Unpleasant sensations in VR when traveling in SRV (Oculus S)

Is there a link between dizziness and nausea when traveling in an SRV and with the frame frequency in an Oculus S VR-helmet?
What is the optimal frequency of settings should be set in VR mode in the helmet, in order to reduce the unpleasant sensations when traveling on the surfaces of planets in SRV?

It's called "simulator sickness", and a high framerate (or rather, a low delay between physical head movement and optical head movement) is supposed to be one of the things that reduces it. But the whole phenomenon is highly subjective - and one of the reasons why VR gaming is still pretty much a niche (there are various attempts to solve e.g. the problem of first person movement, with a so far not too convincing rate of success. I'm very curious how the VR version of Half Life will turn out in that respect).

Is there a link between dizziness and nausea when traveling in an SRV and with the frame frequency in an Oculus S VR-helmet?
What is the optimal frequency of settings that should be set in VR mode in the helmet, in order to reduce the unpleasant sensations when traveling on the surfaces of planets in SRV?
Higher framerates won't help you. Your internal biological gyroscope tells you that you sit in one place and don't do any pitch, yaw or roll movements, while your eyes tell you the opposite. So your diagnostic system assumes you've eaten a wrong mushroom and you need to empty your stomach. Only "camera fix to horizon" or may help.

Kietrax

Volunteer Moderator
As well as the fixed horizon, nother thing to try is to train yourself in to it gradually. Play for a bit but when you start to feel sick, take of the headset and go do something else until you feel fine again. Might only last 5-10 minutes the first time. Next time you should be able to go a bit longer, but maybe only a few minutes. Repeat the process until you can stay in VR as long as you want to play. Don't rush it - if you stay in VR while feeling sick our body will start to associate feeling sick with wearing the headset and it'll get worse not better.

One thing other some people report helps is to get a small desk fan and have air gently blowing at your face whilst playing - same principle as opening the car window to help with car sickness (which is the same phenomenon your are experiencing here).

Some other things that may help: Keep your eye on the horizon or some far away stable feature while on the move. Use your off center vision to steer. Stay out of turret mode as much as possible. Set an analog axis with a lot of range for turning and don't make sharp turns with speed.

If you're new to using VR it might just be something you'll get used to. when I first got my PlayStation VR after using it for like 4 or 5 hours a few days in a row I used to get the feeling that everything in real life was looking simulated some people experience VR sickness differently apparently, but it should pass, altough there are a few games that I'll start to get motion sickness in after an hour or so still.

I do find the SRV nausea inducing, especially if i'm throwing it around (I have the fixed horizon on, it helps, but is not a complete fix). I tend to take things slower when in the SRV than I would if in the ship. I can throw the ship around all over the place for hours on end and never have an issue. Since playing ED solely in VR my time in the SRV has reduced considerably because of this.

My PC is definitely now struggling with some VR titles (although ED is fine) and I do feel nauseous using some first person motion titles, i do think its down to the framerate as well, if ASW or whatever system is used is on most of the time i do feel it, but can't always 'see' it, but the brain is seeing the reduced frames and is struggling.

I hope that any first person aspect that FD produce is done with VR considered, otherwise it'll be horrible. Something like Lone Echo, which i'm fine with, would be great.

You'll probably have seen it posted elsewhere, but don't try and push through the nausea, it won't work and you'll build up subconscious resentment to VR, definitely take a break when hitting the nausea trigger.

The SRV can make you seasick, VR or not!

It is actually "reverse" sea-sickness.
Sea-sickness is caused by your eyes telling your brain that you aren't moving while your ears are telling your brain that you are moving. Your brain gets confused and 🤮 .
In the game it is reversed: your eyes are telling your brain that you are moving while your ears are telling your brain that you aren't moving.

I do not see any remedy for this in VR. There is a setting (for monitors) that tries to lock your view to the horizon, which seems to work for me but I do not know if that setting will work with VR.
All I can suggest is that you try turning on the "Lock SRV view to Horizon" option to see if it helps. If it does not, then at the first sign of sea-sickness (yawning, dizziness, sweating, salivating) you immediately log out of the game and go take a nap. Anti-seasickness medicine will not help because your ears are not moving and anti-seasick pills work in your ears. o7

Last edited:

Sea-sickness is caused by your eyes telling your brain that you aren't moving while your ears are telling your brain that you are moving. Your brain gets confused and 🤮 .
In the game it is reversed: your eyes are telling your brain that you are moving while your ears are telling your brain that you aren't moving.

I do not see any remedy for this in VR. There is a setting (for monitors) that tries to lock your view to the horizon, which seems to work for me but I do not know if that setting will work with VR.
All I can suggest is that you try turning on the "Lock SRV view to Horizon" option to see if it helps. If it does not, then at the first sign of sea-sickness (yawning, dizziness, sweating, salivating) you immediately log out of the game and go take a nap. Anti-seasickness medicine will not help because your ears are not moving and anti-seasick pills work in your ears. o7

Yes, the lock horizon setting works in VR and works well.

There is a fix for the eye/ear connection, and that is to break the connection. Slightly invasive, just syringe sterile saline into your inner ear(s) :) breaking the connection. But you might fall over when you return to RL :cool:

VR that does not also include ear balance organ (and all senses tbh) induction is just Visual Reality, not Virtual Reality.

VR that does not also include ear balance organ (and all senses tbh) induction is just Visual Reality, not Virtual Reality.
I suspect I would get motion sickness in a real SRV, LOL. It's not like these moons are paved with highways. I really wish Frontier would give us a hovercraft SRV like a skimmer. Wheeled vehicles are not the right tool for much of the terrain we encounter.

I suspect I would get motion sickness in a real SRV, LOL. It's not like these moons are paved with highways. I really wish Frontier would give us a hovercraft SRV like a skimmer. Wheeled vehicles are not the right tool for much of the terrain we encounter.
I am pretty convinced near future scientists and engineers will agree.
Unless they can implant stuff that makes it impossible to get any form of nausea. Because one of the great problems in space, for non-evolved humans, is rotational nausea.

Top Bottom