Update 18.02 | Wednesday 10th April

This should make Buckyballing interesting... Though from what I hear about the class 7 drive, it's a good thing we also have bonuses in some races for the amount of heat % attained.
This might break the record of over 5300%

It’ll be interesting to see how it affects braking maneuvers. Last time Supercruise “acceleration” increased, it led to slower overall travel times over typical distances, thanks to braking inefficiencies.

@Paul_Crowther please tell the devs who implemented more than 32 buttons on controllers my big thanks and a huge o7! I am a Virpil-HOTAS user and suffered with all the workarounds for years.
That improvement makes me VERY happy!
AMEN to that!! Really glad to not have to jump through hoops with another program and create virtual devices to get it to work with my flight sim gear.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
It’ll be interesting to see how it affects braking maneuvers. Last time Supercruise “acceleration” increased, it led to slower overall travel times over typical distances, thanks to braking inefficiencies.
I get the feeling if it's used then it would be purely for the start of journeys. As it appears the underlying mechanic hasn't changed as long as you get down below the max speed you would have reached normally, by the time you would have reached that point, it should be the same.

... and 7 of them are FDLs!
(Like I have 6 Couriers...)
Come on Ratty. Keep up .... ;-)
1712750152613.png

Well, I am underwhelmed by Super Cruise Overcharge.

We've been asking as a community for a solution to overly long supercruise traverse times (see my signature that's been there since 2018 at the least), here you finally give us some kind of thing to address the issue, and... you slap an EXTREME fuel consumption/heat penalty on it such that you can't even shave 25% of the time for a typical 110k ls journey before you're out of fuel and heatsinks?

This is like ship transfer all over again, why must QOL additions to the game addressing player sore spots be like pulling teeth?

Oh, and of 'course' the thing can't be engineered - because having the insanely long unlock & material grind to gain benefits shouldn't apply to this, that would be too fun and make too much sense for investment in the game, heaven forbid.

@Paul_Crowther please tell the devs who implemented more than 32 buttons on controllers my big thanks and a huge o7! I am a Virpil-HOTAS user and suffered with all the workarounds for years.
That improvement makes me VERY happy!
Work arounds? Virpil has a button that turns all of your devices into 32 button devices. Yes, you end up with 3 devices for the throttle.

Well, I am underwhelmed by Super Cruise Overcharge.

We've been asking as a community for a solution to overly long supercruise traverse times (see my signature that's been there since 2018 at the least), here you finally give us some kind of thing to address the issue, and... you slap an EXTREME fuel consumption/heat penalty on it such that you can't even shave 25% of the time for a typical 110k ls journey before you're out of fuel and heatsinks?

This is like ship transfer all over again, why must QOL additions to the game addressing player sore spots be like pulling teeth?

Oh, and of 'course' the thing can't be engineered - because having the insanely long unlock & material grind to gain benefits shouldn't apply to this, that would be too fun and make too much sense for investment in the game, heaven forbid.
Remember we the players chose the ship transfer option we have over the instant version and I am still very happy to have been on the winning side of that choice.

This isn’t a cruise everywhere quick module it is a great big afterburner like you saw on military fast jets which lets you go fast at the expense of not being able to go for long.

I don't think so. AFAIK, it's something custom that'll need Logitech software to work.
I believe that the Logitech "intelligence" sits in the software, not the stick itself, so you're probably right. On a Virpil HOTAS, you have the intelligence sitting on the stick, that means you can program the mode switch + a button to act as a virtual button. E.g. <mode 1> + <button 1> = <virtual button 1> and <mode 2> + <button 1> = <virtual button 2>

To what end? You guys do this constantly, thinking that being intentionally vague and opaque about your game somehow equates to greater engagement. It doesn't.

You release these undocumented mysteries thinking it will result in some great "A-ha!" moments on the part of the player base at large. Instead, only a very small number of the player base typically deconstructs or solves your "puzzles" in a matter of hours or a few days (and you always underestimate your players and seem surprised they figure it out so quickly, yet you go and do it again and again).

Then, through social media, it becomes common knowledge, negating your claim of "wanting us to experience it for ourselves". That claim only applies to about a dozen players in the vanguard of solving the "mystery" who then post their results for all to see. Then the rest of the current players all get the memo and have incorporated the new functionality or new reveal into their play without having "experienced it for themselves" (defeating your stated goal).

However, social media being the here-today-gone-tomorrow phenomenon it is, new players who join the game after the reveal has faded into Internet obscurity just wind up frustrated and confused due to the lack of in-game documentation. Now they have to go search for it. Which means, while they're searching, they're not playing your game. Brilliant move!

It's a common criticism repeated over and over again on the E:D sub-reddit where such complaints aren't so easily removed: "Why doesn't the game tell me how to do XYZ?" I'm not talking overarching hand-holding here; instead, it's the little things such as simple ship functions for which there's no documentation, instruction, nor tutorial. It leaves new players unnecessarily frustrated and perplexed with the same questions about the most basic of functions asked over and over and over again on a daily basis.

Or the other complaint: "Why do I (the new player) have to open half a dozen browser windows' worth of YouTube tutorials and 3rd-party websites just to discover basic stuff about the game that should already be included in it?" Even a simple roll-over / mouse hover pop-up tutorial mode that tells players what each menu item in their ship does would be a huge improvement. I know it's too late in the game to ever see that happen, but let's not add to the existing confusion with yet another undocumented ship function.

The game is already complex enough as it is; no reason to artificially make it more so. Yet here you are adding another "Figure it out yourself because we couldn't be bothered to write two sentences about how Supercruise Overcharge works". That doesn't draw new players in; that turns them off to the game. It's not binary; there's plenty more to the game to draw them in. But once so drawn in by the immersion and beauty of Elite:Dangerous, they run up against that wall of obtuse obfuscation that leaves them justifiably frustrated over all the little things for which no in-game guidance nor explanation exists.

Basic Documentation 101. And, no, the Codex doesn't cut it; it's not broad enough nor granular enough and it, too, is yet another buried resource one has to go digging through to find anything relevant versus placing the explanation at the first point of contact (i.e. player hovers over or highlights ship menu item, pop-up tells them what that menu item does; once they feel they've become familiar with all the controls and menus they can simply turn tutorial mode off). You're sitting on this gold mine of a game, yet repeatedly undermine your own product by making it less accessible to new players than it has to be.

Why the big mystery? No one cares about the mystery. They care about being able to purchase and equip a module to their ship that will (hopefully) greatly reduce their boring Supercruise transit times. Why not just give them the information they need to make that happen rather than burying it behind the excuse of, "There are some things we want you to experience for yourselves." Like what? Eats up your fuel at a greatly accelerated rate? Using it draws the Thargoids' attention to your ship? Use it too long and its integrity degrades? Etc., etc., etc. Those are fine; players can discover those for themselves. But not telling us how it functions, how to activate it, its perfomance stats? What purpose is served withholding that information?

And, no, I'm not a new player; I've put 11,000 hours into the game. But I'm very active on the E:D sub-reddit and see the same questions, the same confusion, the same frustration voiced by new players over and over and over on the daily for years now. It doesn't have to be this way. You're not endearing yourself to new players with this approach of being intentionally vague. Would it really be that hard to just come right out and say, "To activate Supercruise Overcharge, do XYZ" or, "Here's an explanation of how the new Supercruise Overcharge works" ?
Amen & well said, I've had the same observations throughout my Elite experience & in the process of answering those questions that new players have (which I've preserved a large trove of bookmarks to that end).

Information obscuration is an extremely bad habit in game development and every single time I witness it, it is an outright negative to the game experience for everyone concerned - no matter what form it takes.

FSD booster is an essential addition, my Clipper's doing 10ly and thanks to star distances it's 15 jumps back to the carrier 20ly away 😂 I'ma go put the 5A back on and have the 5C couriered over!

To make use of this drive I think an FSD booster & heatsinks are essential, and an extra fuel tank is probably wise.

I'll do a lil tinkering then go try and get interdicted by some Thargoids. For science.

Back
Top Bottom