Visible ground speed seems way too slow

Hi ... this isnt a new thing ... its a small gripe I've had with the game from the beginning.

When flying low across planetary surfaces the visible ground speed seems very slow when the ship is travelling at roughly 300mps.

Given that 300mps translates to over 1000kph I'd expect to see, when flying at 100m altitude, some fairly serious ground rush.

If I look at YouTube footage of low flying fighter jets, often travelling at several hundred KPH, they look like they're cooking along!

Then I look back at my Cobra boosting to 400mps just above the surface of a moon and I yawn ...

I dont think theres a realistic portrayal going on there.

Thoughts?

yea I agree its like flying a brick with the turbo stripped out of it, frontier elite 2 whilst having very little to draw makes the new ships look stationary if you fly over London say at speed
personally I would have prefered reduced graphics for an awesome sense of speed but that probably would not go down well with most.......................................
gta v did a pretty amazing job on getting this right , well at least planetary flybys are bang on the money

Last edited:
It pretty much has to be realistic, i.e. you are covering the ground at the stated speed (you can test it by flying a known distance - e.g. from Ferguson Prospect to Elwood Camp on Wasat A2E - and time it), it just seems slow because of scale and being higher than you think you are.

You can kinda see the effect in the following video. When I'm closer to the ground it feels a lot faster but as soon as I get a bit higher (very easy to do by accident) it seems to slow down.

[video=youtube_share;dJ0YBeHZK5c]https://youtu.be/dJ0YBeHZK5c[/video]

Last edited:
It pretty much has to be realistic, i.e. you are covering the ground at the stated speed (you can test it by flying a known distance - e.g. from Ferguson Prospect to Elwood Camp on Wasat A2E - and time it), it just seems slow because of scale and being higher than you think you are.

You can kinda see the effect in the following video. When I'm closer to the ground it feels a lot faster but as soon as I get a bit higher (very easy to do by accident) it seems to slow down.

https://youtu.be/dJ0YBeHZK5c

+1 for excellent choice of music in the video :D

I dont think theres a realistic portrayal going on there.

Thoughts?

Can't say I can agree, coming from someone that does a lot of canyon running and low level flying, the sense of speed is spot on. It ain't low level flying if the prox warning is not flashing.

This is a 20 sec clip from one of my flights last night, nowhere near as low as I normally fly (usually fly the IEagle) still gives you an idea.

I don't see any problem in the vid, the sense of speed (especially in VR) feels correct. Am at 100ft in the video, normally down to around 30ft in the Eagle.

[video=youtube_share;MtzVEAxU6pE]https://youtu.be/MtzVEAxU6pE[/video]

You get the same effect if you drive a car then jump into a truck and drive it. In the truck you are higher off the ground and the same speed seems slower.

Try it, even that small change will give you a noticeable difference.

Can't say I can agree, coming from someone that does a lot of canyon running and low level flying, the sense of speed is spot on. It ain't low level flying if the prox warning is not flashing.

This is a 20 sec clip from one of my flights last night, nowhere near as low as I normally fly (usually fly the IEagle) still gives you an idea.

I don't see any problem in the vid, the sense of speed (especially in VR) feels correct. Am at 100ft in the video, normally down to around 30ft in the Eagle.

https://youtu.be/MtzVEAxU6pE

I agree. 300mps a kilometer up, doesn't feel fast. But 800mps plus, 50m off the ground is a rush I've rarely felt, you really feel out of control at those speeds on planetary surfaces, as you have so much momentum even in tiny ships (the tiniest ship is still half a football pitch, let's not forget). ;)

What planet is that? And have you been to Ariel? Oh my god...

Last edited:
I agree. 300mps a kilometer up, doesn't feel fast. But 800mps plus, 50m off the ground is a rush I've rarely felt, you really feel out of control at those speeds on planetary surfaces, as you have so much momentum even in tiny ships (the tiniest ship is still half a football pitch, let's not forget). ;)

What planet is that? And have you been to Ariel? Oh my god...

Ariel is one of my in-game holiday destinations, often head over there with friends for some trench runs. I hope the new update fixes it again, whilst still a stunning sight, the terrain normalisation really messed up Ariel. Some of the trenches felt like being at the bottom of an ocean.

Vid is out in the Pleiades, 20km out from Alcazars hope, a great base for cmdrs in the region.

If I look at YouTube footage of low flying fighter jets, often travelling at several hundred KPH, they look like they're cooking along!

That's because you see recognizable features like trees and vegetation and buildings giving you a sense of scale and therefore speed. Now think of looking out the window in an airliner flying above the cloud cover: do you get the sense you're flying at 1000kph? Probably not, because there's not much for your mind to grab on to and compare. You know clouds are big, but they're usually far below (and, well, hazy) so you'd need to use the old trick of staring at the edge of the window to see how fast they're dissapearing behind the frame (but that only tells you how fast you're going, it doesn't help make you feel it).

For the moment the landable planets in ED are baren rocks, so there's of course not much in the way of all that, you'll need to skim the ground if you want a sense of speed, to see the finer grain ground texture and individual boulders.

Last edited:
You get the same effect if you drive a car then jump into a truck and drive it. In the truck you are higher off the ground and the same speed seems slower.

Try it, even that small change will give you a noticeable difference.

Precisely.

Play a racing game and change from bumper view to above/behind view, and that's only a difference in height of about 5-6 feet.

It's got everything todo with the height from the ground which makes a huge difference to percievable speed.

Precisely.

Play a racing game and change from bumper view to above/behind view, and that's only a difference in height of about 5-6 feet.

It's got everything todo with the height from the ground which makes a huge difference to percievable speed.

I agree to a certain extent. An I think that the lack of speed sence is because there is too little ground detail to whoosh by when flying.

https://youtu.be/dJ0YBeHZK5c

aaaand here we have he enxt "ring race" location.

Last edited:
aaaand here we have he enxt "rign race" location.

Wasat A2E? It's s terrific 50km course, been used a lot for SRV racing. Here's one of my better runs ...

[video=youtube_share;iKBf255Sbjs]https://youtu.be/iKBf255Sbjs[/video]

Edit: or the route I fly in the SLF? That's called the "Sandy Ring Racetrack", lots of details on the course over here ..

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-Grand-Prix!?p=4513484&viewfull=1#post4513484

SRV_Route_Map_zpstmaaski1.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom