Valve Index or HP Reverb G2

Though the G2 is a great headset I will say while you do get use to the grey blacks over time the OLED blacks of headsets like the Oculus and even the Samsung Odyssey really are a lot more immersive. If there is ever a G3 I would love to see 140 FOV + OLED, a headphone jack and volume button. I can dreammm! :love:

Though the G2 is a great headset I will say while you do get use to the grey blacks over time the OLED blacks of headsets like the Oculus and even the Samsung Odyssey really are a lot more immersive. If there is ever a G3 I would love to see 140 FOV + OLED, a headphone jack and volume button. I can dreammm! :love:
The Oculus Quest 2 uses LED screen tech just like the HP Reverb G2

I don't have the money for more than one headset. I swapped my CV1 for a G2. I made a stupid mistake. I put on my new headset and Elite looked ultra wonderful. I thought "Jesus Christ!". It's a massive step up from my previous headset, but the game was totally unplayable... a series of picture postcards

What I did was forget that I no longer needed supersampling. Once I dropped the resolution the game was more playable. All it did was make me hanker for a beefier graphics card, which is a bit of a downer in this current climate

So maybe a supersampled Facebook Quest 2 headset looks just as good as an unsampled HP Reverb G2, but what about if the G2 was also supersampled?

Of course folks may not have the power to supersample the G2. But then that brings up the question about whether you expect your headset to last as long as the next time you upgrade your graphics card
I have a RTX 3070 OC and a G2. EDO, WMR and SteamVR all resample the image, so my philosophy has been to first get all the settings as I want them, Ultra to Medium, depending on whether I can see any difference, and I set AA and supersampling off. Then in SteamVR settings, I lower the game specific resolution to about ~50% until I get a decent fps. Slightly blurry compared to 4K, but the games eye candy pops out, and having had a CV1, I appreciate the lack of screen door effect.

I'd love to see this game through the G2 on a future 4090 TI Super Deluxe, once I can buy one of those without selling a kidney and my firstborn child, which will probably be around 3300 A.D. :alien:

Not sure about that.
Very slightly worse maybe? I've stopped noticing it anyway. Though I did come from a CV1 which has very noticable SDE.

I will have to trust you on that one, I did not have side by side comparison, I played on OQ2 with my nephews, who got it as a Christmas present, and I got back to my G2 a couple days later, so it wasnt side by side comparison... I just remember, that the picture quality was really much worse on OQ2... And it should be, the resolution is like 50% of that of G2...

Without doubt the G2 is the bestest HMD for cockpit/sim games like ED. And the Q2's stand alone picture quality is much worse.

Please forgive the following bit of white-knighting, for a FB product no less!
G2 is 2160 x 2160 per eye and the Q2 is 1832 x 1920 per eye so my maths says the Q2 has just over 75% pixels of the G2 not 50%. Also the lense quality of the Q2 is meant to be better than G2. So :p
<-- Will now go and report himself to the mods

Without doubt the G2 is the bestest HMD for cockpit/sim games like ED. And the Q2's stand alone picture quality is much worse.

G2 is 2160 x 2160 per eye and the Q2 is 1832 x 1920 per eye so my maths says the Q2 has just over 75% pixels of the G2 not 50%. Also the lense quality of the Q2 is meant to be better than G2. So :p

LOL, youre right, I didnt do the math... I guess part of the problem with Q2 is, that most of the games are optimized for that little chipset that sits on your head, wheras my G2 is powered by massive computing power of 6900XT, which itself weights like 5x more that the whole Q2 headset including controllers...

Yeah, I guess Q2 is a little technological marvel...

But I still prefer my G2 for sim playing...

Now if youll excuse me, I have a high horse to ride... :)

I just upgraded from a CV1 to a G2, and absolutely love it. Even with my 1080 Ti, it works reasonably well, even though you have to make some compromises in terms of supersampling and details.

Only small downside is the field of view. I got an aftermarket mask that slightly reduces the diving goggles effect, but it still is very notable.

The FOV of the CV1 with the clarity and crispness of the G2 lenses - that would be the perfect VR headset!

As some asked - I paid €485 for my G2, controller included. As expected, Amazon Warehouse Deals had plenty of them a few weeks after Christmas.

I just upgraded from a CV1 to a G2, and absolutely love it. Even with my 1080 Ti, it works reasonably well, even though you have to make some compromises in terms of supersampling and details.

Only small downside is the field of view. I got an aftermarket mask that slightly reduces the diving goggles effect, but it still is very notable.

The FOV of the CV1 with the clarity and crispness of the G2 lenses - that would be the perfect VR headset!

As some asked - I paid €485 for my G2, controller included. As expected, Amazon Warehouse Deals had plenty of them a few weeks after Christmas.
There is great guide for all the graphic settings that helped me optimize my experience:

https://www.edtutorials.com/general/elite-dangerous-graphic-settings-fully-explained/

I'm going to disagree on this one, the Varjo Aero is both a better picture, higher resolution and, in the FS2020 comparison to a G2, the Aero actually gives better fps. Been seriously tempted by this. If I didn't already have a G1 I would definitely buy it but it's just not quite worth the spend over what I already have IMO:

BTW, I've used the Q2 - It's not as nice a picture, by a long way, as my G1.

Last edited:
I'm going to disagree on this one, the Varjo Aero is both a better picture, higher resolution and, in the FS2020 comparison to a G2, the Aero actually gives better fps.
Fair dinkum!

BTW, I've used the Q2 - It's not as nice a picture, by a long way, as my G1.
The Q2 has 75.1% of the pixels of the G's so it will have a noticeably less nice a picture.
That said, a PC tethered Q2 visual-wise should still be way up there and when I push that slider all the way to the right to make it native (obvs anything less is less that Q2 native), I'm blown away by the quality. So yes, G2 is defo going to he amazing.
But for fairness and just asking, were you using the Q2 with the slider all the way to the right?

I've got the Odyssey+ and the HP G2. The G2 is superior in every way.

Uh, I have a G2 that I cannot use..yet. I tried but my machine wasn't strong enough which I knew going in. I pre-ordered the G2 and didn't realize that the pandemic/mining was going to bork video card availability. I finally have parts incoming and hope to be built and up and running in a week our two.
I'm limping along in Odyssey on a 980ti and Rift S after update 10 but I cannot wait to strap on the G2 playing the expansion.

Uh, I have a G2 that I cannot use..yet. I tried but my machine wasn't strong enough which I knew going in. I pre-ordered the G2 and didn't realize that the pandemic/mining was going to bork video card availability. I finally have parts incoming and hope to be built and up and running in a week our two.
I'm limping along in Odyssey on a 980ti and Rift S after update 10 but I cannot wait to strap on the G2 playing the expansion.
Can't you lower the slider to the equiv of the Rift? Sure the resolution won't be higher but the picture quality will be better simply because the pixel density of the G2 is so high.

Theoretically, if you go through Steam VR to use the Rift (Rift because it is 90Hz like the G2) and take a note of the performance, and then switch to the G2 using SteamVR and set the resolution slider to closely match the Rift's resolution, there should be very little (if any) performance difference. But unlike the Rift which has shocking SDE you wont get any. :)
I only know this because I have had to do the same, just using the Quest 2.

And when you upgrade, you can push that slider back up. Sweeet! :)

Top Bottom