Horizons very concerned about changes

Hello

I recently watched a video discussion with one of the developers. They were disussing long range exploration and how lowering weight of a ship increases its jump range. They also discussed how many explorers run without weapons. The FD gentleman with the beard, sorry i forget his name, said something about how that is all going to change. This infers to me that its not going to be possible to carry out long range exploration without the threat of being attacked. This is a major game changer, will it mean that it will become impossible to reach Beagle point? Will it be impossible to make the jump range needed becaues ships need to be armed now? Will it even be possible to travel that far without being able to dock for repairs?

I think FD need to be very carefull with this. I have not yet made the trip to Sag A or Beagle Point, but i intend to in the future. If FD now change the game to make this impossible, i suspect that i may just uninstall the game in total disgust and i suspect a fair % of others will too.

Does anyone have any further information on these changes?

What are peoples opinions on these changes?

Regards
Max

I suggest you take a look at the Distant Worlds threads, and take note of what players have managed to get to Beagle Point so far. There are several armed Anacondas on the trip, along with many short-range ships. If we have to explore armed, it is going to slow things down, but except for the very fringes of the galaxy, it isn't going to stop anyone going anywhere - particularly when you take 'jumponium' into account.

Last edited:
Anything that makes exploration less routine, less samey, less reliably safe, I'm in favour of.
Hazards in deep space should be things that can be countered or avoided with skill and experience and cleverness (ie not random things you can't defend against), but more variance in our tales of near-disaster on the expedition, that's a good thing. Things should generally be fairly routine but not to the point where we don't need to be on our toes.

The possibility of decreased jump-range is more than offset by the increased jump-range from jumponium, so that's not inherently a problem, though balance factors might still need work.

The trip to Sag A* will never be impossible - people already bring guns to Sag A*.

(Personally, I don't usually explore without guns and shields. They don't weigh all that much, they don't drop your range very much. You don't have to go nuts and max out your hardpoints and get the heaviest shield you can fit, just get enough to have options. I explore as an expedition/adventure, which to me means being prepared for any eventuality :D )

Last edited:
Hello

I recently watched a video discussion with one of the developers. They were disussing long range exploration and how lowering weight of a ship increases its jump range. They also discussed how many explorers run without weapons. The FD gentleman with the beard, sorry i forget his name, said something about how that is all going to change. This infers to me that its not going to be possible to carry out long range exploration without the threat of being attacked. This is a major game changer, will it mean that it will become impossible to reach Beagle point? Will it be impossible to make the jump range needed becaues ships need to be armed now? Will it even be possible to travel that far without being able to dock for repairs?

I think FD need to be very carefull with this. I have not yet made the trip to Sag A or Beagle Point, but i intend to in the future. If FD now change the game to make this impossible, i suspect that i may just uninstall the game in total disgust and i suspect a fair % of others will too.

Regards
Max

I believe it is inevitable that certain regions of space will become more dangerous and exciting when the Thargoids are set loose.
Rather sooner than later as far as I am concerned.
You could still travel unarmed. Perhaps you will be able to escape :).

Perhaps a ship with lower jump range could use mechanisms like crafting to increase it's jump range.
And perhaps it simply is not wise to travel to certain regions in ships that are not up to what is going to be there.

We will have to adapt to the new circumstances and I think that is a cool thing.

I have not yet made the trip to Sag A or Beagle Point, but i intend to in the future. If FD now change the game to make this impossible, i suspect that i may just uninstall the game in total disgust and i suspect a fair % of others will too.

That is such a weird statement to me.
This is a game.
Challenges are added that will enhance game play and all you can think of is to quit?
Incomprehensible.

And you don't even know yet what is going to happen.
You whine in advance.
Just don't get it at all.

I do not believe "a fair %" will follow your lead at all. You might very well be the only one.

Last edited:
Hello

Regards
Max
Space being more dangerous kinda makes sense, but I think they also implied not just stuff you need to combat directly.

That said I seriously doubt that it will be that bad, at best you need to outfit your ship for running, and a weak bi-weave + chaff or countermeasure or such should be fine for that depending naturally on 'how' dangerous it is.

I made trip to sag A a year ago. And the best thing on that trip wasn't the sag A, the money or rank progression or those lovely views and planets i found. The best part of my trip was when i jumped to system with 3 stars close to each other. 2 of those stars were so close that I flew through star B when exiting jump to star A. I just saw it and everything was yellow. I was between too stars and heat was high. I managed to escape and get my ship cool, but i lost about 50% of my hull, about half health of canopy (canopy didn't have health indicator), and several modules were heavily damaged. That was the most exiting thing on that trip. I would like to see some other dancers if i head back to the unknown space.

This change only ends in more depth being added to the game.
There is currently zero risk in exploration , it needs some.

Please don't panic just yet, exploration will always be possible either armed or not armed, it needs to be dangerous, just how dangerous remains to be seen, I would have thought that with the announcement of the possibilities of actually finding additional lost colonies & alien races (and not just the Thargoids) that this was implied, we could also have jump point miscalculations letting us exit too close to a star/back hole etc etc, at the end of the day, it will add an additional challenge to explorers, it will also make CMDRs think a little more on what modules our ships will need in order to survive exploration, I can only see this as a positive and welcome change for the game.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

Perhaps i was a little hasty. I see your points. I guess it all depends on how risky its made. I may be wrong but i think i rememeber reading that of the 1000 that set off on the distant worlds expedition only 25% made it. If that is correct, what would the % be if they were having to dodge thargoids for most of the journey? Whatever the dangers are going to be, i hope it will be possible to evade them without taking damage, even a small amount of damage will mount up over time causing the player to either head home early or abandon the journey. I would rather voice my fears before it happens than wait and see and then be hit by a 'OMG THEY DIDDNT' moment, lol.

Regards
Max

I hope we get plenty of warning before anything comes out so we have a chance to get back and sell our data. Would be a huge pity to loose everything because of an update.

I hope we get plenty of warning before anything comes out so we have a chance to get back and sell our data. Would be a huge pity to loose everything because of an update.

I am sure FD will not let that happen. They will make amends if you get stuck in a system because of patch changes. You can be assured of that.

They might dance with glee at the thought of every explorer making a bricking-it sprint back to the bubble... that'd be a lot of excitement for sure. Let's hope whoever finds it first doesn't actually kick the hornet's nest!

Remember the gun ports being open is a sign of respect!

Thanks for the replies.

Perhaps i was a little hasty. I see your points. I guess it all depends on how risky its made. I may be wrong but i think i rememeber reading that of the 1000 that set off on the distant worlds expedition only 25% made it. If that is correct, what would the % be if they were having to dodge thargoids for most of the journey? Whatever the dangers are going to be, i hope it will be possible to evade them without taking damage, even a small amount of damage will mount up over time causing the player to either head home early or abandon the journey. I would rather voice my fears before it happens than wait and see and then be hit by a 'OMG THEY DIDDNT' moment, lol.

Regards
Max

But more importantly, how many of those CMDRs simply were not prepared or simply underestimated the requirements of the journey (game time, modules, fuel etc etc), there are modules that will assist CMDRs to aid repairs of there ships (with the exception of hull and Power) if they receive damage either naturally or in battle.

Bottom line is, plan plan plan plan.

Fly safe CMDRs
CMDR SOS4Biz

Thanks for the replies.

Regards
Max

We already have canopy repair and AFMU refill, just need to add option for hull repair and we are set.

I don't know but i would say that time is the biggest factor why many cmdrs didn' t make it. Because if they died because of bug support would have refund their insurance cost and teleport their ship back to system where he/she died. And while exploring bugs are only way to lose your ship (if you don't go full and boost towards and hit planet/asteroid) as heat damage kill so slowly that you can escape it easily and there is no other way to die.

If he cryptically said that that is going to change, then to me that means it's because we will NEED weapons way out there ... wonder why? :)

It would be nice if whatever the threat, it was limited to certain areas.

For example, knowing a certain nebula has valuable/interesting astronomical stuff to scan but is also likley home to a hostile force. You'd have to actually weigh up wether it's worth the risk. And for explorers who don't want the risk of combat, just avoid the nebula/sector/whatever. Imagine the thrill of seeing a beautiful nebula, but knowing it's the Thargoids' back yard, taking the chance and sneaking through to get the exploration data/screenies.

I think the worst outcome could be if it's some omnipresent force that could spawn at any location and gank you at will. It just wouldn't feel right.

It would be nice if whatever the threat, it was limited to certain areas.

For example, knowing a certain nebula has valuable/interesting astronomical stuff to scan but is also likley home to a hostile force. You'd have to actually weigh up wether it's worth the risk. And for explorers who don't want the risk of combat, just avoid the nebula/sector/whatever. Imagine the thrill of seeing a beautiful nebula, but knowing it's the Thargoids' back yard, taking the chance and sneaking through to get the exploration data/screenies.

I think the worst outcome could be if it's some omnipresent force that could spawn at any location and gank you at will. It just wouldn't feel right.

I would be fine if it was kept to set areas of space and there still were spaces where there weren't hostile aliens, your idea of nebula or specific sectors being inhabited would be great. But honestly I have a feeling Frontier won't actually go to that effort to do that and instead will just populate all space with insanely powerful enemy ships at random intervals to satisfy the vocal "its too easy" group. I mean look at how AI handle interdictions now, they don't follow any of the cool down rules that we have to, they can just dog you untill you leave the system and I have a feeling at some point frontier will make them follow you after that too.

Last edited:
On my voyage to the core I took an asp and it was armed to the teeth, it had shields and shield cells. I didnt know what I might encounter out there, I thought I might have to fight for my claim with another cmdr. I never regretted it and I only used my wepons twice, once on the way out at about 700ly and on the way back in komovoy, both npc pirates.. both died. I would like there to be more out there and black holes should be scary not just prety!

I wasnt about to go weeks out into the black unprepared. The devs have sayed from the beggining that there is ''stuff'' out there and I was not taking any chances!

Top Bottom