ugcArtifactNotFound?

Don't you just love it when you spend hours upon hours of hard work on a model/animation, making sure EVERY vertice has a weight of one, making sure it fits within the 8x8x8m boundary box, making sure all the textures are named right, making sure there was less than 8000 triangles, making sure that the bones are rotated and just the right size, and then get past the prebuild check, but as it's building, it decides "nope, here's an unexplained error for you!" and rips away that hope that finally you got the model right? I'm sure plenty of people here have gotten this error, but it seems that no one (at least that I've seen) is sure why or how exactly they got the error in the first place.

Has anyone had this error and figured out the problem, or am I screwed here? Because some of the weights on this model were a pain to get right, and I REALLY don't want to start from scratch. I heard it might be a texture error, but no one has explained how to fix it or if it even can be fixed. If it's multiple problems, a rundown of the possible problems would be nice so I can hopefully isolate what the problem is instead of starting from scratch.

As I recall that error is usually with a texture, and most often there is a file name that's wonky. I'd double check all your texture file names making sure they follow the examples shown on the TMTK user guide. It's happened to me before to0.

As I recall that error is usually with a texture, and most often there is a file name that's wonky. I'd double check all your texture file names making sure they follow the examples shown on the TMTK user guide. It's happened to me before to0.
What was the issue for yours? Which name was it?

Here is each shader/material, and I did check the names, checked the UVs, and made sure everything was the exact same way I did it for other models I've done.
Fedgun.PNG
Fedtrooper.PNG
FedtrooperVisor.PNG

And here's how the names look in my directory.
FedLayout.PNG

And even when deleting all of the png files from the material, I still get the error. I have no idea what to do at this point, and I kinda need this animatronic for a dark ride I'm working on.

I'm not positive, but it looks like you are using both a Specular (SP) with a Roughness (RN) texture?

Specular workflow cannot use the following:​

• Roughness (RN)
  • Metalness (MT)
I think instead you need to use a Smoothness (SM) texture which is the opposite of the Roughness (with SN the lighter the image the higher the shine/reflection) . Maybe try switching to a darker SM texture and see if the error message still crops up?

Specular workflow:​

• Specular (SP)
  • Smoothness (SM)

I am, which has worked on other models for whatever reason. It's mostly to remove the shine that is added in Planet Coaster for whatever reason. That's how I was told to do it. But I'll try. Dunno what exactly to link the smoothness mask to though.

While I don't create anything complex, I always use the smoothness (SM) mask myself, which removes the shine the game engine creates as you said..

I would suggest just replacing the fedgun_RN with a new fedgun.SM file, same with the the other two instances where you used a RN mask, just changing the mask from being nearly all white to being nearly all black. You shouldn't have to change anything else I think and can just zip everything up and try importing it into the Editor again.

You are doing it very differently than I do it seems.

In Blender I only assign the BC textures and nothing else. Modifiers to the workflow have nothing to do with Blender for things I make, they are just included in the zip folder and the TMTK Editor assigns then to the BC textures. I'm not a modeller, nor do I use Blender much (I'm still using 2.79), but I would only assign the three BC textures in Blender, then include the EM and SP versions in the zip along with new SM files replacing the RN files you have currently.

So for instance you'd have fedgun_BC.png, fedgun_EM.png, fedgun_SP.png and also fedgun_SM.png
Then fedtrooper_BC.png, fedtrooper_EM.png, fedtrooper_SP.png and then fedtrooper_SM.png
And fedtroopervisor_BC.png, fedtrooper_EM.png, fedtrooper_SP.png and fedtrooper_SM.png
All zipped up with your fbx file and the icon.

I'll not guarantee how I do it will work for you, you have a much more complex model with a newer version of Blender, but I'm thinking the basic requirments of the TMTK Editor should be the same... Sorry it's not working yet!

You are doing it very differently than I do it seems.

In Blender I only assign the BC textures and nothing else. Modifiers to the workflow have nothing to do with Blender for things I make, they are just included in the zip folder and the TMTK Editor assigns then to the BC textures. I'm not a modeller, nor do I use Blender much (I'm still using 2.79), but I would only assign the three BC textures in Blender, then include the EM and SP versions in the zip along with new SM files replacing the RN files you have currently.

So for instance you'd have fedgun_BC.png, fedgun_EM.png, fedgun_SP.png and also fedgun_SM.png
Then fedtrooper_BC.png, fedtrooper_EM.png, fedtrooper_SP.png and then fedtrooper_SM.png
And fedtroopervisor_BC.png, fedtrooper_EM.png, fedtrooper_SP.png and fedtrooper_SM.png
All zipped up with your fbx file and the icon.

I'll not guarantee how I do it will work for you, you have a much more complex model with a newer version of Blender, but I'm thinking the basic requirments of the TMTK Editor should be the same... Sorry it's not working yet!
Yep, still got the same error. I think it might be the fbx or the material itself, but I dunno why.

Hmmmm, strange, huh? Sorry it's not working yet. I still don't think it's your model but has something to do with the textures or the fbx as you said.

You might try opening a support ticket if you haven't already?

I'd offer to try exporting it myself for you to see if that works, but since I use an older version of Blender it likely wouldn't. If you haven't already you might try posting your problem on the game's forum on Steam or also on the Planet Coaster Reddit as there seems to be more people there than here now days. Hope you can get it figured out!

Yep, still got the same error. I think it might be the fbx or the material itself, but I dunno why.
As far as i am aware, TMTK only reads the material name from the fbx, the node setup is completely irrelevant (as can be seen when reimporting the fbx file into blender). Therefore i'm 95% positive that the Blender material setup could not possibly be the problem. If the material names were wrong, the object would just be solid white ingame, but that issue causes no error (had made that typo a couple of times myself).

Two things you can try:
  1. Create a quick dummy object (default cube is fine), set the same material name as for your original object and try uploading that together with your texture files. If the upload succeeds, you know the problem is your model. If it fails, you know your problem are the texture files.
  2. Provide your model/texture here so we can actually inspect the files. You may not be comfortable with sharing your original files, which is understandable. But you could e.g. collapse your 3D model and distort the textures (e. g. with a heavy blur filter) before uploading so noone gets access to your original work. And/Or share in private chat with me or Wagi.

As far as i am aware, TMTK only reads the material name from the fbx, the node setup is completely irrelevant (as can be seen when reimporting the fbx file into blender). Therefore i'm 95% positive that the Blender material setup could not possibly be the problem. If the material names were wrong, the object would just be solid white ingame, but that issue causes no error (had made that typo a couple of times myself).

Two things you can try:
  1. Create a quick dummy object (default cube is fine), set the same material name as for your original object and try uploading that together with your texture files. If the upload succeeds, you know the problem is your model. If it fails, you know your problem are the texture files.
  2. Provide your model/texture here so we can actually inspect the files. You may not be comfortable with sharing your original files, which is understandable. But you could e.g. collapse your 3D model and distort the textures (e. g. with a heavy blur filter) before uploading so noone gets access to your original work. And/Or share in private chat with me or Wagi.
By all means, go nuts. It's not really an original model, I got it from the modelers resource. It's a federation trooper from Metroid Prime 2. I just edited it to have the right number of bones and weight painting. Plus if someone else uploads it, it's not really a huge deal since I was planning on putting it on the workshop anyway. I just want to be able to use it in-game for my Nintendo themed park. I dunno why the same thing didn't happen when I ported Ridley.

Since I don't have a current version of Blender, I'll pass and let Gohax take a look at the Blender files if he cares to.

Don't mean to butt in, but I downloaded the zip file and I noticed that the textures in your fedgun material are all different resolutions. Not sure, but I thought I read something in the TMTK guide that said all the textures for a material need to be the same resolution (or, at least, I understood it that way. But now that I think about it, that may have applied to the flexicolor maps).
Anyway, try making the textures in fedgun the same size, and if it doesn't work, forget I said anything. :)

Oh, and also, you need to delete the camera and light from the blend file before you export to fbx.

Last edited:
Don't mean to butt in, but I downloaded the zip file and I noticed that the textures in your fedgun material are all different resolutions. Not sure, but I thought I read something in the TMTK guide that said all the textures for a material need to be the same resolution (or, at least, I understood it that way. But now that I think about it, that may have applied to the flexicolor maps) [...]
A valid observation. It might be best practise to always keep all maps at the same resolution within a set. But i think TMTK supports different sized maps. I also did this from time to time to keep down filesize (yet TMTK seems to pretty much destroy compression anyways, it regularly blows up 1MB upload to 16MB or more if the resolution is high). Also, OP might want to make the icon.png into a square format.
Oh, and also, you need to delete the camera and light from the blend file before you export to fbx.
Blender gives you the option to leave these out in its export dialog. In my experience, there's no harm in having them in the FBX though.

I experimented a bit on OPs .blend file and came to this observation:
  • Doing anything to the textures/materials doesn't appear to fix the issue. Even not uploading the textures at all doesn't get rid of the error
  • TMTK conversion succeeds when deleting the armature before export

I could not yet determine how to fix this, at first glance the armature and the keying seems fine. It seems we have to look more closely at the armature for now, however, i can image some weird side effect which causes the error which usually is caused by texture issues to be only present for animated objects. It's a shame we only got this blackbox builder without descriptive error messages for anything but the most common errors.

A valid observation. It might be best practise to always keep all maps at the same resolution within a set. But i think TMTK supports different sized maps. I also did this from time to time to keep down filesize (yet TMTK seems to pretty much destroy compression anyways, it regularly blows up 1MB upload to 16MB or more if the resolution is high). Also, OP might want to make the icon.png into a square format.

Blender gives you the option to leave these out in its export dialog. In my experience, there's no harm in having them in the FBX though.

I experimented a bit on OPs .blend file and came to this observation:
  • Doing anything to the textures/materials doesn't appear to fix the issue. Even not uploading the textures at all doesn't get rid of the error
  • TMTK conversion succeeds when deleting the armature before export

I could not yet determine how to fix this, at first glance the armature and the keying seems fine. It seems we have to look more closely at the armature for now, however, i can image some weird side effect which causes the error which usually is caused by texture issues to be only present for animated objects. It's a shame we only got this blackbox builder without descriptive error messages for anything but the most common errors.
The reason I say delete the camera and light is because, IIRC, leaving one or both in the file has given me errors in the past, and it's dead easy to forget to deselect them in the export options (unless you make a preset), so it's just easier to delete them since they're not even needed anyway.

As for the textures, it was probably nitpicky for me to mention it since it may not matter for simple textures, but I've found TMTK can be pretty nitpicky itself, so I thought making the one material's maps all the same size was something worth trying. -shrugs-

As for the textures, it was probably nitpicky for me to mention it since it may not matter for simple textures, but I've found TMTK can be pretty nitpicky itself, so I thought making the one material's maps all the same size was something worth trying. -shrugs-
I did not at all intend to devaluate your suggestions. I actually tried if the things you suggested would fix the issue. From my former experience i just guessed it would not (and i've been right this time), but as the TMTK converter is just a black box, you might never know if things like varying texture sizes might not cause problems in certain edge cases - so it's always worth trying things like this.

As for the armature itself, i don't really have time to try more things at the moment. As previously stated, if there are errors in the armature setup and/or the animation itself, they are not obvious (at least not to me). It's weird that deleting the armature fixes an error which is usually traced back to invalid texture setups.

Top Bottom