Unpopular animals special to you

Hey everybody. Today I wanted to talk about animals that are not popular on the forums. While looking at the updated list on random goats forum on the most requested animals, I noted a lot of animals that don’t have a lot of requests. Specifically on animals that have had 5 or fewer requests. Fee free to mention why you would like these animals, if their conservation status is important, there’s something in particular unique or anything that you believe would be great for PZ.
Here’s an example
I am in favor of the Steller Sea Lion. They have a growl as opposed to the barking California sea lions have. Their numbers are closely monitored as there are endangered stocks. If California’s are added then so be it. Just my unpopular request.
Please no exhibit animals and aviary required animals.

California Condors - for some reason they're not popular on the site but they're great animals, and critically endangered.
And ... bats. Our zoo has (had) a great bat exhibit with both common fruit bats and a rare species (forgot the name) they were beeding as part of a conservation program. Having them in the game would be the same problem as an aviary - though I guess you could do them as exhibit animals.

California Condors - for some reason they're not popular on the site but they're great animals, and critically endangered.
And ... bats. Our zoo has (had) a great bat exhibit with both common fruit bats and a rare species (forgot the name) they were beeding as part of a conservation program. Having them in the game would be the same problem as an aviary - though I guess you could do them as exhibit animals.
I’ve seen California condors and am aware of their story and I believe they would be an important aviary animal. I also support having bats in the future.
I did say please no aviary as I’m trying to talk about the animals on the meta list with few requests

I want raccoons and armadillos. They don't rank very high on the list unfortunately.

Other unpopular choices that I'd like to see are:
- barbary macaque: the only monkey in Europe
- Eurasian brown bear: its wide distribution would allow us to use it in many more zoos than the Himalayan brown bear. Also, it's more common in zoos.
Ursus_arctos_range-change.jpg

- Eurasian otter: the Asian small clawded one is far more popular, but once again the Eurasian species has a broader distribution allowing us to use it in more biomas:
European_Otter_area.png

The Kangaroo Island Kangaroo, Macropus Fuliginosus Fuliginosus is a Western Grey Kangaroo subspecies distinct with it's brown fur and darker snout, and also being an island subspecies, they are very friendly and would allow for kangaroo walkthroughs.

Little Blue Penguin, Eudyptula Minor, is the smallest penguin in the world, found on the South-East coastlines of Australia and found around New Zealand's coastlines, their small size, and adorable manor warrant its inclusion in my opinion.

Black and White Ruffed Lemur, Varecia Variegata, is a critically endangered species of one of two ruffed lemur species on Madagascar. Despite having a larger range than the red ruffed lemur, it has a much smaller population that is spread out, living in lower population densities and reproductively isolated. They are a widely recognizable lemur species and are common in zoos around the world.

Asian Small-Clawed Otter, Aonyx Cinereus, is the smallest otter species found in river systems across South-East Asia, I don't know how wanted the Asian Small-Clawed Otter is in comparison to others such as the Sea Otter, Eurasian Otter and North American River Otter. Anyway, this is a species I really want in the game because it can be easier for players to implement otters into zoos, particularly in Franchise, because of their small size and their need for not so massive habitats as the current Giant Otter, making it an animal can be in the same category that I put the Red Panda, Binturong, Meerkat, Fennec Fox and Ring-Tailed Lemur in, small habitat favourites.

South American Tapir, Tapirus Terrestris, is the third largest of the four tapirs, I pick it because in my opinion it is the tapir which fits better in a habitat with Capybara which may enter the game in the future. They are a key part of the Amazon Forest of which the Baird's only inhabits a small portion whereas the South American, is distributed across most of the continent.

(based on the 30 essential animal lists)

Emperor Tamarin - Not on many lists, but it looks so much fun. (getting "Kill Bill" vibes with this one)

Golden Pheasant/Cabot's Tragopan - Great looking ground birds. You don't see these types of ground birds on many lists. Striking appearance/colours and something different for PZ.

Wisent - in recent years became popular with more people and more breeding programs shown up in the past 5-10 years. Unpopular because we already got the American Bison. It's a culturally relevant animal for 2 countries (Poland/Belarus) and even some of the surrounding countries have a connection with this animal. And we can use 1 or 2 more bovine.

For me it's the Sumatran tiger. Far more endangered than the Bengal or Siberian (which are often hybridised in zoo collections anyway, by accident, or at least they often come from hybridised stock), and more common in non-American zoos (particularly in Australasia). Unlike the Bengal and Siberian tiger, the Sumatran is also actually a separate subspecies (Panthera tigris sondaica), whereas the Bengal and Siberian tigers represent two clades of the same subspecies (Panthera tigris tigris).

Sumatran tigers are smaller and have far more vivid colouring, and are a more specifically tropical animal than the Bengal tiger, which often inhabits temperate woodland and wooded grassland as well as tropical/monsoon forests.

Jackals. I don't know that they're actually unpopular per se, but they don't get a lot of requests. I love wild canines, they're among my favorite animals. While other wild canines get requested a lot, Jackals get nowhere near the spotlight. No, they're not as much a staple as meerkats, lions, giraffes and elephants, but they just may be in my top 10 favorite African animals.

I agree. They had some at the San Diego Wild Animal Park last time I was down there, and they are truly impressive birds. They are breeding in the wild now but are definitely not out of danger.

I'd also like to see mountain lions, if the game ever expands on North American fauna, or if they want to have something more endangered, then maybe Florida panthers.

Oh, and black-footed ferrets.

And if they ever do small mammal exhibits, naked mole rats. I saw some at the Syracuse zoo once, and they are fascinating, being a rare example of a eusocial mammal (and they have other bizarre adaptations too, such as living an unusually long time for a rodent and being extraordinarily resistant to cancer.

I have a long list of animals I think will never see the light of day.

Ex: Babirusa, Saiga Antelope, Proboscis Monkey, Przewalski's Horse (I think this species has a small possibility of making the game since it's a horse species and Frontier tends to focus on "cute" animals) Manatee, Platypus, Wombat, Emu, Rhea, Uakari Monkey

With the current (underwhelming) 3-4 animals per DLC model, I'm afraid these unique animals will unfortunately never see a dlc release.

babirusa-coke-smith.jpg
115691341.jpg
040319_TS_flightless-bird_feat.jpg
Proboscis-monkey.jpg
Uakari_male.jpg
Saiga-tatarica-Chyornye-Zemli-Black-Lands-Nature-Reserve-Kalmykia-region-Russia.jpg

Jackals. I don't know that they're actually unpopular per se, but they don't get a lot of requests. I love wild canines, they're among my favorite animals. While other wild canines get requested a lot, Jackals get nowhere near the spotlight. No, they're not as much a staple as meerkats, lions, giraffes and elephants, but they just may be in my top 10 favorite African animals.
I personally requested Indian Jackal. I agree that they are a canine that does not have any representation. My favorite zoo is my Indian Zoo with Indian animals and some oceania/asia.

I have a long list of animals I think will never see the light of day.

Ex: Babirusa, Saiga Antelope, Proboscis Monkey, Przewalski's Horse (I think this species has a small possibility of making the game since it's a horse species and Frontier tends to focus on "cute" animals) Manatee, Platypus, Wombat, Emu, Rhea, Uakari Monkey

With the current (underwhelming) 3-4 animals per DLC model, I'm afraid these unique animals will unfortunately never see a dlc release.
Most species you mentioned are high on the "30 essential animals" list, so I wouldn't call them unpopular. :D

Nice pick with the Uakari Monkey - don't see that one often on any list.

well Babirusa currently ranks at 21. P horse is currently number 9. I have seen many forums with these animals requests. Not sure about the other 2 but I hope that gave you some hope.

Most species you mentioned are high on the "30 essential animals" list, so I wouldn't call them unpopular. :D

Nice pick with the Uakari Monkey - don't see that one often on any list.

Thanks and I really hope I'm wrong. I don't see frontier adding these to DLC regardless of the interest....MAYBE we get a second dlc for australia/oceania that is more complete (I could see wombats, platypus, emu etc making it) but I just don't see a second dlc JUST for oceania ever coming.

I just can't picture any of these dudes (minus przewalskis) making the cut. That being said, I'd mortage my house to get the top 40 animals from that meta wishlist!!!!

Skunks and minks are the first unpopular animals that come to my mind when I think about it. And I'd still take the harbour seal, even though it's similar to the grey seal. And a spectacled bear. I don't get the "no more bears" thing. But yeah, maybe it has to do with the limited spots we have.

For me some unpopular animals that come to mind would be Pallas cat and although somewhat popular in comparison the asiatic and Barbary lion and Sumatran tiger for cats. Others would include the hirola, saiga, proboscis monkey, mountain gorilla, and false gharial. For unpopular exhibit animals a vine snake,African rock python, and glass lizard.

For unpopular exhibit animals a vine snake,African rock python, and glass lizard.

Oh, I forgot about the exhibits. I'd love to see a blue dart frog although people don't seem to ask for it. Maybe it's because we already have 3 frogs from South America, but the little blue ones are the first species of frog I discovered (thanks to the info card that came with a chocolate bar with animal designs that I use to eat as a kid).

Top Bottom