Patch Notes Update Update 1.1.02 Incoming - 4pm GMT

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, update 1.1.02 is incoming at 4pm GMT ....
Hi Michael,
Influence/missions bug still persistent for Eranin party. There's been some improvement - now on BBSs at both Azeban stations you can always find 1 or 2 missions from Eranin Peoples Party.
But there is more to it than meets the eye:
  1. Eranin Peoples Party influence is at 99.0% now:
    tRLyBIf.jpg
    VpNNaLs.jpg
  2. But when I complete a mission for them - their influence bar appears almost empty (as if they have 0% influence):
    PiUvnwU.jpg
  3. Here is how their mission list looks on both Azeban stations now:
    IdC7n5o.jpg
    gX7iPVj.jpg
    MljmR16.jpg
    z0Wrbn7.jpg
    dkjQRNr.jpg
    BSQSo4O.jpg
    EI0tY0A.jpg
    DvocItG.jpg
I think there is some double-booking for influence parameter in your databases and it's not properly handled, that's why a player can see these inconsistencies. Surely a controlling faction with 99% influence should give much more missions than other factions which share 1% influence in this system among them.

Here is our previous talk about this problem back when 1.06 got out:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=103124&p=1602438&viewfull=1#post1602438
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=103124&p=1602183&viewfull=1#post1602183
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=103124&p=1601192&viewfull=1#post1601192

Cheers!

Last edited:
Let me explain my point of view so you will understand it. Going down to your level of understanding for this one. If i buy a car i don't care if it has engine already used and tested in another car or not. I want it to work. I don't want that car left me in the middle of nowhere just cuz that car have build engine from scratch. I want it to work. Same game engine doesn't mean different skin. The engine is tested and the devs know it works that is why it's used. Rage-quit? More like i quit cuz i bought this game for my playground not devs. I am a customer just like you and i will post in here as much as i like since i bet you haven't payed more for the game itself that i did. Maybe you don't experience any problems and I'm glad you don't. But i do.

All i can say is thanks god this is not some business software. They will be gone by now.

You knew coming in to this game that it was a ground-up work in progress. The sheer magnitude of what they are offering in game requires that they add on to it repeatedly. It would take a development team 20 years to test and implement a game with all the features they intend, then release it in perfect order. And the Beta testing would burn out over time, because it would still require people to test everything. With a full player base, they can actually find the bugs and deliver you the game.

Essentially there's no way a game like this could have ever emerged. Not with the scope involved, the depth of future content, and the player input and dynamic environment. No developer would touch something that took this long, and they couldn't find enough Beta testers to find the bugs.

So you can think of it like you're being forced into a testing environment, or you can recognize that you can be a part of a team that actually delivered the most ambitious game in history. I've seen station bugs only up until the end of Gamma, no more bugs since then, so your experiences aren't as common as you might believe. So the game is largely working as intended.

The other analogue, Star Citizen, another game trying to be as ambitious as this one is, has been frustrating people to no end and become the subject of endless mockery for the flood of new ships that just bring the developer more cash.

But Star Citizen would actually take 20 years to become as vast as Elite Dangerous. Elite Dangerous can do it in five, maybe even less. And that all comes down to the active ground-up construction model employed by Frontier, and the huge amount of people to help crunch data.

You shouldn't quit on this game, because this is the first game of its scope and magnitude, ever. Eventually we get planetary landings, and a whole lot more along with that. Only when its implemented in Elite Dangerous, that will equate to hundreds of billions of planets to land on. All at once. That's what is fascinating about this game, is it will spontaneously become orders of magnitude larger than its current size, on several different occasions.

So by the time you're thinking you might get bored (rather than just frustrated with the bugs that have been worked out months prior), you will suddenly get ship boardings, PvP with laser pistols, landings on alien planets, etc. Then you've got to pick up and learn an entirely new game, within your existing game. That is fun. That and the sandbox model mean you've always got something new and relevant to do.

So you can focus on the temporary bugs, or you can recognize that they are almost all gone and enjoy what you have. Because what you're going to be able to get in a few years is frankly ridiculous, and by the point that it's available, you'll be really kicking yourself that you don't have a Python or better by then. All that time wasted that you could have been getting prepared.

Michael Brookes

Game Director
Hi Michael,
Influence/missions bug still persistent for Eranin party. There's been some improvement - now on BBSs at both Azeban stations you can always find 1 or 2 missions from Eranin Peoples Party.
    tRLyBIf.jpg
    VpNNaLs.jpg
  2. But when I complete a mission for them - their influence bar appears almost empty (as if they have 0% influence):
    PiUvnwU.jpg
    IdC7n5o.jpg
    gX7iPVj.jpg
    MljmR16.jpg
    z0Wrbn7.jpg
    dkjQRNr.jpg
    BSQSo4O.jpg
    EI0tY0A.jpg
    DvocItG.jpg
I think there is some double-booking for influence parameter in your databases and it's not properly handled, that's why a player can see these inconsistencies. Surely a controlling faction with 99% influence should give much more missions than other factions which share 1% influence in this system among them.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=103124&p=1602438&viewfull=1#post1602438
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=103124&p=1602183&viewfull=1#post1602183
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=103124&p=1601192&viewfull=1#post1601192

Cheers!

We'll take a look. However artificially increasing the minimum number of missions for weak minor factions will cut into the total number of available missions so I'd expect the disparity to be less.

Michael

When you guys are going to fix the cartographic bug, be sure to also check the ship integrity bug where it goes back to what it was but does not reimburse your cash. When i will fix my ship a second time it will cost me 100k more than if i had self destructed myself, that is 33% more.

Hi Michael,
    tRLyBIf.jpg
    VpNNaLs.jpg
    PiUvnwU.jpg
    IdC7n5o.jpg
    gX7iPVj.jpg
    MljmR16.jpg
    z0Wrbn7.jpg
    dkjQRNr.jpg
    BSQSo4O.jpg
    EI0tY0A.jpg
    DvocItG.jpg

Cheers!
This ^^^ is how you give feedback on the game. Not "I hate it, it sux blah blah whine whine I want I want" etc
Bektop, I repped you for such brilliant feedback, good job.

Maybe you don't experience any problems and I'm glad you don't. But i do.
I've looked at your post history to see if you posted details of your issues, hardware specs, driver versions, etc. but can't find any, therefore at this time none of us can help you. Please start a thread in ED Support sub-forum detailing your issues - I see you've got a sound problem - so that we can help.

You knew coming in to this game that it was a ground-up work in progress. The sheer magnitude of what they are offering in game requires that they add on to it repeatedly. It would take a development team 20 years to test and implement a game with all the features they intend, then release it in perfect order. And the Beta testing would burn out over time, because it would still require people to test everything. With a full player base, they can actually find the bugs and deliver you the game ........... lot's of other text.

You missed my point. Game for me is unplayable. How can I be excited of new content if i can't enjoy current one?

Michael Brookes I don't know if you caught it already, but one of the FGE members found a bug where you could continually resell scan data without it disappearing, which allowed him to make some 50 million in a matter of minutes. I found about it from him on our Facebook forums, and I believe he sent the message along to you guys for a fix.

I've looked at your post history to see if you posted details of your issues, hardware specs, driver versions, etc. but can't find any, therefore at this time none of us can help you. Please start a thread in ED Support sub-forum detailing your issues - I see you've got a sound problem - so that we can help.

Ticked issued with all my specs and stuff. We fixed that issue, but after the update issue is still here. And solution provided from support team doesn't work anymore. Hell, the time wasted searching for the solution for this problem, if i would convert it to playtime i would fly freakin' capital ship till now not Viper.

You missed my point. Game for me is unplayable. How can I be excited of new content if i can't enjoy current one?

You must have a gimpy computer or something man, I haven't seen any bugs in over a month, and I've done the gamut of different things in game since then.

I entirely agree with Cyranis' point. I don't think he is whinging.
For a game to be fair, it requires the same rules for all. Ongoing discounts etc change that. Fine that you get the discount for becoming Elite - that's potentially attainable by all. Getting it as a backer *is* approaching 'pay for win' and is one step away from being able to buy an upgrade with PayPal. The rewards for backing should be 'one off' rewards of free ship and unique distinctions such as special paintjobs etc - not ongoing advantage however slight. Remember early backers have the advantage of being further into the game with more experience and resultant better rankings. In some ways that is its own reward in open play.

let's put this in to a context shall we, we are talking about a 2069 players out of several 100,000 players in total. also take into account that those 2069 people paid/pledged individually between 150-5000 GDP putting in 603,650 GBP of the total raised (approx 38%) from the 25,681 backers on KS, and that two years ago, when there wasn't even a game to be had, that's over half a million pounds on faith alone! there simply wouldn't be game to play if they hadn't done so!

personally, i think a 2.5% discount on ships and upgrades and a decal, that incidentally is nothing like what was originally described, really isn't all that "special" a treatment at all, nor is it really what could be called, within all reason, "pay to win" and especially not in a game that has no "win" anyway! if anything all it does is perhaps speed up, albeit only very slightly, their potential advancement in the game! and again speaking only for myself that's only a very slight help really as i don't have several hours a day to dedicate to playing the game, real life at my age tends to get in the way somewhat, as i suspect it probably does for a lot of the other 2068.

Michael Brookes

Game Director
Michael Brookes I don't know if you caught it already, but one of the FGE members found a bug where you could continually resell scan data without it disappearing, which allowed him to make some 50 million in a matter of minutes. I found about it from him on our Facebook forums, and I believe he sent the message along to you guys for a fix.

I'm not familiar with this - is there a ticket with the details?

Michael

You must have a gimpy computer or something man, I haven't seen any bugs in over a month, and I've done the gamut of different things in game since then.

Please if you don't know what are you talking about .....

I have :

GeForce GTX 680
8 Gb RAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Corsair Force GT ATA Device
Realtek Soundcard On-board

I know it's not latest & greatest but let me remind you Elite is first game where i experience problems.

Ticked issued with all my specs and stuff. We fixed that issue, but after the update issue is still here. And solution provided from support team doesn't work anymore. Hell, the time wasted searching for the solution for this problem, if i would convert it to playtime i would fly freakin' capital ship till now not Viper.

Coding is not easy, and I doubt the hardware exists at Frontier development for them to internally test something resembling your gaming rig. The thing is that most other multiplayers (WOW, COD, BF) are also fraught with bugs upon a new patch release. But you really don't see people uninstalling and quitting the game because of this. You must be relatively new to multiplayer gaming or something (at least compared to the older and more obsessive nerdlings such as myself), because this is par for the course, and often it's a lot worse.

The only real problem is because the game is so economy driven, bugs can cause catastrophic things to happen to your gameplay, at least in terms of your progression. I understand bug difficulties in the beginning of a patch, that's everywhere and it's inevitable. But if you lose credits because of inadvertent problems, I do think Frontier should get your credits back to you. It's just a nice reminder that they're looking out for you, saves everyone a lot of anguish.

But yeah, I don't know what to say man, this is just the reality of patches. It's just a matter of systems science. A small snafu in a system balloons into bigger problems. These things usually require trial and error to find, because unfortunately you can't compute your optimizations like a traditional engineer can. See, I'm a physical systems engineer. I can usually define my target, and pretty well predict what means I need to take to get there. With coding that's a whole lot more difficult. It's much more difficult to optimize, and I think that's where a lot of the problems arise.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I'm not familiar with this - is there a ticket with the details?

Michael

Closed group so I can't show you the thread, I'll just go ask him, he's not trying to exploit the game, and he documented everything.

He lives in the United States though so I doubt he's awake right now. We'll get back to you on that in a couple of hours. Thanks Michael, love the game.

Last edited:
Please if you don't know what are you talking about .....

I have :

GeForce GTX 680
8 Gb RAM
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Corsair Force GT ATA Device
Realtek Soundcard On-board

I know it's not latest & greatest but let me remind you Elite is first game where i experience problems.

No, but it's comparable to my rig in terms of performance. Well, don't know what to say, sorry you're one of the unlucky ones. I'm sure it will get fixed here soon, all the bugs that impacted me are gone now.

People saying "I have no problems, its must be your rubbish/gimpy/old system" thats so helpful, no really. This forum needs a minus rep as well as a plus rep feature for that alone.
If its our systems, explain why myself and a friend who have totally different hardware have identical sound issues since the update?

We'll take a look. However artificially increasing the minimum number of missions for weak minor factions will cut into the total number of available missions so I'd expect the disparity to be less. Michael
I know you have a lot to go through on these forums, so in case you missed this I'll just stress again that the main issue now is there is almost 100% difference between displayed Eranin Peoples Party influence on Galaxy Map (99%) and on "mission summary" report bar (0%/empty bar)

As for "artificially increasing the minimum number of missions for weak minor factions" - I see it's been already implemented with 1.1 patch and is working great in other systems, but if you could extend available BBS missions list limit to include more missions from influential factions - this could make it look much more logical for a player. So a major faction will post about 10 missions on BBS, while minor one would keep posting 1 or 2. Sounds about right to me.

People saying "I have no problems, its must be your rubbish/gimpy/old system" thats so helpful, no really. This forum needs a minus rep as well as a plus rep feature for that alone.
If its our systems, explain why myself and a friend who have totally different hardware have identical sound issues since the update?

Well frankly I have no idea, I haven't had any problems with my sound at all, and my rig was mid-grade bought new in 2011. They did a lot of sound tweaking in the last patch, so some line of code isn't working with your system, but mine turns out fine. Can't say, no clear answers.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom