Update 4 Orange Sidewinder Workaround and Investigation

Oh dear :( Did you not even see the latest fix update available to you? Or did it run the update and still then failed? I'll be absolutely honest with you, I am very low on knowledge about GforceNOW so I'll need to look into this properly (although someone in the team will help me, I'm sure).
With good connection is Elite quite nicely playable through this nvidia stream service (horizons on ultra, odyssey on little lower graphic setting to keep fps decent). I use steam account there and it worked so far very well ... except today. But have for you a good news: game started this time and Im going discard long list of failed missions. Sigh.

Thanks for all your support in this, really appreciate it!

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
With good connection is Elite quite nicely playable through this nvidia stream service (horizons on ultra, odyssey on little lower graphic setting to keep fps decent). I use steam account there and it worked so far very well ... except today. But have for you a good news: game started this time and Im going discard long list of failed missions. Sigh.

Thanks for all your support in this, really appreciate it!

AT THE VERY LEAST, I am SO happy you are finally in game. o7 Commander!!!!!!

I'm reposting my other post here, in case it helps anyone. :)

Thanks Sally for the great work! Here is what fixed the Orange Sidewinder for me.

1) In the ED launcher selected Options | Validate game files
2) --> This ran for ten minutes and gave me an "Incorrect manifest checksum" error
3) I launched ED but still got the Orange Sidewinder
4) I closed out of everything then in Steam did a Verify integrity of game files
5) Then in the ED launcher I did Options | Validate game files again. It seemed to work this time.
6) --> I launched ED and was able to get in the game normally

Have a great day! :)
That was the only thing that worked... PLUS DISABLING the Virtual Cache in the ED Launcher

Done 1) 2) 3)... didn't get Orange Sidewinder after "3"

On Steam. After Update 4, I could only log into Horizons. Logging into Odyssey got Orange Sidewinder.

I fixed this with the Elite Launcher: Turn off Enable Cache Check, Validate Game Files, Start Client and & Logged in okay

After the latest patch from Steam, I only got Orange Sidewinder again from Odyssey.

Currently redoing my fix.

I know this is demanding. I'm dealing with demanding sysadmin issues meself right now so I have sympathy.

But please don't push out a fix that breaks things again.

Couldn't get in due to the orange sidewinder error.

Did the Turn off Enable Cache Check, Validate Game Files > was able to log in again.
Thx for providing a workaround.

@sallymorganmoore I'm getting a constant orange sidewinder error on ps4 and can't login to the game. Could you move my commander from the Atlas system to the Electra system please? I'm stuck on a strangers fleet carrier!🖖Thanks

So I woke up this morning and immediately logged in and was able to jump out of Atlas. I'm in Leesti with my fleet carrier. If someone at frontier helped, then Big Thanks ! 👍👌

Orange Sidewinder when exiting hyperspace or super cruse. Also when attempting to complete assassination missions. Any fix for these? Yes, I'm using Steam and have attempted the work arounds suggested.

Last edited:
Greetings Commanders.

Thanks for your patience and diligence in helping us narrow down a cause for the ongoing 'Orange Sidewinder' issues being faced today, when attempting to play Elite Dangerous Odyssey following the deployment of Update 4 (primarily affecting Steam users).

We're not out of the woods with it just yet, but thanks to your help we have confirmed along with many Commanders active in discussions, that the following workaround holds a good chance of getting you back in game.

We are naturally continuing to look into a full solution in the meantime.

Workaround (thank you again o7):
  • Open the Elite Dangerous Steam launcher.
  • Select Options > Validate Game Files.
  • You should now be able to play.

• AS AN ADDITIONAL step to try (thank you to several Commanders more on this), some success has been found by disabling the Elite Dangerous Cache prior to validating:
    • Steam > Settings from the top left client menu.
    • In the Settings panel, select the Downloads tab and you'll find the "Clear Download Cache" button at the bottom.
    • Then select "OK" to confirm and acknowledge that you'll need to login to Steam again.

We currently believe that the reason why loading screen timeouts and 'Orange Sidewinders' are occurring, is because some of the resource files for Odyssey appear to have initially deployed to Steam incorrectly, during the update process.

Please do let us know if this does not work for you and we will reach out for some extra info, to try and narrow down on the issue further.

Similarly do also let us know if you're experiencing these issues as a non Steam launcher user, as we continue to look into a full solution as a priority.

Thank you so much for your support.

o7
Unfortunately this has not worked for me. And to be honest, Elite may be a good game, Horizons a good update this is just ridiculous.

Ouch...Ok perhaps in your case you may need to bear with us until we get the solid fix on our side to push. We'll obviously let you know when that it. Huge o7 for the patience.
I've got other things to do. IE purchase games that work. Not a criticism just a bit old for all this nonsense. Requested a refund from Steam.

Top Bottom