Using Android Tablet as control surface for cockpit UI

Just a mad idea I've had, but how feasible would it be to use a tablet, connected by USB, as a control surface with the Cockpit UI elements (contacts, navigation, modules, cargo, status etc), The tablet would display the UI elements as they appear on the main monitor and use the touchscreen for selection and activation of options.

This would require:

- An app that allows a PC to use an android tablet as a control surface that produces standard keyboard inputs.
- A way of either:
-- transmitting the UI graphics from the PC to the tablet for display on it's screen.
-- setting up the app so that the display matches the Cockpit UI but is stored on the device.

Swiping could switch tabs, and tapping would select with the performed actions bound to the relevant keys for accessing the UI in game.

How easy/difficult would this be to do?

you can already do this with roccat powergrid, search for elite dangerous on their store, there are quite a few free fan made ones.

you install one program on your pc, one app on your tablet, select the layout you want from the store (all ED layouts are free) and your off!

the tablet connects via wifi and sends the commands to the game.

I personally use a program called TouchDown. Have not made a profile yet for ED but i use it for Arma, Cliffs of Dover and a few racing sims.

It was made as an a equivalent to TouchBuddy but does not require you to have a dedicated touch panel. Instead any device that can interact with a webpage is compatible.

You can make your own interfaces just like creating a simple webpage or you can actually use the TouchBuddy tools and it will convert it to be compatible. If you know some JScript it is also highly customizable.

It is no longer updated but it works perfectly fine (Ive personally had no problems) 'Does what it says on the tin'.

Playlist of TD tutorials

I personally use a program called TouchDown. Have not made a profile yet for ED but i use it for Arma, Cliffs of Dover and a few racing sims.

It was made as an a equivalent to TouchBuddy but does not require you to have a dedicated touch panel. Instead any device that can interact with a webpage is compatible.

You can make your own interfaces just like creating a simple webpage or you can actually use the TouchBuddy tools and it will convert it to be compatible. If you know some JScript it is also highly customizable.

It is no longer updated but it works perfectly fine (Ive personally had no problems) 'Does what it says on the tin'.

Playlist of TD tutorials

Now that looks very interesting if you wanna spend some time learning a bit....

Just a mad idea I've had, but how feasible would it be to use a tablet, connected by USB, as a control surface with the Cockpit UI elements (contacts, navigation, modules, cargo, status etc), The tablet would display the UI elements as they appear on the main monitor and use the touchscreen for selection and activation of options.

This would require:

- An app that allows a PC to use an android tablet as a control surface that produces standard keyboard inputs.
- A way of either:
-- transmitting the UI graphics from the PC to the tablet for display on it's screen.
-- setting up the app so that the display matches the Cockpit UI but is stored on the device.

Swiping could switch tabs, and tapping would select with the performed actions bound to the relevant keys for accessing the UI in game.

How easy/difficult would this be to do?

You can download the package for one I did for the Ipad here:

http://power-grid.roccat.org/en/Store/Grids/Games/Simulation/400/

i don't think OP requires something like that.
I think he means to having a secondary monitor ( or an ipad tablet) that shows panels informations and interact directly with them.

You suggested a sort of touchpad controls,and it's a bit different.

I'm all for features like this (as basically happens with flight simulators)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN_FDZX3iyc

In this case he uses an MFD cougar display,and it's very impressive :)

I think he means to having a secondary monitor ( or an ipad tablet) that shows panels informations and interact directly with them.

This, I would love to see something like this.
I do believe there is an E:D App coming but it'd be great if it included something like this.

I wonder if there a software that can just copy a pre-determined portion of one display onto another.

I think ISBoxer lets you do that, but it's based on screen coordinates, and in ED the view changes.

I've created a couple of powergrid screens which you're welcome to use and abuse.
More information on my website:
www.kingtiger.online/elite-dangerous-touchpad-control/

I plan to create something more complex in Touch Down as time allows. In the meantime feedback welcome.

WP_20170512_16_10_10_Pro-33uz7gkwwfm1x97lgabmdm.jpg

I've created a couple of powergrid screens which you're welcome to use and abuse.
More information on my website:
www.kingtiger.online/elite-dangerous-touchpad-control/

I plan to create something more complex in Touch Down as time allows. In the meantime feedback welcome.

http://www.kingtiger.online/wp-cont...70512_16_10_10_Pro-33uz7gkwwfm1x97lgabmdm.jpg

Looks good. Is your touch screen hooked up to the same PC as you play on, or another one/laptop/etc?

I've been using touch buddy, with a 10" usb touch screen running on the same pc... getting it running under win 10 takes a bit of fiddling with compatability settings but it does work. Is there an advantage to using touchdown with this system instead?

[Edit] Just looked at your web page and realised you're.doing this on roccat. Oh well.

Last edited:
Looks good. Is your touch screen hooked up to the same PC as you play on, or another one/laptop/etc?

I've been using touch buddy, with a 10" usb touch screen running on the same pc... getting it running under win 10 takes a bit of fiddling with compatability settings but it does work. Is there an advantage to using touchdown with this system instead?

[Edit] Just looked at your web page and realised you're.doing this on roccat. Oh well.

Touch buddy / touchdown is next on the todo list. I've got my 10" Android and a 13" 2in1 laptop and I'll be testing for both, although I imagine I'll publish for the tablet as that's a more common screen size for touch screens.

Touch buddy / touchdown is next on the todo list. I've got my 10" Android and a 13" 2in1 laptop and I'll be testing for both, although I imagine I'll publish for the tablet as that's a more common screen size for touch screens.

Yah 10" is the perfect size for it. I really dislike the idea of running a seperate device for it which is why I got the USB touchscreen monitor. Mine's a "Mimo Magic Touch", when I'm not gaming with it, it displays a google calendar with my work roster on it that syncs with my cellphone.
mimo-magic-touch-front.jpg

Top Bottom