UV seam & normal map issue

Hello!

I am in process of finishing a new mushroom.

I had to add a seam along the hat side because when I made it a "circle" it got too stretched on the top.
In Blender it looked fine! This is the side with the seam. I have plugged in the Normal map. However not the AO map as I thought it was enough with the built in render. I also added the flexicolor masks.

The normal map was baked from a higher poly model with grooves along the swirl edge AO likewise.

This picture show the game model, not the high res version.

unknown.png

In game however, you can see the seam very clearly in dark with sharp lamps, but also in daylight. I will only show how it looks in dark because that's the worst.

unknown.png

Any ideas of what could have gone wrong?
I exported the FBX with binary, the "expertimental" mode on and mesh only. (2.79, I always use this method)

(the mushroom to left was the old one with the "circle" UV that got stretched out on top)

And here's the export files. [blah]*deleted*

Attachments

• Toppy - Export.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
(I am also a little annoyed with how the SM map behaves in game, haha, it looks almost inverted on the hat, but normal on the foot, but it is same map, lol)

The problem is, that your texture isn't seamless. Maybe you've used a seamless texture for the object, but in the UV-Wrap it doesn't fit really.

Spanky, can you specify exactly where? In Blender and another software it looks seamless and nice.

I tried another export with only the normal map and no other texture and the problem is still there.
The other maps works as they should.

In the software I use I baked the normal map based on Tangent space and set for DirectX output.

Have you checked this tutorial, it explains a lot about texturing:

[video=youtube;scPSP_U858k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scPSP_U858k[/video]

Just out of frustration I made 2 different exports, with UV map ONLY. I tried first the DirectX setting as I presume Planet coaster run on DirectX, RIGHT? That gave me troubles. As you can see in above examples..
Then I ran.... OpenGL for normal map..... and voilá, the seams are gone, it all looks nice!

I am so confused. I thought PlanCo would have DirectX?!

I should be like "let's be good here, no messing it up now, it works, if it is wrong technically, but it works, it is magic" but at same time I am puzzled and want to know why. HA!

Top Bottom