Track Rides Usable Roads

I had a pretty extensive road network going through my resort, made up of asphalt paths that guests cannot use. By placing several studio tour tracks beneath the roads the resort has come alive and the results are delightful!

I especially like how the trams can stop at intersections. Now we just need more vehicle variety.

[video=youtube_share;cd9LHG2oZ1w]https://youtu.be/cd9LHG2oZ1w[/video]

Thanks wowman. As you know, you can place track under a path (with collision disabled) but not vice versa. That's the biggest pain, as I had to tweak my "roads" in several places after I placed the track. That meant deleting portions of track in order to edit the paths/roads/parking. And when I did that, more than once a station somewhere would disappear. It was strange.

Oh, and the stations are their own beast. Obviously, they cannot sit on top of paths, so they gotta be covered up.

Something that may make it easier than using paths to cover is to use the smaller billboards and find a texture online that is a good road texture. This gives you way more flexibility and also can size the roads differently. Basically placing the BB down as a ground cover. I do it all the time in my parks.

I don't have an issue with them is they are images. Its when you use multiple videos that issues start up with that

Thanks wowman. As you know, you can place track under a path (with collision disabled) but not vice versa. That's the biggest pain, as I had to tweak my "roads" in several places after I placed the track. That meant deleting portions of track in order to edit the paths/roads/parking. And when I did that, more than once a station somewhere would disappear. It was strange.

Oh, and the stations are their own beast. Obviously, they cannot sit on top of paths, so they gotta be covered up.

I had a similar issue and found a solution that was more convenient than deleting track:

I built a 2-piece building - two flat roof pieces adjacent to each other. Then I split them into two buildings. One building I used as a reference height, the other was used to multi-select with the track. Then I could advance move the track+building high enough so the track did not interfere with paths or anything else. After my edits, again multi-select track+building and move them down. The two flat roofs provide a reference to restore the track to its original vertical location. If the roofs are located close to the advanced move arrows, this is easy (if not, move the roofs to a better location before moving the track).

Now we just need more vehicle variety.

Yep. And good find! Paths do make good roads, and your video shows that. I've been using both the pavement pieces from Studios, and the concrete terrain texture for roads. Both are good quality road textures, the scenery pieces offering nicely fine-tuned levels of grey so you can get new and old road looks.
Now just put traffic lights and triggers.

Something that may make it easier than using paths to cover is to use the smaller billboards and find a texture online that is a good road texture. This gives you way more flexibility and also can size the roads differently. Basically placing the BB down as a ground cover. I do it all the time in my parks.

That's a great idea!

Redrum:
I tried messing with traffic lights but I didn't like how you cannot see the lights during the day, and at night they only throw color, the lights themselves don't really seem to light up that much. Although, that could be different for some of the new pieces in the Studios set, like the police lights that seem to have a more clear on/off state.

Paul:
Thanks!

I had a similar issue and found a solution that was more convenient than deleting track:

I built a 2-piece building - two flat roof pieces adjacent to each other. Then I split them into two buildings. One building I used as a reference height, the other was used to multi-select with the track. Then I could advance move the track+building high enough so the track did not interfere with paths or anything else. After my edits, again multi-select track+building and move them down. The two flat roofs provide a reference to restore the track to its original vertical location. If the roofs are located close to the advanced move arrows, this is easy (if not, move the roofs to a better location before moving the track).

Does that work with burying stations under paths?

I tried messing with traffic lights but I didn't like how you cannot see the lights during the day, and at night they only throw color, the lights themselves don't really seem to light up that much.

I had the same problem. So I just now made some working traffic lights that are visible in daylight using boxlights embedded in the traffic lights piece. Here's the workshop link, you may find useful...

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1496786777

i love it!
Thanks Catty!

I had the same problem. So I just now made some working traffic lights that are visible in daylight using boxlights embedded in the traffic lights piece. Here's the workshop link, you may find useful...

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1496786777

Hey neat! I'll check them out.

Wow grass and the trees look almost real! Very well done.

Thank you Leti. I love the fact that you can really pack the trees in - much more realistic than on RCT3 where we had to space them out.

THx komb.

I just added a fourth shuttle route as a dummy system that guests cannot ride, but by placing underground stations at each end of the resort and leaving in test mode I'm able to now have every roadway actually in use. It's so fun watching the vehicles driving around, especially at night.

Top Bottom