Unengineered AFK build

iCMKra3h.jpg

Is grinding the fun and challenge of ED? There are some good things in this game, but the grind certainly isn't part of them. The best way to experience ED is to minimize the grind as best as you can, and when you run out of things that aren't grind, move on.
Ultimately everyone is of course entitled to their vision of what is fun, but I would still posit that shooting spaceships and hauling cargo aren't a means to an end, they're the core of the game. Wanting to 'skip' that part is weird to me, since credits don't open up new gameplay options. I kind of doubt the game will be more fun once the grind is over, you'll do the same things, but more and faster in a bigger ship.

Heres the build that you will need and prepare to cash out 800mil this will include several rebuys
Ship: Type 10
1. All weapon slots are pulse laser turrets
2. Get the toughest armor in the market(if you buy it in Jameson memorial costs around 485m ish)
3. All core internal slots should be max tier A Grade modules
4. All of your utility slots should be Shield boosters except for 3, 4 ,5 which will be point defense
4. Optional internal should at least have Max tier A or C grade Shield Generator, fighter hangar bay and 8 ton cargo bay, the rest could either be shield or hull reinforcement and at least 2 module reinforcement. Use the fighter with Beam laser and heatsink
5. Hire the highest rank pilot and dismiss the said pilot before handing over the mission

Feel free to experiement on the optionals at will,
I will also assume you also have a system already and the relationship/influence/reputation need for it

They do, though. Thargoids, PvP, everything you can do with fleet carriers, and even just it not taking forever to travel to interesting locations all are behind a grind wall. All the good parts of the game are locked by grind.
None of those things are gated by credits if you can already afford an AFK build. Rebuys maybe, but a decent PvP ship should still only set you back 5 million per death.

Materials can be difficult to pick up, but you're not getting those this way either, same with guardian stuff. Fleet carriers are useful but not exactly game changing. It's been over a month since I docked on mine because I've been elsewhere. I'd accept the argument that they're not worth 5 billion, but I'm not setting the prices and when you do have that amount of credits there's nothing else to spend it on.

Last edited:
Fleet carriers are useful but not exactly game changing.
There's nothing that's been more game-changing than fleet carriers, for better or worse. They're also a constant credit drain, up to 1.4B/yr. I wandered off around June when it was clear nothing was going to happen in ED until JWE2 released and that meant farming credits when I got back. I hate farming credits and mats and I try to do it as effortlessly as possible. I'm sure we'll need a lot of credits for the Panther LX and base building some day and I'm not sitting on tens of billions from Borann.

But, it's the same situation for mats, I just want that garbage done as quickly and efficiently as possible as there's nothing fun or good about the grind, it's spiritual opium.

I get that this can be an interesting intellectual and in-game challenge, build something that can survive hostiles with no player present - or at least not actively flying the ship, perhaps watching Youtube or something. However, does it really work? I mean, I've seen numerous builds people have shared for this role, many of which include Shield Cell Batteries (erm, you ain't there!) which puzzled me somewhat. I suspect they're not AFK but close-by, half watching the proceedings.

So, if it's fun for you, go for it. However, does it really work? I mean, I've been hanging out in a Low Res (aka super easy foes) lately in a well-shielded Cutter with Pulse Turrets. I was actually flying the ship and responding to enemies yet even the really low-level foes gradually overwhelmed my shield, despite lots of shield health and high resistances. On paper this ship looks like a really decent "AFK build" and is actually tougher than many builds I've seen posted. However, despite this, enemies did gradually overwhelm me. I got to 3% shield and fled, finally jumping away at 1% shield. It was fun, cos I was actually playing - gathering materials for the most part. If I'd AFK'd this build, it'd be dead now.

In my recent experience, I'd just scooped up one unit of Cargo, yet had at one point fifteen plus Pirates attacking me. They were generally only Eagles, Adders and the odd Viper and Cobra Mk III, all very low ranked - Competent being the highest I saw - yet they whittle away at my shields. Other times I've had FDL's, Pythons and Anacondas, equally low-ranked, but somewhat tougher ships.

Interesting concept this AFK build and perhaps it can work. However, with instances being very random in regards to how many, what level and what type and load-out of ship you might see, survival is far from guaranteed.

I'd say this is perhaps interesting for low-attention play, say the player is just farming Credits or materials from destroyed ships. Full AFK though? Too high a risk of being greeted by a rebuy screen when you return. I imagine that's even less fun than actually playing... :)

I've toyed with it, and found the posted builds a bit weak..

It's important to have a SLF with a good pilot as it will attack ships staying some distance from you spamming hatch breaker or taking pot shots. It can get a bit hairy if you have 2 wings of anacondas and corvettes attacking you.. :)

I think the shield banks are there to recharge the shields after the initial wave of pirates that can occasionally be pretty punishing. Personally I'd fill those with guardian shield or module reinforcements. I'd also make sure that the engineering on the laser turrets can fire for a long time, as the builds I've seen empty the weapon's capacitor far too early. Better a shorter range or weaker lasers, than lasers that hardly fire at all..

Quite often it would survive overnight, though sometimes I would find it destroyed or emptied of gold and no SLF running patrols. But would one really care about a 25 million rebuy if one can cash in 150 or 300 millions in bounties?

Still it's a boring way to play a game, even though it's an interesting challenge to engineer. Though I must say that stacking pirate missions and then heading to a low res to farm does bring in the dosh. But far more fun is to leave the NPC piloting the turret boat and taking the helm of the SLF. When needing a pause switching to collector limpet duty also brings a lot of needed manufactured materials.

Is it an exploit or not? I'd think not as it's just using the game mechanics and it's been known for a long time but hasn't been called an exploit by FDev. Still boring and probably not needed. Just take the turret boat out and play, and no need to AFK unless you really are in a hurry to amass credits.

Even though I can't find understand why someone would want an AFK build I'll offer a tip.

Go collect some MISSION cargo instead of a purchased commodity.

NPC's won't be able to steal it however many hatchbreakers they send and you can remove the PD's for more shield boosters.

Even though I can't find understand why someone would want an AFK build I'll offer a tip.

Go collect some MISSION cargo instead of a purchased commodity.

NPC's won't be able to steal it however many hatchbreakers they send and you can remove the PD's for more shield boosters.

I wasn't aware of that, quite an oversight from the Devs there! lol.

LOL
Can we have a project for cardboard mansion for all poor sods that want to be billionaire without doing anything to achieve it?

Self explanatory title
I figure it would be helpful to every wanna-be billionaire playing this game if we could throw together an AFK PVE ship capable of racking in credits while cutting out the hassle of engineering it, which is why I challenge this forum to build an AFK ship with 0 engineering.
Impress me ;)
It can't be done without engineering. I spent 100s of hours researching with different builds. A ship needs maximum engineered shields, charge enhanced PD and long-range weapons to survive AFK.

If it's credits you want, you can do pirate massacre missions in a low RES using an unengineered Vulture to get up to 200 mil/hrs once repped up with the local factions.

Top Bottom