Update 15, the Upcoming Feature Rework and More

It is functionally identical.
Sure, my point was simply that you could have had the same experiences with an "adopted" NPC faction.
Its just a label and some blurb, a bit like branded toothpaste v generics.
It sure feels different for some of us, there's thousands of them for some reason.
Anyway, I understand that like many things in ED, not everyone will think of this the same way

I would be happy if the horrible Issue tracker would be finally either fixed or ditched altogether.

Right now it’s too buggy and players are unable to report new bugs because the tool simply doesn’t work - all issues seem to be recorded fine but in the background they are actually scrapped by the tracker and it’s impossible to load them.

How are players supposed to report bugs when the tracker is not working and the forums are basically ignored?

Player Made Factions: Applications Closing
Player Made Factions have played a key role in expressing your will over the shape of the bubble. This goal is at the heart of our plans for Elite and reflected in the Thargoid War. Our focus is now turning to investigate how upcoming systems will allow every player and player group to have a meaningful impact on the galaxy’s landscape. This means we will be closing applications for PMFs, however we will process any remaining applications.
The PMF application has been broken since about November though, despite attempts to submit an application. Is there any course for people to actually get a submission in now before the closure or is our new squadron just out of luck for a PMF?

I can for sure say that I feel far more attached to my genuine PMF which was built from the ground up, than I ever would to something that has just been declared to be "us".
Sure it is functionally the same, but having one's own name on it makes all the difference.

Also what would happen when two or more squadrons were to adopt the same NPC faction? :giggle:
The same as any faction- just because its a PMF does not bar any other group.

It sure feels different for some of us, there's thousands of them for some reason.
Anyway, I understand that like many things in ED, not everyone will think of this the same way
I can understand the attachment, but its not giving you anything other than labels. You are given no extra goodies or preferential treatment (which, I'd love to be honest if you are allied).

Thanks for the update Bruce.

I had expected Update 15 would slip to May. I'm going to be honest though, the still unnamed feature rework being moved to the end of the year really isn't good.
But isn't bad either. Until then business as usual. They are managing expectations. Probably it won't be the overhaul of engineering as some people expect it to be, so they can avoid cultivating negative player engagement until release day. I believe the most sensible approach would be to rework the Powerplay system and some other mechanisms too which can feed into the new PP. Maybe it's even more difficult to communicate its complexity before they lay down some narrative content which are coming with U15. So they don't want to spoil things.

Base building would be a new feature not an overhaul of an existing one.
Eh, I suppose you're right, if you wanna get fenagley about it though, I imagine such a feature would overhaul some features of the base game, and could be a reason to end player faction submissions, of course there are plenty of much less fun reasons they could be doing that too.

I can understand the attachment, but its not giving you anything other than labels. You are given no extra goodies or preferential treatment (which, I'd love to be honest if you are allied).
One can only hope...something you are quite familiar with in fact lol

The PMF application has been broken since about November though, despite attempts to submit an application. Is there any course for people to actually get a submission in now before the closure or is our new squadron just out of luck for a PMF?
Its a mixed blessing though- quite often PMFs would be inserted into places totally unsuitable (such as with Powerplay) and / or want changes and getting fraught.

Update 15 will have the biggest moments in the game to date but we're not going to tell you anything about it and move the release to May.

We're still investigating a major feature rework from last year but we're not going to tell you what it is.

Player Made Factions have played a key role shaping the bubble but we're moving on with the Thargoid War and investigating the player and player group to still have a meaningful impact in the game if at all. Thus we're closing down applications.

The console profile transfer portal to move Elite Dangerous to the PC will re-open in April.

The Live version of Elite will become the default download. Steam users will require an update. Anyone who wants to continue playing Legacy will have to download it.

While the above announcements outline several major plans for the upcoming year without any useful information, further announcements without any useful information will be made in the upcoming weeks and months. As always, if you have any questions or comments, please leave them below!
________________________________________________________________________________

That's how I 'feel' about the post. I wish it were otherwise. Given platitudes and talking without saying anything also expresses something which may or may not be good. I understand the standard game company PR for decades is advertising a black page in a game magazine with the words, "An awesome XXX game coming June 2024".

But Elite changed the gaming world with some of the best and worse gaming moments for players. A little info would go a long way to celebrate the anticipation of some and alleviate the apprehension of others. Then information might just make it worse. What do you think?

Regards to Players and the Devs

Last edited:
Its a mixed blessing though- quite often PMFs would be inserted into places totally unsuitable (such as with Powerplay) and / or want changes and getting fraught.
Still, feels like a kick in the back for newer active squadrons trying to make a home for themselves when dozens of inactive Squadrons with PMFs hang around, without having any way to even submit an application the past few months.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
But isn't bad either. Until then business as usual. They are managing expectations. Probably it won't be the overhaul of engineering as some people expect it to be, so they can avoid cultivating negative player engagement until release day. I believe the most sensible approach would be to rework the Powerplay system and some other mechanisms too which can feed into the new PP. Maybe it's even more difficult to communicate its complexity before they lay down some narrative content which are coming with U15. So they don't want to spoil things.
They initially announced the overhaul in May of last year. They said they would tell us what it was towards the end of the year, they didn't. Now they are investigating the feature to see if it can be overhauled, but they're not going to tell us the results until the end of this year, maybe. We still don't know remotely what it is.

There's not wanting to spoil things, and then there's plans have obviously changed.

Top Bottom