Ships Un-engineered Eagle

Just started another account and I'll be a bounty hunter this time around.
Just D-rated an Eagle in the Noobula. Any suggestions to max it out would be appreciated.

o7 cmdrs
👨‍🚀

If I had to fly a stock Eagle MK II, I'd probably build something like this.

Rails hit fairly hard even stock, and I'd argue they're one of the best things you can possibly put in a small hardpoint. Coriolis doesn't have advanced missile racks as an option, but they hold like 64 missiles, much more than the tiny ammo count on the size 1 dumbfire rack.

You could always swap out the weapons for others you prefer, and maybe try mirrored bulkheads. NPCs love their thermal weapons.

I tried unengineered C1 Frags a long time ago.

The best thing I can compare them to would be those little confetti poppers that you can buy around New Years.

I found out the hard way an un-engineered Eagle is very fragile and can't take any punishment at all.
So it is best to let the space police do their job and tickle the criminal with a burst laser to claim the bounty.

Last edited:
When this topic was first posted I wrote a post about how I would not recommend this, how this was a death trap of the first order. An unengineered Eagle is blown up in a single burst from any capable ship. The post was full of equal parts doom and gloom. Matter of fact I just had to clear it to write this post. But I opted not to actually submit it because who am I to drop rain on your enthusiasm? But yeah, it's a death trap.

But! There are those of us who love small-ship combat. The problem is without engineering, there just isn't enough defense capability to ensure survivability in the current Elite paradigm. Especially in the Eagle. A Courier could be a different prospect if it has any appeal. But even there, engineering will make a world of difference in terms of integrity, shields and speed. I have a battle Courier, but I'm not sure how well she'd do with no engineering frankly.

I also own a iEagle. It's engineered too of course, built to run ludicrous speed and I use it as a wake scanner, zipping at 820 m/s to scan the next one. I don't however, use it for combat, and it's not armed.

I found out the hard way an engineered Eagle is very fragile and can't take any punishment at all.
So it is best to let the space police do their job and tickle the criminal with a burst laser to claim the bounty.
If you have ventured out beyond the Noobula (nice term) then what you might want to try is a better version of the Eagle. The Empire builds one, with a bit more hull, a bit more speed and 1XMed +2xSmall instead of 3xSmall hardpoints, I believe its also pretty useless.

Or you could go the whole hog and go for double the armour, way better shields, 3x Mediums and almost as much speed with an Imperial Courier, but that's probably a different Thread.

You'd be better off with a Sidewinder than an Eagle for bounty farming. For some reason the NPCs won't shoot a Sidewinder as long as the police are engaged with them. Also, a SW can use chaff, which is fairly important against NPCs. The best progression is Sidewinder - DBS - Vulture - FDL.

Ok, that's funny. Points for calling it that!
Can't take any credits for that I'm afraid.
You'd be better off with a Sidewinder than an Eagle for bounty farming. For some reason the NPCs won't shoot a Sidewinder as long as the police are engaged with them. Also, a SW can use chaff, which is fairly important against NPCs. The best progression is Sidewinder - DBS - Vulture - FDL.
Well, it's more of a role playing account so I'll go Sidey > Eagle > Viper Mk III.
Never considered the DBS, so thanks for suggesting that.
The Viper can survive a hit. At least it can limp back to base and not expose the pilot to the cold vacuum immediately.

Top Bottom