261869

Still curious if the probe's energy wave modifies our ships and grants them permits for a short period. Need to check that soon. We really need more UPs :(

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I think that's it. The UP doesn't disable your control overlay, it takes control of it. Bring it to the right system and it will force your ship to make a jump. It isn't an EMP, your modules still work and the force which is applied to your ship happens AFTER your controls get disabled. It's a failed jump attempt.

I know this is just another theory without any facts...

I'm not sure what's happening there is a misjump. Not discounting it though. I certainly hadn't thought of that but I like the line of thinking.

We've had FD tell us in the past that misjumps weren't part of the game. I wonder if they are still willing to make that claim.

Thanks for the response. I'm not going to go deep into it right now but a few bits

There are only two interpretations that I've seen. Aside from them being steps, I've also seen people interpret them as a description of a planet. Some people say it's describing the axial tilt, the rotation, etc. The reason I feel they're more likely to be steps is that they are numbered 1-4.

A description needs no sequence. If I'm describing a car to you, I could say "it's red, and has four doors" or I could say, "it has four doors, and is red" but there's no difference between those two descriptions. On the other hand, if I'm giving you a procedure, I must give the order. There's a difference between "loosen lug nuts and jack up car" and "jack up car and loosen the lug nuts."

Because they're numbered, I think the best interpretation is a sequence of steps. However, I freely admit that there are better, simpler ways to do this. If I was designing a message with the content that I've interpreted this message to be, I would have four separate icons. They fact that they're combined into one is, I admit, a problem for my interpretation. Also, the fact that step 1 is in the bottom left corner is a problem, although I do offer an explanation for that.

If it's steps detailing instructions, then yes the natural thing would be that it's intended to be understood, which does make me wonder if the series of steps idea really does make sense.

Note that you said, "also never represented" - that's mangling my argument a bit. My argument is that planets and the compass are represented, but are represented differently. In other words, I'm saying "it's not either of those things."

As to the crater, yes you're right, there is no wireframe representation of a crater in the game. But that doesn't disprove my theory, the way the wireframe representations of planets and the compass disprove those theories. All you can about the crater theory is that it's not proven. I feel confident in saying in saying the planet theory is disproven.

Couple of things on this. Firstly, my words were 'never represented in that way', and the 'in that way' part was important. Yes, it's true that craters are not really represented in any other way in the game, but there's also nothing really that points to the particular representation being a crater (and I gave at least one good reason why it probably isn't).

But anyway, it's true that it doesn't disprove your hypothesis.

However, it isn't true that the planet theory is disproven, by any stretch of the imagination. That dismisses a whole swathe of possible reasons why it looks different. If it is intended to represent something like a planet then I think it's probably doing so in a highly stylised way, just like the way that the Aricebo message contains contains a lot of stylised visual information:

circuloscultivos12_26.jpg

As yet, there's not really much reason to think this is or isn't something similar to that, so nothing has been disproven here and I don't think it's quite time to move on from the idea of this depicting a planet, or indeed anything else that might look slightly different in-game.

Ummm. Please forgive this post if someone has looked into and found nothing of interest or note .... insofar > I compared the spectrograph circular image with the image found on the barnacles and I am getting a feeling that somethings are matching. Also maybe try rotating both images and comparing / overlaying.
st
ps. hav been reeding this thread since #80's, also always checking the First page when I return every few hours.

EDIT ... sorry people Ive just noticed Kerrec's post on the same kinda thoughts.

Last edited:
i see your point, but they did choose KEY over let's say MAP.

Well a key could be anything. A map can also be the key to finding whatever the message is meant to be for. Everything can be the key to the next discovery. So using the word key doesn't really mean much in my opinion.
At least that's what I think. I wouldn't read too much into their words.

So, we have the keymaster and need the gatekeeper? ..... We really need more UPs :(
What we really need is a few wild free-floating UPs if only to discount the possibility of alternate or complementary behaviour.
Question: where would be the most likely place to find them?
The Pleiedes still? Elsewhere?

Has anyone considered the Radius is .75 seconds in the audio recording?

This of course implies C = 4.712, and that quarter-arc is then 1.17, and that (assumed) eighth-arc is .58.

5dmM9Im.png

From Frontier newsletter,

Presuming Frontier isn't going to mislead us, then we now know the probe image is a key of some sort.
If its a map key its telling us what the symbols mean... So the dot dashes relate to the symbols on the circle/egg

Dot line dot equals circumpherence ( maybe longitude)
Dot line line maybe latitude ? ( shows multiple longitude lines?)
Line dot dot.... Elevation
Dot dot line .... Radius????? (Maybe gravity)

Maybe this is a key to another set of Morse?

Last edited:
So far, it seems that everyone has been concentrating on the actual image of the circle and the binary code.

Its clear this Audio has more to it than just that.

Look at the three wave form spikes in this image, theres some sort of compression going on or something, why have such large audio spikes and have it contain no data, then the low middle wave form contains the actual image of the circle and binary?

I think we need to stop concentrating on trying to decode the image and decode the rest of the audio, nobody said it was more images, it could be binary audio....

Its clear theres more to this since the small pitch at the end of the audio, last 2 seconds, if sped up actually sounds like a honk from an Unknown Artifact...

To be honest, I've said it might be an image, several times; however I've also said I would expect to see some Morse or similar coded signal - to me with the obvious physical similarity of the UA & UP and the UA's Morse, it just doesn't make sense for it not to have any. But whatever the format I most definitely agree that there is likely to be more to be decoded from this signal.

Hmmm ....perhaps its not that complicated as we would love it to be.
First was using Morse !! Morse of all things !!!
Was thinking of really simple things and tried to overlay all of the quarters.
It did reminded me of something

it most likely nothing but did anyone checked the probe recently ?

Last edited:
It seems to kind of fit?

http://imgur.com/a/DVdKn

Ok, cold water time.

It's true that it does kinda fit but really, really kinda.

Once you take the fairly trivial fact that any pretty much circular thing is gonna fit inside another pretty much circular thing, the only interesting thing left in this image is that the curve does line up well with that bendy bit in the nebula on the upper left, sadly.

Nothing else matches well at all - the two lines in the lower left don't fit with the blob in the loop, and indeed, the single most prominent features of the loop, namely the big bulging bit on the right and the blob in the middle don't really seem to get any representation at all. So in the end all that lines up is a circle shape and a bit of a curve, which isn't too compelling.

But good job investigating and trying to line things up [heart]

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom