Unknown Signal Lottery: A More Skill-based Solution?

We've all been there. You get a mission that requires you to search a system for X target/item(s). So what do you do? You fly aimlessly at low velocity in that system and wait for an unknown signal to pop up in your nav pane. When you find one, you cross your fingers, lock-on and hope it's what you're looking for. Odds are, it's going to be a random convoy or a squad of law enforcement figures. You can have the best ship in the game rigged with the best sensors, but there's no way to gain an edge in these missions aside from sheer luck? I suggest a more skill-based solution that involves both ship equipment and player skill, something that if done correctly can improve the odds of finding the right signal the first time, or at least a lot faster.
So how should they go about implementing this? Well, I think signals should show up as they do now, but then have varying levels of resolution. Like scanning celestial bodies, pilots should be able to lock-on to these and then scan for additional details. i.e. 'Multiple ship signatures detected.' or 'Collidable objects detected.' (for wreck sites) Better sensors offer faster results, perhaps even more detailed results.
It's possible that the dev's current system determines the type of site as the pilot drops in to them, but with a bit of a work-around it shouldn't be too much trouble to add this functionality.

Agree and I also like to add that it should be possible in a little sidewinder without having to buy some super expensive module. I have 20000 to my name. I want to fight and all I seam to do is to fly around aim less for hours, this game is soon put on hold and ill go back to war thunder planes until this becomes playable. That means FUN not GRIND.

Yes, when I saw your thread title, your solution was exactly what sprung to mind. It seems like such a simple addition, but it would make the whole process significantly more enjoyable than the current USS roulette.

Top Bottom