virtual desktop and similar programs

hi,

do any of you guys use virtual desktop (or similar) while playing e:d so you can easily switch to websites like inara without putting down your headset?
does it affect your fps/ performance in e:d?

I use shadowgame when I work away from home that's all

And if I'm playing on my main desktop I can minimise ED any time to use another screen. If you play in borderless mode you can have two screens and move your mouse to left or right screen, you dont need virtual desktop

WMR allows you to embed windows into a VR environment you're using... Assuming you're in Win 10 and not PSVR or some such.

thanks. so you can play games in vr and then just switch to chrome or firefox? do you need the vr controllers for that or can you just use the keyboard?

It will place virtual windows in your cockpit which you can assign to any app you have open. You can pin the virtual windows in any position and even alter their transparency. It also has a virtual keyboard. You have to use your controllers to position the windows or use the virtual keyboard.

how does it affect your performance?

I'm sure it will effect performance in the heavier areas of the game. I ran a few delivery missions last night while watching 720p TV episodes on VLC and found it better than other overlay tools I have tried. I guess give it a shot and refund in under two hours if you find the hit too much?

thanks, i will give it a shot
edit:eek:ne more question. can you also minimize the window when you dont need it or maybe even close it and then open it again with a button?

thanks, i will give it a shot
edit:eek:ne more question. can you also minimize the window when you dont need it or maybe even close it and then open it again with a button?

Yup, if you don't pin a window double tapping left A will close the window, double tapping again will bring it back up.

ok, just read some more about this program, seems like you need to use vr controllers for input. but the developer said he will implement k+m input soon.
this is his channel btw:
also from what i read it seems to be the best overlay app on steam.

yes i got a index from valve on pc. whats wmr?
WMR Windows Mixed Reality. Win 10 supports WMR natively without any special software or addons and MS are advancing it's capabilities far more aggressively than the 3PP environments I've used ( PimaxVR and SteamVR ). Like all MS products in emerging markets, their initial WMR versions were pretty ropey but now I wouldn't use anything else.

So... In the WMR rooftop apartment, I peeled one of the 20 foot tall web browsers off a wall and had it follow me into my cockpit in ED. However, it looked so incredibly out of place, it broke the immersion for me so I went back to using separate displays.

Accidentally put this in the wrong thread:

In looks so much better in (WM)reality but I've no way to record video. Looking through EDSY in Edge
20200418_191048_MixedReality.jpg

The controller is only visible because I used it to take the picture. Normally I just use voice commands, e.g. 'Go to Start', 'Camera' etc.
20200418_191203_MixedReality.jpg

And just because I like to plant things and WMR lets me; none of that grinding for ARX nonsense
20200418_191848_MixedReality.jpg

If I every figure out how to do this in video so you can see it working, I'll post it.

The one big fundamental downside is that WMR only allows one object at a time, e.g. I can't have a cactus and a web browser. Could be I've set something wrong.

Supercruise and farming USS' used to be boring in VR. Luckily, it seems MS have also cracked the fuzzy video playback problem:
20200418_225054_MixedReality.jpg

In ED, the video looks every bit as good as if using the monitor. When things get busy I just flick the screen to the side.

oh wow i didn't knew that program existed. i think i can do the same visual effects but not as an overlay. i don't know how to so i'll have to work on that. but that program that you are using is really nice.

Is it a special program you downloaded somewhere?

Last edited:
oh wow i didn't knew that program existed. i think i can do the same visual effects but not as an overlay. i don't know how to so i'll have to work on that. but that program that you are using is really nice.
Actually, I'm not using any special program. This is all part of Win 10

Top Bottom