Undermining a target faction's influence

Take missions - ideally ones with short deadlines - and let them timeout. Will end up with you hostile and unable to continue doing it, though, unless you have some way to counter that which doesn't just give them the influence back too ... and of course leaves you fewer slots to take missions for factions you like.

Running certain missions against them can do it - deliver them bulk protestors or rebels (not the VIP versions!), or run space (not surface...) salvage missions against them.

If you can line them up into a war in another system, then that cuts off most of their sources of influence gain - an unattended faction can lose a lot of influence as the others expand.

Just back every other faction in the system
Well, I was trying to push one faction up at the same time. I'm starting to reach that level where its requiring more mission effort to move that faction up, which is normally where I'll start to incorporate a little undermining to speed things up. unfortunately, the system has no black market, the controlling faction has all the ports so I don't really want to resort to murder and risk closing the mission boards in a lockdown scenario, according to pollycough above negative profit trading is out, that really just leaves those rare mission scenarios that Ian listed above which I'll guess are not going to be reliable to find.

Well, I was trying to push one faction up at the same time. I'm starting to reach that level where its requiring more mission effort to move that faction up, which is normally where I'll start to incorporate a little undermining to speed things up. unfortunately, the system has no black market, the controlling faction has all the ports so I don't really want to resort to murder and risk closing the mission boards in a lockdown scenario, according to pollycough above negative profit trading is out, that really just leaves those rare mission scenarios that Ian listed above which I'll guess are not going to be reliable to find.

Ah in that case backing all other factions was not a good idea! :D

Ah in that case backing all other factions was not a good idea! :D

I am not going to claim that I am an expert because I know I am not. But carefully backing the other factions might be a tool to help.

Let me state my understanding of the OP's goal to make sure we are all reading from the same page. OP wants to boost Favorite Faction (FF) influence to match Controlling Faction (CF) influence to start a war. OP has boosted FF influence significantly already, making missions less effective in closing the gap with CF. At this point I would expect that there is a big influence gap between FF and the Other Factions (call them OF, OF2 & OF3). Backing other factions will reduce the influence of both CF and FF.

I think running missions for the other factions can help FF get in a war with CF.

Any influence gained by OF will come from all the other factions with most of it coming from CF and FF. Because CF has more influence than FF more will come from it thus closing the gap slightly. Doing missions for FF will restore the influence lost by the OF mission. The loss of FF influence might also put it in a zone where missions are more effective.

Care is required because trying to lower CF influence by boosting other factions when FF has less than 10% more influence than the next highest faction risks getting FF in a useless war.

The effect of boosting other factions when the gap between CF and FF is less than 10% is probably trivial.

Even if it is not much help, I think I would prefer taking missions from the other factions also just for more credits and options for game play fun.

I am not going to claim that I am an expert because I know I am not. But carefully backing the other factions might be a tool to help.

Let me state my understanding of the OP's goal to make sure we are all reading from the same page. OP wants to boost Favorite Faction (FF) influence to match Controlling Faction (CF) influence to start a war. OP has boosted FF influence significantly already, making missions less effective in closing the gap with CF. At this point I would expect that there is a big influence gap between FF and the Other Factions (call them OF, OF2 & OF3). Backing other factions will reduce the influence of both CF and FF.

I think running missions for the other factions can help FF get in a war with CF.

Any influence gained by OF will come from all the other factions with most of it coming from CF and FF. Because CF has more influence than FF more will come from it thus closing the gap slightly. Doing missions for FF will restore the influence lost by the OF mission. The loss of FF influence might also put it in a zone where missions are more effective.

Care is required because trying to lower CF influence by boosting other factions when FF has less than 10% more influence than the next highest faction risks getting FF in a useless war.

The effect of boosting other factions when the gap between CF and FF is less than 10% is probably trivial.

Even if it is not much help, I think I would prefer taking missions from the other factions also just for more credits and options for game play fun.
Actually I'm trying to flip the system, so I'm trying to reach the requisite 60%.

I think Ian's suggestion of using a controlled war may work best in my favor. At the least, it would keep them out of boom till I'm ready to shrug off their war state.

Actually I'm trying to flip the system, so I'm trying to reach the requisite 60%.

I think Ian's suggestion of using a controlled war may work best in my favor. At the least, it would keep them out of boom till I'm ready to shrug off their war state.

Just run the requisite missions for the faction you support until it hits 60%. May take a couple days to push it high enough depending on the system population but it's doable.

As a side note, it IS possible to trigger the war you are looking for by matching system influences between the two factions, but it's much harder to do IMHO.

Sounds like you are past where my thoughts would help. Good Luck!

Just run the requisite missions for the faction you support until it hits 60%. May take a couple days to push it high enough depending on the system population but it's doable.

As a side note, it IS possible to trigger the war you are looking for by matching system influences between the two factions, but it's much harder to do IMHO.
I though those wars didn't result in regime change though, just an asset changes hands if the controlling faction loses but they retain control of the system.

I though those wars didn't result in regime change though, just an asset changes hands if the controlling faction loses but they retain control of the system.

If the controlling faction gets into a conflict and loses, it loses the orbital asset closest to the star, and control of the system. At least, that has been my experience. Haven't done it since 3.0, so anything is possible.

Failing missions has not that much effect. Just retested it recently, 7 failed +++++ missions produced -2% in a 150M system. Considering that now every failed missions also negatively affect you with the destination faction, I think it's not really worth it unless already at very low influence - i.e. to ensure that a retreat goes through.

+60% (coup) will win the system and the controlling station

If the controlling faction gets into a conflict and loses, it loses the orbital asset closest to the star, and control of the system. At least, that has been my experience. Haven't done it since 3.0, so anything is possible.
Nothing changed.

+60% (coup) will win the system and the controlling station
That is just one way to start a conflict, not the only way to assume control.

You meerely need to start a conflict with the controlling faction and win to gain control of the system.

You do that by either matching influence, or not be the controlling faction but holding over 60% influence int he system to demand one.

Nothing changed.

Did the conflict result in a clear win? Some conflicts time out and do not have a clear victor so nothing changes.

Its 5% for Wars and 3% for Civil Wars and Elections - but its gotta be that gap the day before the last day of the conflict.

It can time out, then on the last day be with enough of a gap then go into recovery but nothing will change because the conflict was already decided.

If you want to get your hands dirty and have the ship, you can also do murder. It will get you high notoriety, but if you have a ship primarily for murder then you can avoid the consequences as long as you don't use that hot ship for anything else. The drawback is though that if you are facing a rival player group, they can track down your movements and activities by using the bounty board. But yeah, if they have a black market then smuggling will do it too.

Top Bottom