virtual desktop and similar programs

I use Desktop Portal to access other applications when in game, it fully supports games like Elite which require application focus to work properly.

Desktop Portal is definitely better than WMR desktop embedding, however it's safe to say that Microsoft will render it redundant. The only reason I would pay for DP is that it supports multiple embedded apps whereas WMR only supports one at a time and we can guarantee the latter will change.

Don't get me wrong, I think what CircuitLord has done is brilliant work. However, Microsoft have decided that this is an investment area for them and in typical Microsoft fashion, they're late to the party and then they just take over from everyone else. I can guarantee that someone in Microsoft WMR has seen CircuitLord's good work. If I was him I would do what Mark Russinovich did with SysInternals and sell it to Microsoft. I fear he's investing hard work to sell a good product which Microsoft is quickly rendering moot - for free.

I've just noticed that WMR has already integrated Steam access within their environment but Steam haven't done the same for WMR so it's safe to say MS are being pretty aggressive about this.

Last edited:
I've purchased XSOverlay, but am having some difficulty understanding how to access it in ED. I have masses of computer experience in general (serious stuff, and at a very high level, but very little with gaming, and very little feel for the underlying VR/gaming platforms).

With XSOverlay being relatively new, there is little information out there about using it alongside games. I've watched the developer's youtube features video (linked above in this thread) and also have seen XSOverlay basically work in the SteamVR home.

When In ED (with XSOverlay launched before stating ED), I cannot find a way to activate/see the control panel on my wrist whilst in ED. I've seen an internet comment suggesting that the overlay windows need to be set up before going into ED? I've not tried that yet.

I think that my main use case for XSOverlay (should I get it working) will be to view a web browser window containing ED companion websites.

Relevant environment info: Win10 pro (64 bit) / Rift S HMD / ED was a Steam (direct) purchase last Xmas and have Horizons (DLC) / X-52 pro HOTAS / VoiceAttack (native PC app - not steam). Oculus touch controllers available but obviously not used in ED (available for interacting with XSOverlay in the short term until it is controllable by other means).

I've purchased XSOverlay, but am having some difficulty understanding how to access it in ED. I have masses of computer experience in general (serious stuff, and at a very high level, but very little with gaming, and very little feel for the underlying VR/gaming platforms).

With XSOverlay being relatively new, there is little information out there about using it alongside games. I've watched the developer's youtube features video (linked above in this thread) and also have seen XSOverlay basically work in the SteamVR home.

When In ED (with XSOverlay launched before stating ED), I cannot find a way to activate/see the control panel on my wrist whilst in ED. I've seen an internet comment suggesting that the overlay windows need to be set up before going into ED? I've not tried that yet.

I think that my main use case for XSOverlay (should I get it working) will be to view a web browser window containing ED companion websites.

Relevant environment info: Win10 pro (64 bit) / Rift S HMD / ED was a Steam (direct) purchase last Xmas and have Horizons (DLC) / X-52 pro HOTAS / VoiceAttack (native PC app - not steam). Oculus touch controllers available but obviously not used in ED (available for interacting with XSOverlay in the short term until it is controllable by other means).
I'm probably just being obtuse - when you say, "Control Panel on my wrist", are you talking about the ED Left panel, the ED Right panel or some panel within XSOverlay itself?

If it's either of the first two, is it possibly just ED losing input focus? I get this with WMR where, often ( because MS seem to have forgotten about this ), I'll watch a film, website etc. in my cockpit, using native WMR within W10, then find that my controls have stopped working because WMR has the input focus. Clicking the mouse on the ED window always fixes it though.

XSOverlay adds a small panel to the back your non-dominant hand which can be used to control XSOverlay itself.

Once XSObverlay is running properly, when you are holding a controller in that hand, looking at the back of the controller image of your hand you see the panel (and can control the buttons on it with the other hand's controller).

XSOverlay adds a small panel to the back your non-dominant hand which can be used to control XSOverlay itself.

Once XSObverlay is running properly, when you are holding a controller in that hand, looking at the back of the controller image of your hand you see the panel (and can control the buttons on it with the other hand's controller).
Ah ok, if it's XSO itself, I'm afraid I can't help. I don't know the app at all.

BTW, if all you want is a web browser, why bother with a 3rd party app? WMR does this natively. If you want lots of windows then I get it because currently WMR only allows one app at a time to be embedded in another VR app. Usually I'm watching films whilst grinding mats.

I'm not using WMR... I have a Rift S.
Hopefully @CylonSurfer will be along soon - apparently he has been able to get it working (and indeed recommended this app above)
Ah yes, of course. Still surprises me that Oculus don't support WMR natively considering it's on 100s of millions of PCs. I guess they're still enjoying their very comfortable market lead in actual headset sales.

@McKeon

XSOverlay worked for me by simply lauching the app via steam once the game had loaded. Worked fine launching before as well.

You seem to be using a Rift S, the Oculus home environment has the same functions of XSOverlay built in natively, its called 'Dash'. Via Oculus home you should be able to pin apps and windows without the need for 3rd party tools.

Re Oculius Dash - I'll give this a go later. I wasn't aware that you could pull Windows from the virtual PC in Home and pin them to instance over other apps.. A quick Youtube review suggests that it dows not overcome the app focus issue however, whilst not ideal, I should be able to work around that with VA if I stick with this route.

Re XSOverlay, I was launching it before ED, and never managed to get a squeak out of it in ED (no pinned windows visible, no wrist controls, no buttons work top activate the wrist controller). I'll try again.. I suspect that it will not work around app focus either though.

Top Bottom