Using Planet Coaster for a school project

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
So I'm going to be designing a theme park using Planet Coaster for my art subject at school, and so far the teacher's very interested in the potential of the game funnily enough. I'll use this opportunity to give a big thanks to the developers for creating such a nice game that can give not only fun opportunities for everyone but also the ability to create some amazing theme parks that can even be considered a unique medium for creating an artwork for educational purposes. Now, I'd want to create a theme park that would be as amazing as some of the parks being created on this forum but I'm unsure as to what I could create so I have some questions I'd like to ask you guys.

1. My project is due in September. Can we expect an update with more building content or even water before then? If not, my options are going to be a little limited.

2. If the above answer is no (or probably not), from what's currently available, should I go for a generic theme, classic theme , sci-fi theme (someone was able to create something amazing using signs and such in one of the community creation threads) or something else? So far I'm leaning towards something classic since there are many classic buildings to work on, and I've played enough with the whole pirate-esque objects so I want to try something different.

3. Is there any mind-blowing creation/s that would give me and other people on this forum some inspiration for something amazing?

Any ideas would be appreciated! [up]

My approach to themes is simple.. Pick a theme you want to have in your park. Then research that theme on google. Having an image of a particular building/theme allows you to use it as a reference to PC. You may not be able to make it 100% accurate, but it defiantly helps having the image to base your work on.

If I'm not mistaken the next alpha is in Aug? Not sure if they will implement water by then (I sure hope so!). I can imagine we will be given more objects to work with as far as theming is concerned.

"Using Planet Coaster for a school project" okay, but ... What for ? What is the purpose of the exercise ? To learn what ?

Really just curious.

"Using Planet Coaster for a school project" okay, but ... What for ? What is the purpose of the exercise ? To learn what ?

Really just curious.

Well the class is called Studio Arts Photography and I'm doing a year-long project involving research on various mediums and such which will lead to the actual creation of whatever we want. It's essentially an outcome that all students have to do in this subject and in my case, I've justified Planet Coaster as the medium I'll be using to make my "final artwork" which I plan on sketching small concepts of coaster designs and such then proceeding to turn these concepts to life in the game. It's not much of an exercise as it is an outcome much like most other artsy subjects. Some classmates are making photos, films and hand-crafted objects. I'll be using a folio to show the process of basically converting sketches of a theme park layout and making it in Planet Coaster as my final artwork, not to mention it's going to be some fun work to do.

Last edited:

DaveBamber

Frontier
Frontier
This is very cool to see!

I think you should start working as if you only have the tools in front of you, so you know you can finish your project regardless of what we do. Treat anything we add as more of a bonus!

Because its a formal project with a deadline, my advice would be to start small and do some experiments. Instead of doing a whole coaster or building at once, work on single features like cool archways, interesting drops, building fronts etc. This gives you a few advantages - you get a feel for how long each thing takes to make, and you get to pick your best experiments to turn into a whole theme that you are confident with. Just remember to give yourself a strict deadline for experimenting! (You'll never be 'finished' experimenting, so stick to the deadline)

You're already looking at the community creations forum, and I'm sure the members here could tell you about their favourites. We also did a feature video of some youtubers not too long ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DZN2-fybis

Best of Luck! Keep us up to date in the Community Creations :)

This is very cool to see!

I think you should start working as if you only have the tools in front of you, so you know you can finish your project regardless of what we do. Treat anything we add as more of a bonus!

Because its a formal project with a deadline, my advice would be to start small and do some experiments. Instead of doing a whole coaster or building at once, work on single features like cool archways, interesting drops, building fronts etc. This gives you a few advantages - you get a feel for how long each thing takes to make, and you get to pick your best experiments to turn into a whole theme that you are confident with. Just remember to give yourself a strict deadline for experimenting! (You'll never be 'finished' experimenting, so stick to the deadline)

You're already looking at the community creations forum, and I'm sure the members here could tell you about their favourites. We also did a feature video of some youtubers not too long ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DZN2-fybis

Best of Luck! Keep us up to date in the Community Creations :)

Man, I should keep up with my YouTube subscriptions more often because lots of those constructions were fantastic. I suppose I'll have an eye on a classic styled theme park to work with for now and I'll keep watching these types of videos as well as the community creations forum to see what other neat things people can make. Thanks for the video and the advice! [happy]

BTW there are a couple good tricks that can make, uh, "water", like using the blue roofs sunk into rocks or below ground level, and using the water fountain VFX for little waterfalls and whatnot. Used these soooooo many times already, though I'd advise staying away from big lakes and things (it takes forever!). Plus, since it's all one modular building, when real water gets added soon(tm), you can pull it all out in one go. Hope that helps a bit [squeeeeee]

Ardian said:
Using Planet Coaster for a school project
So I'm going to be designing a theme park using Planet Coaster for my art subject at school, and so far the teacher's very interested in the potential of the game funnily enough...

Open full quote

site to write my paper now

Hi Ardian, can you please share your project here? I need help with the lab tasks for my high school students. I'm a lab assistant and soon I will have to be in charge of our Design club (parents supported the idea too). Our club initiative willl be based on the Disney's Imagineering on Khan Academy a course on theme park design

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
@TerryLewis hi! You have replied to a thread that was posted almost 4 years ago! The user hasn’t been active since 2016, so I’m going to call this a necro of a thread, and will close it now.

Good luck with your project!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom