VKB’s new “Stecs” throttle announced for ‘later this week’.

Oh wait...what VKB modules connects directly to your PC via USB as in...
Gladiator NXT EVO joystick
WWII GNX SEM side extension vertical
WWII GNX THQ with grip
*The Gladiator NXT EVO is connected by USB to the PC (one HID controller; fewer than 32 buttons).
*The GNX WWII Throttle combined with the vertical side extension module (SEM-V) is connected by another USB to the PC - this I received as one combined unit from VKB that you can see in the link I posted earlier (so also one HID controller; but combined makes it 38 buttons).

However, with the WWII Throttle and the SEMs (and other modules) you can also order them as separate units and if each has its own HID (or you buy a HID for them - not sure how that works) then you can obviate ED’s ridiculous 32-button limit that way. I could have gone this route but chose the greater simplicity of ordering the single combined throttle/SEM unit and solving the limit using VKB’s complex software to create two virtual controllers instead (swings and roundabouts).

I honestly think you’re better off keeping it simple with as few controllers as possible, unless you want to build a full modular set-up (which VKB does well). Replace your janky Thrustmaster wotsit with the new VKB throttle and if you’re so inclined add a SEM to your Gladiator (but you will exceed the 32-button limit there unless you use separate HIDs or create two virtual controllers with the clunky software as I did).

It also depends on what other games you use your controllers for. I also use mine for Microsoft Flight Simulator so I have to take that into account.

Cheers for the advice. I'm very tempted to switch over to the HOSAS setup by grabbing the left VKB Gladiator Omni Throttle as well as the right hand stick. I was a bit leery of using a HOSAS setup at first, but then I saw that you could get an angled left stick that can be used as a throttle on the z-twist.
Just do it :D You won't regret it.

I use Z for up and down thrusters, personally (Y axis for forward and back thrust) and set the throttle using the A1 hat (supercruise and general throttle limiting elsewhere) but it doesn't really matter - with the omni + stick you get all 6 degrees of freedom on stick axes alone - and then some (make sure you get the premium versions, you get more buttons and hats than you can throw a stick at); I don't have to use my keyboard at all, most of the time.

It took me only a day or so to get used to using this setup after using mouse and keyboard since launch, which I think speaks to the natural feel of applying 6 degrees of freedom to stick control using this setup (it wouldn't quite feel the same if you just had two sticks or one stick and a throttle). It's very high quality as well, really solid and feels premium, despite being on the low-end of premium pricing.

Last edited:
Just do it :D You won't regret it.

I use Z for up and down thrusters, personally (Y axis for forward and back thrust) and set the throttle using the A1 hat (supercruise and general throttle limiting elsewhere) but it doesn't really matter - with the omni + stick you get all 6 degrees of freedom on stick axis alone - and then some (make sure you get the premium versions, you get more buttons and hats than you can throw a stick at); I don't have to use my keyboard at all, most of the time.

It took me only a day or so to get used to using this setup after using mouse and keyboard since launch, which I think speaks to the natural feel of applying 6 degrees of freedom to stick control using this setup (it wouldn't quite feel the same if you just had two sticks or one stick and a throttle). It's very high quality as well, really solid and feels premium, despite being on the low-end of premium pricing.

I like the idea of controlling the throttle like one would on a motorbike. At the moment I'm using an X-56 HOTAS, which has lasted longer than the two X-52s which quickly fell apart when I used them.

I'm set on the omnithrottle and stick now, just need to put aside the necessary money...

Still awaiting some parts but it is starting to shape up. Then the binding nightmare moving the X-56 switch controls to the modules.

desktop02.jpg

Wouldn't the side-extension be better suited on the throttle side - I mean why have to take your hand off the main flight control to operate it?

edited for a typo
I'm left handed so no room for the mouse if I connect the modules to the Omni Throttle. For right handed they will have an advantage with the modules on the left. Still most of my X-56 switch bindings are generic lights, cargo scoop, cameras, menus etc. Important ones like heatsinks, fire groups, silent running. on foot combat I'll put on the hats of the Omni throttle and the joystick. Well, that's the plan...

Last edited:
I'm left handed so no room for the mouse if I connect the modules to the Omni Throttle. For right handed they will have an advantage with the modules on the left. Still most of my X-56 switch bindings are generic lights, cargo scoop, cameras, menus etc. Important ones like heatsinks, fire groups, silent running. on foot combat I'll put on the hats of the Omni throttle and the joystick. Well, that's the plan...

I see. Can you not "unconvert" the omni into a LH stick and swap the omni adapter to the RHS? ( I have not looked at my omni to see if it can be de-converted or if the omni adapters are actually "handed" too. )

Then I found this. Hmm, if I put the modules in the middle it might work for everyone...I just love creative gamers.

middle.jpg

Note the GNX MFH multi-function holder besides VKB vertical modules can mount or hold touch screens, pads, smartphones etc. Stream Decks would mount nicely on it.

Last edited:
I see. Can you not "unconvert" the omni into a LH stick and swap the omni adapter to the RHS? ( I have not looked at my omni to see if it can be de-converted or if the omni adapters are actually "handed" too. )
The Omni Throttle Adapter was first designed to work with a standard Gladiator NXT EVO joystick but no need to move it as we can purchase the full version now. Those who purchased two standard joysticks can easily convert one with a few parts.

Checking I'd say nope with what I have. The screws mounting the grip to the OTA and the OTA to the base are not symmetrical and wouldn't line up when the grip is leaning to the left instead of the right. Still a great brain storming question. That's how the world makes progress well sometimes.

UPDATE: Checking VKB North America they sell the Omni Throttle Adapter ($30.00) and the Omni Throttle in both left and right hand versions. A player owning two standard joysticks could go either way. If a player wants to fly left handed this is the only right handed throttle I know on the market.

OTA.jpg

Last edited:
The OTA is sold by VKB in handed versions, so that is probably a hard no. Another issue to look out for, just in case: If you mount the side module to the left side of a left hand Omni Throttle, the OTA will collide with the throttle lever of the side module.

The OTA is sold by VKB in handed versions, so that is probably a hard no. Another issue to look out for, just in case: If you mount the side module to the left side of a left hand Omni Throttle, the OTA will collide with the throttle lever of the side module.
I just checked. That is the flaps control which by the way can be converted into an analog type control. Take the fancy round part off the basic flaps handle and the Omni Throttle easily clears it.

CORRECTION: The above was the Omni Throttle placed next to the GNX SEM module. When attached they would be 30cm closer and I think that you are right as the throttle will probably hit the flaps control.

There is one other module called the GNX THQ Throttle Quadrant designed for variations of jet and propeller driven throttles which would have the same problem. So a module setup could be attached to the right of the Omni Throttle or placed separately on the left with a little space to clear the throttle.

Oh well, I'm learning as we go along. Exploring the hardware combinations of this equipment is what this thread is all about to provide lots of info in one place for players desiring to create their own custom setup for Elite Dangerous. Keep the suggestions and observations coming. :)

Last edited:
Here is a center build setup. The Omni Throttle moving around is going to hide controls on the FSM-GA module so it has issues. It would work fine if just installing the GNX SEM module and nothing else.

desktop03.jpg

The solution? Attach the modules to the right joystick and keep the Omni Throttle separate. Now all controls are visible and close which can be quickly accessed right or left handed. I can also position the throttle for a desired throw. For flight sims one could add a GNX THQ propeller throttle module for RPM and mixture between the GNX SEM and the Omni Throttle. I'm liking this. What do you think?

desktop04.jpg

Last edited:
THQ and SEM modules come with a module coupler to connect with a joystick. If I wanted to connect both joysticks to just one module I would need another coupler. Here is a picture of them and also the H1D controller required to connect a single module to a PC via USB.

coupler.jpg

Last edited:
Don’t forget the axis and encoder wheel on the base of each of your Gladiators - these can used for mixture and propeller rpm if you don’t want to get a THQ for that.

On my Gladiator I use the base axis for elevator trim, and have programmed the encoder wheel as a slider for mixture. I use the secondary axis on my GNX WWII throttle for propeller rpm.

I created these VKB templates to help everyone with the bindings. Designed for landscape 8.5 x 11in and A4 300dpi printing.

UPDATE: I moved updated templates to a new thread versus this one about a new VKB throttle. I'm embarrassed not wanting to take over an OPs discussion. Heck I'll probably buy the new throttle later.

Link

Last edited:
Then I found this. Hmm, if I put the modules in the middle it might work for everyone...I just love creative gamers.

Note the GNX MFH multi-function holder besides VKB vertical modules can mount or hold touch screens, pads, smartphones etc. Stream Decks would mount nicely on it.
I eventually ended up getting a second SEM because it was a little too tight once I took off all the sides to attach. The second SEM I mostly use as the picture studio in ED and to also control Nvidia ShadowPlay, discord and OBS. In the 2 pics you can see I also purchased the tablet extention... that extension is in 2 halves, in the second pic where I'm lifting the unit, I've taken off the second half of that tablet connector and have attached my StreamDeck with Velcro to the first half of the stand (the second half is still fully functional as a tablet stand on it's own)

20230425_000749.jpg

20230513_163853.jpg

Top Bottom