Roller Coasters Valhalla [Not Recreation] - Project

0WxwG

0WxwG

aix2c2K.jpg

[This is not a representation of the final ride, things will be added/removed as construction continues]

Hi,

This is a new project i have started which is called "Valhalla", a water coaster ride which takes you through the 4 elements of ice, wind, fire and snow. This project is based heavily on the Valhalla Water Ride at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, UK however it is not a recreation!

While the ride and scenes inside it are created by myself there are a few workshop items that helped me out, but i am trying to do as much as possible on my own.

The ride starts in an old log cabin style station with a very medieval/viking feel to it. This is because the ride in real life is based on the Viking story Valhalla and i also chose this theme because the boats on the "water coaster" look very similar to the viking boats used on the real life ride.

Sk9Enxd.jpg

Vd1DJzJ.jpg

XOzk5xz.jpg

The station is large but plain. At the end of the queue you enter the station and are immediately greeted with a viking long ship covered in flames. As you walk across towards the gates there is a staff control box up high. This is very similar to the real life station and it is where the display sequences/cctv will be placed for all the in ride events/effects for easy access.

tMjGZTo.jpg

xwB0Scs.jpg

DMeS7Tt.jpg

2WDMCKB.jpg

JT8PcBK.jpg

nTy7pbq.jpg

Lighting in the station consists of small ball lights with torches on the exterior walls. There is a hugh flag with the rides logo high up on the wall along with tv screens warning peeps that they will get very wet, again just like the real life station.

As the boat departs you float across a small tight channel with another viking ship to the left and spray from the waterfall. Approching the skulls mouth a waterfall appears however this gets turned off to allow the boat to pass through without getting the peeps too wet. You then enter the first scene, a temple styled ruin with flames and a jeep. Turning left you approach the first lift hill.

VpoOaNY.jpg

nQ8XTvs.jpg

BeZoEm3.jpg

GDZHola.jpg

FBOy8V2.jpg

2TFtrey.jpg

iJzP3WN.jpg
#

Currently there is a sequencer marked "emergency lights" which you can see in the control box picture. The idea of this is that should work need carried out on the ride such as scene improvements, i can go to this sequencer and simply set it to continuous. This turns off all the rides effects and lights, providing a simple white light across all areas of the ride. This is taking a great deal of time however from a creating point of view it is very handy, especially when the whole ride gets put under the terrain cover which i mentioned below, this will very dark day and night and could make improvements difficult, so that's why i am placing this emergency lighting circuit across the ride!

You can see these lights dimmed on the lift hill, there is actually small box lights right behind these which light up when the emergency sequencer is activated.

The next part will be scene 2 which is a straight tunnel meant to feel like a steam room with waterfalls close at each side of the track, similar to the real life ride - Then the first splash down hill.

All of the above pictures are not 100% complete yet, there is still a great deal of work left in the station and exterior facade.

This is a long project as i'm only doing it in my spare time. I am planning on adding a separate perimeter wall to the whole ride when complete which will allow me to use the terrain tool and enclose the main ride area inside it, keeping it dark during the day.

Thanks!

Last edited:
UPDATE: Emergency Lighting / FX Sequencers

While it may not look like much this is an extremely time consuming process trying to make "ON" / "OFF" switches for every single FX & Lights within this ride. Shown below is an example of being able to control the exterior facade. You can also see individual parts of the ride (Scenes) which can also be switched on/off for maintenance.

Using this i am able to switch off all the effects for a few reasons:

1) If playing on challenge this ride already has an insane monthly running cost and its only partly built, to save money certain areas of the ride can be switched off. This is a similar technique used in real life by parks. Sometimes they turn off areas to save money or for maintenance.

2) When improving a scene within the ride turning off the effects can improve fps and allow for a white light across every area.

Once i have turned off the area i want to work in, i simply use the emergency light sequencer which works the very same as the one shown in the picture. Turning this on activates all the white lights across the ride allowing for work to be carried out.

bXsT5SS.jpg

kSJavz1.jpg

My reason for spending time on this area is because i am never satisfied with what i build... Sometimes i finish a ride, play with it for a few hours then decide i want to change things again. With this being a dark ride which will eventually be covered by terrain, having this system makes my life easier when i want to edit parts :)

Top Bottom