UNable to set lateral thrust/alternate control on Xbox controller

Hey all

I'm fairly new to the game and BOY HOWDY is there a lot to take in.

I'm trying to set up my alternate control scheme with lateral thrust (left and right) so that I can use it when docking. On my normal setup, I have the left stick for up/down thrust and left-right yaw. On the right stick I have pitch up/down and roll left/right.

I have gone into controls and in the alternative scheme have the right stick exactly the same, and the left stick I have replaced left/right yaw with left/right lateral horizontal thrust, so that I can finesse the landings.

However, when I go back into the game, and swap to my alternate control scheme, the left stick still gives me left/right yaw. No matter what I do, I cannot get horizontal left/right thrust.

Can anyone help me with what I am doing wrong? I am loving the game, but landing on outer landing pads is a right pain with only pitch, thrust and yaw.

Last edited:
Normally you use the left stick click to swap the function of the right stick...

Right Stick: Thrust up/down and Yaw

Click left stick and the right stick changes to;

Right Stick: Thrust up/down and Left/Right lateral thrust

as you have swapped the left and right sticks you need to make sure when you click <something> the left stick changes, like the right stick does in the normal setup.

Yes, that's what I am trying to do - switch from the standard controls to the alternate controls when landing, but when I switch to alternate controls, the left stick still has yaw and not lateral thrust, as it does in the standard control scheme - even though in the settings, it shows lateral thrust being set for that stick in the alternative mode. I get the onscreen notification that alt controls are active, but it refuses to change the action from yaw to thrust. It's quite frustrating.

EDIT I replied a little later after trying this, see below)

Last edited:
Wait, so...if I understand you correctly, as I have yaw and thrust on the left stick, then what I would need to do is change the toggle for regular/alternative control schemes to a right stick click? And therefore I assume change headlook to the left stick? I think? Did I get that right?

have you double checked that you have the custom controller binding set and not the default one, it can be a fickle blyat

have you double checked that you have the custom controller binding set and not the default one, it can be a fickle blyat

Yup, set to custom.

Normally you use the left stick click to swap the function of the right stick...

Right Stick: Thrust up/down and Yaw

Click left stick and the right stick changes to;

Right Stick: Thrust up/down and Left/Right lateral thrust

as you have swapped the left and right sticks you need to make sure when you click <something> the left stick changes, like the right stick does in the normal setup.

Following my last reply, tried setting the right stick to activate alt controls, but that made no difference, I still get yaw on the left stick instead of lateral. It really is getting quite frustrating :)

Inverted. Change that

Can you clarify what you mean? I tried setting the individual settings in the alt scheme to inverted, but all that does is swap left/right to right/left dorections, it does not change yaw to thrust. My alt settings clearly show the left/right direction of the left stick set to lateral thrust, but it refuses to do anything other than yaw.

Can you take a screenshot of your bindings and post them?

Here you go:

09-03-2018_12-23-39.png

09-03-2018_12-23-29-1.png

Last edited:
Clicking the left stick changes the function of the RIGHT stick, if your right stick is head looking click the right stick for thruster functions

in Classic and default anyway. Switch back to one of those, then re-custom your controls as you need

Last edited:
Last edited:
the yaw/roll button mode have you tried changing that to toggle? not sure if it'll work as it's blank on my control scheme

Didn't make any difference, but then again I have no real idea what yaw/roll does so I have it turned off.

Clicking the left stick changes the function of the RIGHT stick, if your right stick is head looking click the right stick for thruster functions

in Classic and default anyway. Switch back to one of those, then re-custom your controls as you need

Sorry if I am sounding a bit dim, that is really confusing me. I tried changing the alt control toggle to a right stick click, and then setting the lateral thrust to the left stick in the alt scheme, but all it did was give me roll on the left stick, which I hadn't even asked for! I think this may defeat me :(

Yaw in roll just means that your flight control computer will apply the ships rudder for you during a roll, not entirely sure what the desired outcome is for it

You are confusing yourself. Leave in default or classic. Once you do that:

clicking down your left stick will enable up, down, left and right thrusters ON THE RIGHT STICK or enabling thrusters to rotate your ship on the spot (lateral I think) but the left stick click just changes the flight controls of the right stick out of head look.

id advise stop custom setting at the moment, learn what you actually need to change before messing with your standard controls.

i still run classic with nay bother.

^never mind that just saw there's no button bound to it so the mode wont matter a jot, is the alternate flight control button set to toggle and not hold though?

I am not sure, I don't see where I would check or change that setting? When I click the left stick, I get the notification on the HUD that alt controls are being activated.

Man, this whole thing is making me feel exceptionally dumb ^_^

I am not sure, I don't see where I would check or change that setting? When I click the left stick, I get the notification on the HUD that alt controls are being activated.

once the penny drops, you won't ever have a problem landing your ship again.

but I can't explain it any simpler than my last post

in options where it says alternate control toggle highlight it and push y to expand the menu

Top Bottom