VKB’s new “Stecs” throttle announced for ‘later this week’.

I eventually ended up getting a second SEM because it was a little too tight once I took off all the sides to attach. The second SEM I mostly use as the picture studio in ED and to also control Nvidia ShadowPlay, discord and OBS. In the 2 pics you can see I also purchased the tablet extention... that extension is in 2 halves, in the second pic where I'm lifting the unit, I've taken off the second half of that tablet connector and have attached my StreamDeck with Velcro to the first half of the stand (the second half is still fully functional as a tablet stand on it's own)...
Looking pretty awesome and creative getting the Stream Deck up close and personal. Stream doesn't support my Windows 7 PC but I'm working on that. Not a lot of cables coming out of your setup.

Is your GNX SEM connected to the NXT EVO joystick and does it work with the 32 button limit in ED? If yes I won't wait for another H1D USB controller and hook it up. CMDR Esteban used VKB software to create two virtual controllers for his GNX WWII throttle (uses a SEM and a THQ) combo with 38 buttons. Maybe that isn't an issue with the basic SEM/joystick.

Thanks for letting me post your earlier picture on the thread. I wasn't sure where I got it from long ago. Your setup inspired the one I'm building.

Regards

I eventually ended up getting a second SEM because it was a little too tight once I took off all the sides to attach. The second SEM I mostly use as the picture studio in ED and to also control Nvidia ShadowPlay, discord and OBS. In the 2 pics you can see I also purchased the tablet extention... that extension is in 2 halves, in the second pic where I'm lifting the unit, I've taken off the second half of that tablet connector and have attached my StreamDeck with Velcro to the first half of the stand (the second half is still fully functional as a tablet stand on it's own)

View attachment 362150

View attachment 362151
Nice. I don't have any side modules, but I have a Streamdeck XL, and the additional challenge of making it work with my VR chair setup. My VR chair is an IKEA Poäng that is standing in the middle of my room. I can't sit in my desk chair for too long without constantly shifting the position, or I will get severe back pain, and that doesn't work in VR. The Poäng is the only chair I can sit in for hours on end without issues for my back. I love it.

I had my controls on a sawhorse (sticks left and right, and Streamdeck and Keyboard between them) for the longest time, which I could place over my lap once I sat down in the chair. The elevated position especially of the right stick gave me severe shoulder pain after a while, I could imagine the same problem applies when the sticks are propped up on a desk.

Anyway, I found it much more comfortable and relaxed to have the sticks on the armrests, pretty much at the natural hand positions. I also had to find ways to mount the Streamdeck and my keyboard. My result was this:

gooseneck_02-jpg.352430
gooseneck_01-jpg.352429

The upper, softer part of the keyboard swan neck broke since I took the pictures, because it was constantly being bent out of the way to get in and out of the chair. But the stick positions are awesome, and the Streamdeck mount works very well. I just put the keyboard in my lap now, which is less ideal, but still works as it is heavy enough (it's a Logitech MX Mini, which is built like a tank).

Last edited:
Looking pretty awesome and creative getting the Stream Deck up close and personal. Stream doesn't support my Windows 7 PC but I'm working on that. Not a lot of cables coming out of your setup.

Is your GNX SEM connected to the NXT EVO joystick and does it work with the 32 button limit in ED? If yes I won't wait for another H1D USB controller and hook it up. CMDR Esteban used VKB software to create two virtual controllers for his GNX WWII throttle (uses a SEM and a THQ) combo with 38 buttons. Maybe that isn't an issue with the basic SEM/joystick.

Thanks for letting me post your earlier picture on the thread. I wasn't sure where I got it from long ago. Your setup inspired the one I'm building.

Regards
Thanx, the StreamDeck plugin for when you want it, is from this post (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...lugin-for-elite-dangerous.534521/post-8222175), and it is 'Active' in that it gets return info from ED... 'Cargo scoop open' from within game, it shows on deck... FA-off' it shows, pips to engines/weapons and many others... but also they can be controlled from the Deck as well.

Both of my SEM's are internally connected to their neighboring EVO (1 usb per pairing), and the 2 SEM's are connected to each other with a blank connector. At first I did have all the reinforcement plates connected underneath, but eventually only kept the middle reinforcement plate so I can have access to swapping out springs. I would have kept all plates connected but I had already stripped one of the screws, So I didn't want to risk not having quick access and needing a screw extractor. With all reinforcement play the unit is rock solid with absolutely no flex at all... With just the middle plate there is maybe 2-3 degrees of arch from one end to the other. If it was being placed in my lap I would certainly want the reinforcements... but mine is desktop use only so not necessary.

Initially I had my first EVO/SEM set up as 2 virtual devices, but what I realized after a while is 'POV's don't seem to count in that 32 button limit (and actually much easier to recognize what's what in the bindings) So with each EVO having 4 different POV's, that's 16 extra programmable buttons on top of the 32 limit. So depending on what you do with the SEM 'Mode' and other 2 slides... Including the POV 'push-in' as a button you Start with 29 buttons (the 'Mode' and levers depending how setup, can add up to an additional 11 buttons, and in that case would go over the 32 limit). Actually the 'smart stick' press-in is not counting as a button, I have one of them programmed to switch to mouse mode, and the other set to switch to 2 additional 'axis' (for ED I already have too many Axis, but maybe for other flight sims you could use for 'Trim' or whatever else.

In this pic below you can see how the wiring differs from left and right connections, and you can see the different detents (for anyone who doesn't have it yet). I have detents installed in one of the SEM's and the other I have set as Axis (the 2 white pieces are the detents and the 2 with the ball-bearings exposed are smooth full axis only (I say smooth axis because you can install the detents while in Axis mode or re-program each detent position as button presses... Actually I believe I remember you can program dual functionality IE... the full axis functionality Plus top of the axis detent provides a button press as well as bottom of the axis providing an additional button press. I have one of the SEM Axis setup as the Sensor Zoom level and had another set up in the FSS scan tuning.

The BIG fun comes in with those 'Mode' Switches, I set mine to...
1 - No functionality (default controls)
2 - Curves (adjustment for each stick)
3 - Shift 1
4 - Shift 2

You can set up to 8 different custom curves adjustment, all individually programmable for each axis (I only have 1 curves setup for when I'm flying FA-off to help control over-correction) The different curves on the fly are more useful in airplane flight simulators with different planes having huge changes in reactions to pitch yaw etc.
Shift 1 & 2 are capable of completely changing the controller configuration since Every button on both the EVO and SEM is preconfigured to have 3 roles... default, shift 1 and shift 2... So by using the Mode switch you can alter as many buttons as you want all at once. And each on of the 3 states of a button has about 14 different programming capabilities... Curves, MACRO's, Radio switching, Toggle with 2 separate assignments, mouse buttons, keyboard presses, etc... The ammount of control just becomes ridiculous with all the possibilities, and 'Mode' gives you those changes on the fly. That's why it became worth it for me to get the second SEM (I setup up the LED's to show when I'm recording video, other LED's showing when my Mic is live, the 3 'B' buttons used for locking into wing members... etc.

20230424_215042.jpg

20230424_222022.jpg

Nice. I don't have any side modules, but I have a Streamdeck XL, and the additional challenge of making it work with my VR chair setup. My VR chair is an IKEA Poäng that is standing in the middle of my room. I can't sit in my desk chair for too long without constantly shifting the position, or I will get severe back pain, and that doesn't work in VR. The Poäng is the only chair I can sit in for hours on end without issues for my back. I love it.

I had my controls on a sawhorse (sticks left and right, and Streamdeck and Keyboard between them) for the longest time, which I could place over my lap once I sat down in the chair. The elevated position especially of the right stick gave me severe shoulder pain after a while, I could imagine the same problem applies when the sticks are propped up on a desk.

Anyway, I found it much more comfortable and relaxed to have the sticks on the armrests, pretty much at the natural hand positions. I also had to find ways to mount the Streamdeck and my keyboard. My result was this:

gooseneck_02-jpg.352430
gooseneck_01-jpg.352429

The upper, softer part of the keyboard swan neck broke since I took the pictures, because it was constantly being bent out of the way to get in and out of the chair. But the stick positions are awesome, and the Streamdeck mount works very well. I just put the keyboard in my lap now, which is less ideal, but still works as it is heavy enough (it's a Logitech MX Mini, which is built like a tank).
I've been having a lot of seating problems lately too... Been looking at a couple of those Ikea chairs as well... Nice setup. I still have my Logitech X52... I might have to copy your setup for when my back can't handle the desk......... Hmm... that's actually looking REALLY comfy.

Actually with the STECS... I might just do an Alt VKB build...

I've been having a lot of seating problems lately too... Been looking at a couple of those Ikea chairs as well... Nice setup. I still have my Logitech X52... I might have to copy your setup for when my back can't handle the desk......... Hmm... that's actually looking REALLY comfy.

Actually with the STECS... I might just do an Alt VKB build...
My Poäng is pretty old; I think I bought it maybe 15 years ago? I don't really remember. Anyway, it is pretty banged up with dents and scratches, so it is not really living room material anymore. But I enjoy sitting in it immensely. It is literally the best chair for my back that's been wrecked by scoliosis for 35 years ;).

Thanx, the StreamDeck plugin for when you want it, is from this post (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...lugin-for-elite-dangerous.534521/post-8222175), and it is 'Active' in that it gets return info from ED... 'Cargo scoop open' from within game, it shows on deck... FA-off' it shows, pips to engines/weapons and many others... but also they can be controlled from the Deck as well.

Both of my SEM's are internally connected to their neighboring EVO (1 usb per pairing), and the 2 SEM's are connected to each other with a blank connector. At first I did have all the reinforcement plates connected underneath, but eventually only kept the middle reinforcement plate so I can have access to swapping out springs. I would have kept all plates connected but I had already stripped one of the screws, So I didn't want to risk not having quick access and needing a screw extractor. With all reinforcement play the unit is rock solid with absolutely no flex at all... With just the middle plate there is maybe 2-3 degrees of arch from one end to the other. If it was being placed in my lap I would certainly want the reinforcements... but mine is desktop use only so not necessary.

Initially I had my first EVO/SEM set up as 2 virtual devices, but what I realized after a while is 'POV's don't seem to count in that 32 button limit (and actually much easier to recognize what's what in the bindings) So with each EVO having 4 different POV's, that's 16 extra programmable buttons on top of the 32 limit. So depending on what you do with the SEM 'Mode' and other 2 slides... Including the POV 'push-in' as a button you Start with 29 buttons (the 'Mode' and levers depending how setup, can add up to an additional 11 buttons, and in that case would go over the 32 limit). Actually the 'smart stick' press-in is not counting as a button, I have one of them programmed to switch to mouse mode, and the other set to switch to 2 additional 'axis' (for ED I already have too many Axis, but maybe for other flight sims you could use for 'Trim' or whatever else.

In this pic below you can see how the wiring differs from left and right connections, and you can see the different detents (for anyone who doesn't have it yet). I have detents installed in one of the SEM's and the other I have set as Axis (the 2 white pieces are the detents and the 2 with the ball-bearings exposed are smooth full axis only (I say smooth axis because you can install the detents while in Axis mode or re-program each detent position as button presses... Actually I believe I remember you can program dual functionality IE... the full axis functionality Plus top of the axis detent provides a button press as well as bottom of the axis providing an additional button press. I have one of the SEM Axis setup as the Sensor Zoom level and had another set up in the FSS scan tuning.

The BIG fun comes in with those 'Mode' Switches, I set mine to...
1 - No functionality (default controls)
2 - Curves (adjustment for each stick)
3 - Shift 1
4 - Shift 2

You can set up to 8 different custom curves adjustment, all individually programmable for each axis (I only have 1 curves setup for when I'm flying FA-off to help control over-correction) The different curves on the fly are more useful in airplane flight simulators with different planes having huge changes in reactions to pitch yaw etc.
Shift 1 & 2 are capable of completely changing the controller configuration since Every button on both the EVO and SEM is preconfigured to have 3 roles... default, shift 1 and shift 2... So by using the Mode switch you can alter as many buttons as you want all at once. And each on of the 3 states of a button has about 14 different programming capabilities... Curves, MACRO's, Radio switching, Toggle with 2 separate assignments, mouse buttons, keyboard presses, etc... The ammount of control just becomes ridiculous with all the possibilities, and 'Mode' gives you those changes on the fly. That's why it became worth it for me to get the second SEM (I setup up the LED's to show when I'm recording video, other LED's showing when my Mic is live, the 3 'B' buttons used for locking into wing members... etc.
Thanks for all the info and pictures! That's going to help a lot! I couldn't remember then saw the Stream XL. That's the one I was looking for.

I purchased a right side reinforcement plate then decided to mount the SEM on the left. Yes, two screws into metal threads and two into plastic which can strip easily is a pain when opening up the controllers. Being on the desktop I probably wont't need any. Also the controllers really stick to the TtEsports Dasher 400x900mm (15.75x35.5in) mouse pad on the desktop. It has a semi-course anti-slip surface where the mouse moves smoothly while controllers and keyboards stay in place. Even the Omni Throttle doesn't move.

Looking at other player's VKB bindings it is ridiculous what can be accomplished. There are some very maneuverable ships flying around out there! Haven't done any serious programming but I've got the lighting down. If anyone is bored with ED just go get some VKB gear and become a REAL enginner after mastering it.

OK, I went for it connecting the GNX SEM to the NXT EVO joystick. VKBDevCfg loves them. Windows 7 Pro doesn't. Wait...Windows 7 is just as old as ED and only shows 32 bindings. Going to ED it sees the joystick and not the SEM. It wiped my bindings but I have templates and backup for the old setup. I'll just wait a few days until the H1D USB controller comes in.

Last edited:
Here is the build and all is working fine with each module connected by USB to the PC. No worries with the 32 button limit. I also locked the Y and Z axis making the throttle a push-pull only with a hat for the thrusters. Trying to manual land on a rough planet had me all over the place getting into the blue landing zone.

Looking at all the commercial aircraft autopilot labels on the FSM reminds me of how the Elite Dangerous Advanced Docking Computer and Supercruise Assist could use a lot of improvements! Meanwhile I love a clean looking install and looking at all the pretty green lights! :)

Gladiator NXT Evo omni throttle - LH
Gladiator NXT EVO space combat premium - RH
GNX FSM-GA switchboard module
GNX SEM side extension module
GNX MFH multi-function holder
2 GNX USB H1D controllers

Regards

desktop05.jpg

Yeah, I’m confused.
@EtherNyx - what are you talking about?
Thanks! I would like more information about TECS vs GNX. I use a VKB GF MkII with Kosmosima grip and a hold Throttle CH products.
It seems that TECS offers more possibilities and greater versatility (Standard and >) than GNX options.
But it also seems a bit overkill for ED and a bit more expensive than GNX.

What do you think?
tyxs again and sorry for my humour. ;)

More expensive, certainly. But I wouldn’t call it overkill. STECS has more buttons/functionality and an analogue mini-stick which you can use for translational thrusters (like the CH Pro-Throttle but more refined and without the infamous CH jitter, I would expect). From what I know of it, it seems ideal for ED.

I don't own one, but of the VKB range, I would suggest the STECS is probably the best throttle option unless you‘re the type of player who might enjoy a dual-stick set up (I personally would not). I’m sticking with my GNX WW2 Throttle + SEM (paired with a Gladiator stick) for now, but may get a STECS in the future.

Agree with you about CH. This is my main reason to swap it.
Because I'm also a flight simmer (but not on liner plane..), TECS throttle could be a good choice. Honnestly, i like the GNX concepts with a lot of combination of various modules to build a personnal custom setup. It this a great idea. But ok, should be fine with TECS throttle. I'll have to take my wife out to dinner before she sees that monster on my desk!
Last point, it seems a better idea to get the Std Models instead Mini+ , a good value for the money.
Thanks

Top Bottom